Hypo

Kerry74

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hot and spicy food
is anyone experiencing hypos in hot weather ??? Had 4 in past 2 days reduced my background insulin and still having hypos has anyone got any advice

Coopsman1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am by no means an expert as only diagnosed Dec 16, however I have noticed trends over the past week. I have since reduced my basal by 1 unit in the morning and it seems to delay hypos. I still get one around 5pm so I shall either prepare for it or reduce basal by another half unit.

I do however keep an eye on the weather forecast in case of any heatwaves or sudden plummets in temperature as I will revert back to my normal basal dose.

It is trial and error, but have you done recent basal testing? This may bring out some info you can work with.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
is anyone experiencing hypos in hot weather ??? Had 4 in past 2 days reduced my background insulin and still having hypos has anyone got any advice

I kept going low one day this week and spent a lot of time eating : D Things have settled now so I haven't adjusted my insulin.

My advice is to do extra tests and eat both short and long acting carbs if necessary. If you're sure it is the hot weather causing it, you can think about tweaking your insulin a little more, but I rarely bother as I find hot weather can also send me higher, so I tend to,test and react as necessary with either food or a correction.

Your body may be more predictable!

When I do adjust my insulin, I often adjust my boluses as well/instead of my basal as I find that works for me. YMMV.

Dairygrade

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Having diabetes
Hi kerry74 I must say I haven't noticed my sugars going low due to hot weather but I do try to keep out of the sun when it's really hot as I know sweating can lower b's also do try to drink more so don't get dehydrated.all the best for future.

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am currently away in Europe and it took a few days before I started getting late afternoon/early evening hypos coming on. I've since knocked my basal back a unit and so far so good today.

I'm not sure if it was the added swimming every few days (hope not as I tried to deal with that with snacking and lower boluses before) or the more consistent sunshine and heat.