Hypos in third trimester

JBlaza

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, traffic fumes
I am currently 32 weeks pregnant and for the past week or so I have started to have more and more hypos. I was at the point when I am below 4 before each meal and having a hypo each night (testing 2.2, 2.4 on waking!). I have not been more active, the opposite if anything - I had a head cold last week so haven't been to the gym in over a week now and have spent more time than normal on the sofa recuperating. I never felt unwell, just extra tired and with a runny nose.

I have reduced my insulin and been in contact with my Diabetes midwife, who in turn has spoken to the obstetrician and diabetes consultant. I was expecting my insulin requirements to go up as I got bigger, not lower! The obvious worry we are all warned about is the placenta failing. I went in yesterday afternoon to be monitored and they are happy with the baby's heartbeat so they don't think this is the issue. I have a 32 week scan booked for Friday already so this will be more thoroughly checked then and I know my baby is active today. I will also be seeing the obstetrician and diabetes consultant so I do feel well looked after but of course I am having a bit of a worry!

The other potential cause they mentioned is steroids (specifically cortisol), that my levels might be lower than they should be and this can cause hypos. They have taken bloods and are hoping the results are back for Friday. Of course I had a quick look on Google so saw T1Ds are more prone to Addisons, but all the early symptoms are fairly non-specific and sound like being pregnant anyway (tiredness, skin darkening)! The only one that did ring true was thirst as I am back to waking up thirsty in the night, but again I know pregnant women need to drink more.

The only other thing I can think is that this is honeymoon related - I was only diagnosed in May 2015.

Sorry for the long post but my question is: has anyone got experience of hypos in the third trimester, and what was the issue in the end? Or was everything just fine?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
There are a number of threads here @JBlaza on hypos in the 3rd trimester. In fact, I initially thought you'd posted on an old thread here.

Try searching just in the Pregnancy section or looking back through the pages.

I'm glad your team are so on the ball. Don't panic. You've spotted it and you're being monitored and receiving tests :) That's all excellent news.

You mentioned your cold. Could it possibly be in any way related to that? I ask because colds send me low.

Keep testing and keep hypo treatments everywhere. Set an alarm for the night if you don't already so you can test then to spot dropping sugars.

There was a lady here with a similar issue recently but I can't remember who. But nothing bad happened - just plenty of monitoring.

I know,how worrying it must be. Once it's in your head you can't stop thinking about the placenta. But it sounds like you're being watched closely and also that you're very switched on :)