Hypos and brain function

Marling

We know that our brain goes off the rails during a hypo, thinking straight becomes a problem.

My question: How do serious hypos affect our brains long-term. Can they cause memory loss and early dementia? After over 50 years of T1 with some serious hypos and many not so dangerous ones, I would like to know how my poor brain may be coping.

Can anyone recommend any books on the subject, please?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Not a lot of literature regarding hypo's and effects on brain long term.

Prob because the human insulin that has these effects has only been out for about 30 years.. Slightly longer, may be.

So many of us diagnosed 30 years ago are still here.. A bit daft probably, but I think it would be really hard for a researcher to say my brain is addled due to hypo's.. As it could be allsorts of things like living within 100ft of a pylon, the qty of coffee's and any other possible thing I have done in my life..

I think a lot of brain for a lot of people disentegrates with age .... Old people driving scares me!!! Bet the majority of those scary drivers haven't had human insulin for 30 years....

Think this would also be a liability to compensation claims if it was ever proved that human insulin affected the brain longterm, so can't really ever see too many medical companies jjumping in to investigate ir research...

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Much as DD says there's not a lot out there with regards to this subject, however suffice to say the fewer hypo's the better.

Reactions: 2 people