Hypo's on Metformin

amanda19640

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Moaning for moanings sake!!
Can i ask what happens/how u feel when having a hypo?

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It can be different for each individual and it also depends how quickly it drops. My lowest has been 2.9 and I felt fine as I was just fluffing about at home but on another occasion it was 3.7 and I had the shakes, sweating, slurred speech and I instantly lost all my energy all because it dropped suddenly. I dont know if you have done the hypo awareness program, if not it is really good as it is all about recognising your bodys reactions to going low.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
It can be different for each individual and it also depends how quickly it drops. My lowest has been 2.9 and I felt fine as I was just fluffing about at home but on another occasion it was 3.7 and I had the shakes, sweating, slurred speech and I instantly lost all my energy all because it dropped suddenly. I dont know if you have done the hypo awareness program, if not it is really good as it is all about recognising your bodys reactions to going low.

Now that you are off meds, do you still hypo?

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes

There are so many symptoms and so diverse, that to quantify a hypo is different for all of us.
But, the main ones are, blurred vision, headache, shaking, fibrillation, nausea, sweating, tingling, anxiety, etc. I have a list of symptoms on the Reactive Hypoglycaemia forum, in the sticky for the basics. I would give you a link, but I've tried but can't, sorry!

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@nosher8355 yes I do still hypo if Im not careful. I make sure I always have peanuts if I feel I am going a bit low they will generally bring it back up just enough to be over 4 but a couple of weekends ago I had a day of hypo hell where I was delivering pamphlets and it just kept dropping so I gave up and went home because I felt like absolute s***.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi @4ratbags.
If you are not on meds, you shouldn't be having hypos, something else is causing it!
I don't want to suggest anything, but it does ring a bell for me.
And also if you are low carbing you shouldn't be having hypos!
How long after eating do you hypo?
Can you fast?

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It would generally be about 2-3 hrs after eating but I usually do a couple of hours walking so I will usually have a handful of nuts every 30-40 mins to keep it up.

Reactions: 2 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
It would generally be about 2-3 hrs after eating but I usually do a couple of hours walking so I will usually have a handful of nuts every 30-40 mins to keep it up.

Have you had a word with your GP about the hypoglycaemic episodes?
Do have a read of the RH forum. Because I was diagnosed T2 and I had similar symptoms and found I was hypoglycaemic.
I'm not certain but maybe like my GP, yours doesn't have a clue about Hypoglycaemia!

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
No I havnt spoken to my GP about it, while they are nice (husband and wife) I dont really think they have a clue. I went to see him a couple of months ago about my lightheadedness and even though lots of tests were done they havnt found out whats causing it. I will check out the RH forum though :)

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Let us know what you think!
Happy New Year!

BeccaScott

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I don't like travelling
I went X-pert last year and the Diabetic Nurses said that people who take metformin don't have real Hypos

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I went X-pert last year and the Diabetic Nurses said that people who take metformin don't have real Hypos

I know it's pantomime season but........

Oh yes they do!

It depends on the circumstances and of course other meds!

Diamum5972

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Prejudiced people (my son has learning difficulties) and not being able to find a job
I was diagnosed T2 in October (diet and exercise only) and I've had a couple of false hypos. I had shakes, dizziness and palpitations at 3.5 mmol but I was fine after a sitdown and half a nutrigrain bar.

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I had my first hypo when I was on metformin only. I've been having them ever since. If you're reacting, it's a hypo. When your body is adjusting to lower sugar levels it comes down to how fast it drops as to how you respond usually. Eg. if you were sitting on 12 and suddenly drop quick to 6 you're going to feel it and usually it is because you're continuing to drop so your body is responding by warning you accordingly. That's how my endo explained it to me anyhow. I have been told that the first thing to go is your judgment and then the other hypo symptoms follow, and the last thing to return is your judgment. So always very important to treat yourself if you're feeling all the hypo symptoms. You are usually right too most of the time... it's not that often I'm wrong when I think I'm low.

