Type 2 Hypoglycemia : should I reduce dosage of the meds ?

Joetheseus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello everyone,

I have been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes for over two years now and most of the times it has been relatively stable as I take meds.
A year ago I reduced the dosage to two Metformin 850 mg per day that I take separately (breakfast and dinner ) because the previous one was too high and I got hypoglycemia when I try to stick to diet and to some exercises.

Right now I seem to have the same problem. When I stick to the diet, the meds and the exercises I get hypoglycemia throughout the day but when I stop the meds and stop caring too much about the diet it gets too high. Any advises ? Should I try to reduce the dosage of Metformin a little to find a balance ?

As a side note.I live in Morocco and doctors are , with few exceptions , not a great help. You can only get 15 minutes out of them in few months and there doesn't seem to be any great planing.

Thank you for reading :)

Reactions: 2 people

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You could try reducing the Metformin, but also try reducing carb intake at the same time to compensate. Low carb is the way many of us are going here in the UK, and there is a load of advice on how to do it, There is a Low Carb subthread running, with recipes etc. Personally I am doing the LCHF diet, because I do not need to lose weight, and the added fat gives me the calories to keep it steady.

Joetheseus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You could try reducing the Metformin, but also try reducing carb intake at the same time to compensate. Low carb is the way many of us are going here in the UK, and there is a load of advice on how to do it, There is a Low Carb subthread running, with recipes etc. Personally I am doing the LCHF diet, because I do not need to lose weight, and the added fat gives me the calories to keep it steady.

Thanks for the reply. Much appreciated. I will try to reduce it a little and keep checking to see how it goes. Thank for the info about the diet. I will already follow a low carb diet but I will check it out for more information.

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I stopped taking Metformin as I was having too many hypos as well but it is important to make sure you keep up to speed with your diet and not get complacent.

Reactions: 2 people