Hypo's?

not-so-lucky

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I'm new to insulin and touch wood I've not had a hypo yet... But wondering what is likely to happen and best way to react to it? I bought some glucose tablets recently as a precaution. Plus... Is it possible to sleep through one?

Thanks

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I wake every time. For now.
My 3rd old wakes me too. He is sensitive to it as I had a few in pregnancy.

Some do get a resistance to hypos but I think its mainly due to your body experiencing a lot of low sugars so the body thinks its normal. I don't think it can be found once lost.

I take a med for blood pressure which disguises the symptoms but I'm experiencing the odd hypo after christmas indulgence.

Glucose tablets are good, I need 3 to sort out my hypos. After taking them you retest your sugar 2 hours later to check in range.

A hypo is a very shaky, prickily sweaty and disconcerting feeling. Your disoriented and sometimes I hear as if underwater. Well that's how I feel. It goes quickly on taking glucose.

Reactions: KezG

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I'm new to insulin and touch wood I've not had a hypo yet... But wondering what is likely to happen and best way to react to it? I bought some glucose tablets recently as a precaution. Plus... Is it possible to sleep through one?

Thanks

You'll feel a bit weird. Try to test your blood sugar and treat your hypo with fast acting glucose (dextroseand tablets/glucojuice/fruit juive) give it ten minutes for the sugar to kick in and test again, if you aren't rising have more fast acting glucose, wait ten minutes test and repeat until you're over 4. Then have some complex carbohydrate so you don't crash back down - just a rich tea biscuit. You'll soon learn how much hypo treatment you need to bring you back up, without sending you sky high.

If you've never had a hypo your body probably won't let you sleep through one.

Here's some info on hypo symptoms - http://www.diabetes.co.uk/what-is-a-hypo.html

Some do get a resistance to hypos but I think its mainly due to your body experiencing a lot of low sugars so the body thinks its normal. I don't think it can be found once lost.

I'd love to be resistant to hypos. Can you imagine "woohoo, I'm I've for hypo resistance, so I'm gonna take all this insulin and no low blood sugar, awesome!" That's not a thing though, unfortunately. I am completely hypo unaware instead. It sort of sounds like you're trying to talk about hypo unawareness? When someone doesn't get symptoms even when blood sugar drops under 4? If hypo awareness is lost, it can be regained. @yingtong I believe has had success in restoring hypo awareness.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It's best to test after 10 or 15 mins @ickihun not two hours after glucose. You need to make sure your BS has come up. You can, of course, test again later to check all's well.

yingtong

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who.kock diabetes
As catapillar I was able to regain my 'hypo' awareness by about90% thanks to my pump and CGM.I struggled with hypo unawareness for 4 years,and what a bloody nightmare it was.I wish you all the luck getting it sorted.

Reactions: not-so-lucky

not-so-lucky

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I wake every time. For now.
My 3rd old wakes me too. He is sensitive to it as I had a few in pregnancy.

I take a med for blood pressure which disguises the symptoms but I'm experiencing the odd hypo after christmas indulgence.

Glucose tablets are good, I need 3 to sort out my hypos. After taking them you retest your sugar 2 hours later to check in range.

A hypo is a very shaky, prickily sweaty and disconcerting feeling. Your disoriented and sometimes I hear as if underwater. Well that's how I feel. It goes quickly on taking glucose.

Thanks for your response, I'll be uber aware now :) - Not looking forward to it happening to be honest :/

not-so-lucky

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the responses guys - Much appreciated :) - I've got proliferative retinopathy so been placed on Insulin to take absolute control. Was on Glic. and Metf. for years and didn't realise my hbA1C was creeping up :/ But, you can't turn back the clock... Spent a lot of time in denial and the best hath kicked me, but onwards and forwards the best I can

not-so-lucky

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I've noticed if I have a couple of wheetabix before bed I'm doing okay through the night... Love my supper :)