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I should add too that my endo said there is no such thing as a false hypo.... I've seen that mentioned a few times in this thread. You also need to get to know your 'safe' number and that's the number you need to stay above otherwise you drop too quick and hypo. For me that number is 5. If I drop below 5 my sugar level drops quickly and I hypo. This too was advised to me by my endo. He gave me a lecture on this and said Pamela you must always stay above your safe number as you must do your best to avoid hypos. I get hypo symptoms at 4.5 or less too. I can actually tell when I'm below 5 as my body starts the hypo symptoms and I know that is because the sugar is dropping on me fast and if I don't check and treat I will be in the 3's or lower before I know it.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I should add too that my endo said there is no such thing as a false hypo.... I've seen that mentioned a few times in this thread. You also need to get to know your 'safe' number and that's the number you need to stay above otherwise you drop too quick and hypo. For me that number is 5. If I drop below 5 my sugar level drops quickly and I hypo. This too was advised to me by my endo. He gave me a lecture on this and said Pamela you must always stay above your safe number as you must do your best to avoid hypos. I get hypo symptoms at 4.5 or less too. I can actually tell when I'm below 5 as my body starts the hypo symptoms and I know that is because the sugar is dropping on me fast and if I don't check and treat I will be in the 3's or lower before I know it.
But, and I understand that everything you are saying, but what is the explanation for you personally going hypo?
By your endocrinologists terminology my safe number is around 4mmols. I can feel the hypo drift towards, so I am very aware of what is happening to me!

But I still believe that what we call false hypos are quick drops in blood glucose levels.
I have quite a lot of experience because of the horrible effects of my fluctuating yo yo up and down blood glucose levels. My hypo hell!

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
But, and I understand that everything you are saying, but what is the explanation for you personally going hypo?
By your endocrinologists terminology my safe number is around 4mmols. I can feel the hypo drift towards, so I am very aware of what is happening to me!

But I still believe that what we call false hypos are quick drops in blood glucose levels.
I have quite a lot of experience because of the horrible effects of my fluctuating yo yo up and down blood glucose levels. My hypo hell!

Yes, sure - My endo said that any hypo symptom that is usual for me is a sign I need to check and treat. For me I get a real bad panic feeling suddenly and then I start shaking, sweating, maybe nausea at times, walking into walls or other things to my left (if I'm walking about), slurred speech sometimes, can't feet my feet on the ground. But what my endo said to me is that by the time I have what I consider my first symptom, I have already lost my judgment so therefore I can't drive or do anything like that until half an hour after I have treated a hypo (he said that is the minimum time it takes for your judgment to return even if you had only a mild hypo). Yes it is the sudden drop that triggers the hypo symptoms usually. My hypo symptoms start usually about 4.5 or lower. Although sometimes I feel hypo symptoms at 4.8 or I don't feel hypo symptoms until I'm 3.9... it varies. My endo said that hypo symptoms is a hypo and has to be treated and not ignored. He has me focused on staying above 5 at all times to avoid hypos... so in other words I should not be getting any of those hypo symptoms at all and that is what is considered safe... obviously he has had the discussion with me that I don't experience any hypo symptoms at all at 5 or above.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi @Mep
I'm trying to understand why you go low or have hypos at all. You shouldn't unless there is an underlying reason such as meds.
Do you know why?
Did your endo discuss this with you?
How many meals do you have a day?
How long after eating do you start to feel?

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Mep
I'm trying to understand why you go low or have hypos at all. You shouldn't unless there is an underlying reason such as meds.
Do you know why?
Did your endo discuss this with you?
How many meals do you have a day?
How long after eating do you start to feel?

I'm an insulin dependant diabetic.... I notice you have something different so probably you're not the same as me. My pancreas no longer produces sufficient insulin.... of course injecting insulin puts me at greater risk of hypos. Mind you I had my very first hypo on Metformin only but that was years ago in the days my pancreas was doing its job and I just couldn't process sugar too well. If you see my signature I have a number of conditions and they all impact on my diabetes in some form or another.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
DCHK (this site) are running a very good online free course on Hypo Awareness. I did it, and on the very day I 'graduated', I had my first ever hypo.