Hypos

soozemack64

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
mushrooms
I am type 2 and over Christmas I have had higher blood sugars than normal due to falling off the wagon and also being on a course of steriods. For the past 10 days I have been low carbing to get my levels down again. They have been improving but still slightly higher than before Christmas. Today I had a snack of a couple of water biscuits and a couple of teaspoons of peanut butter before exercising. After about 30 minutes on the cross trainer and a few sit-ups and press ups I started to feel a bit weird. I came over shaky and lightheaded and my legs felt very weak. I also experienced a strange tingling on my left cheek and in my fingers (mainly left hand). I have never had a reading lower than 5.5 since I was diagnosed a year ago. I don't understand why my reading could be so low all of a sudden. I am not on any medication and my diabetes is diet controlled. Can any one advise me. Should I be worried? I am trying to keep low carb as they do spike my levels but should I eat a larger snack before exercising?

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Hi soozemack54, you are doing well not having meds to control im not far behind you my doc has halved mine today::)), may i suggest you get a copy of dr r bernsteins diabetes solution 4 th edition ( no i'm not on commision) as he explains the mechanism of hypos both with and without drugs, and what to do to prevent or recover from one.
Sorry i can't explain it myself ,but im only a newbie myself, i think you can get an online version ( amazon. Kindle) or hardback delivered which i have, keep posting

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am type 2 and over Christmas I have had higher blood sugars than normal due to falling off the wagon and also being on a course of steriods. For the past 10 days I have been low carbing to get my levels down again. They have been improving but still slightly higher than before Christmas. Today I had a snack of a couple of water biscuits and a couple of teaspoons of peanut butter before exercising. After about 30 minutes on the cross trainer and a few sit-ups and press ups I started to feel a bit weird. I came over shaky and lightheaded and my legs felt very weak. I also experienced a strange tingling on my left cheek and in my fingers (mainly left hand). I have never had a reading lower than 5.5 since I was diagnosed a year ago. I don't understand why my reading could be so low all of a sudden. I am not on any medication and my diabetes is diet controlled. Can any one advise me. Should I be worried? I am trying to keep low carb as they do spike my levels but should I eat a larger snack before exercising?

I might be missing something, but what was your actual reading today?