hypos.....

leggott

Hi. I have 2 children with diabetes, aged 4 & 6. We usually send them to bed with a small snack which helps. If your sons levels do drop a bit he will probably wake up anyway and may complain that he has had a nightmare. Usually the liver will dump some sugar and he and you may not even realise that he had a hypo in the night. My kids don't really worry about having a hypo which is a bit strange since my husband is type 1 as well and they have witnessed first hand him having a hypo in the morning and watched me putting the glucose gel in his mouth! Of course as a parent you will worry, and the first time it happens is distressing, but you do get used to it.

leggott

...forgot to mention like one of the other posts did, that if he does have a hypo don't over due it on the glucose tablets or whatever you decide to give him. With young children a small amount of carb can increase the blood dramatically. We find that 5 grams of carb (ie 1 jelly baby) will increase our kids blood levels by 3 mmol. So you may only need to give him say 1 or 2 glucose tablets if he has had a moderate hypo. Obviously this varies for each person and it is usually a case of doing a blood check 15 - 30 mins later to see if you got it right.

jonesy

my son just had his first hypo!

it was only a mild one thankfully. he was at school and his two buddies asked if he felt ok because he looked pale. he said that he was feeling dizzy and faint and tested his blood. bg was 3.8, so caught it early i guess. 1 glucose tablet and up to 6.4. his mum just doing him a toasted bagel now.

it was at the end of the day, but i'm a little surprised the school didn't follow through with a carb snack and just sent him off on his own.

sophsmam

Glad his friends noticed thats how i spotted my daughters she just went a funny colour.Now he'll know the signs.Iv'e lost count how many hypos she's had at school , and sometimes before she's left but she stays till her b/s are back up.They always call me to see if it's ok for her to walk home by herself.I was mad when she had 3 in a day and they didn't let me know.But nothing i could do that the school couldn't but that day she had 4 in total.She's always been between 3 and 3.9. and once at 2.4 and didn't even know she was fine with it. Try not to worry i know easier said then done.
The nurse told us when she takes her tablets check after 15 mins, and if b/s is ok just to have a biscuit at school.

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
Not having enough time. Broken sleep.
Khaleb had an out-of-the-blue hypo yesterday. This is the first that I could say he had severe symptoms. He was 2.1 but with some glucose powder mixed in some fruit puree he was back up to 3.8 in 15 minutes. He was pale and sweating and I think very close to passing out. He was very compliant to keep opening his mouth and keep eating and then followed with a bottle of milk. I usually catch him in the mid-high 3's while at home but I had to travel with him to a medical appointment. I had to do a similar trip today and intentionally sent him a bit high before I left. Had a much better day today. Felt quite guilty that I wasn't on-the-ball yesterday.

Oh well, I'd like to think it wont happen again but that would surely be wishful thinking.

I'd love some little hypo alarm attached to him or a hypo dog but a cure would be even better.

Jen.

Fujifilm

jonesy said:
my son just had his first hypo!

it was only a mild one thankfully. he was at school and his two buddies asked if he felt ok because he looked pale. he said that he was feeling dizzy and faint and tested his blood. bg was 3.8, so caught it early i guess. 1 glucose tablet and up to 6.4. his mum just doing him a toasted bagel now.

That goes to show the importance of people around you knowing that your diabetic and the signs to watch out for, hes got some good buddies there. 8)

Often people close to you notice the symptoms before you do!

As for night hypos, in twenty odd years I have never failed to wake up if I have gone too low, often I dream I am too low and someone tells me to get sugar which wakes me up. Must be a guardian angel :lol:

sophsmam

it's true what Fujifilm says,i spotted our daughter's first hypo 30 mins after she arrived home from hosiptal when dignosed.she just went a sort of yellow colour and pale and even now we can spot them before she does.

hey jonesy
know exactly how you feel, my son age 11 diagnosed last july since then weve had hundreds of hypos his lowest at 1.6 and still he was ok.3 glucose tablets and a slice of toast 10 mins later do the trick.I remember night times ,it was like having a new born baby again checking to see if hes breathing during the night every couple of hours,scott was scared aswell,until his diabetes nurse told him that his liver has glycogen stores which would kick in if he started to go low.this seemed to reasure him and now he goes to bed as normal ,milk and toast and testing his blood is ok ,are part of the routine along with brushing his teeth.If he has been fotball training that night we always give him a few extra carbs cos the exteme exercise can kick in overnight even up to mid morning the next day! Its such early days for you all,but BELIEVE me it does get better and life will get more relaxed.Scott is going away on an outward bound course with the school next spring I cant believe were letting him go,this time last year i would have thought it was a ridiculous idea ,just shows the differance a year makes .good luck