Hypos

Farrowlily

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Has anybody got any advice for me if you are trying to follow a low carb diet what are the best things to have to treat it I really want to lose half a stone I'm on humilyn 3 thanks

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @Farrowlily How many hypos are you having and is there a regular pattern to them ? Ideally you should be aiming to avoid them if you can by adjusting your humilyn dose under the guidance of your diabetic nurse. I know as an insulin user that I cannot avoid them, but it is necessary to treat with fast acting glucose to bring your levels up quickly, so my treatment is either 1 tube of glucogel or 3 jelly babies, however if I am going low slowly then I just have 10g of carbs in the form of biscuit.

There is no low carb alternative sadly so avoiding them would be the better option.

Farrowlily

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thank you juicy j I've been having 2 too 3 a week but I'd been to America on holiday and was struggling to get back to normal I think I need to have a snack to stop me from going low because I've been trying to cut down I've avoided that but I will try your treatment for a hypo and hopefully will get back to my normal levels thanks a lot

Jansuleyman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bad manners, Bad customer service, People who press the button at crossings without checking the traffic, Rain.
Has anybody got any advice for me if you are trying to follow a low carb diet what are the best things to have to treat it I really want to lose half a stone I'm on humilyn 3 thanks
Glucose powder 2 tsp = 10 carbs dissolved in water. Not many places sell it now but Boots should. Pineapple juice is a high content fruit juice. These are the quick fixes for that hypo that needs speedy resolve. Fruit jellies are good as are jelly babies if you can eat them. A real quick fix is honey taken by spoon and moved around the inside of the mouth as it is quickly absorbed into the mucus membranes into the bloodstream. None of thrse are calorific friendly but hypos can't be treated by lettuce sadly. I have been type 1 for 57 years and have really tight control but I am still familiar with the odd hypo.

Reactions: Sani Thomas