ronialive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
ignorant people
Hi,
I have just got a freestyle libre and want to try and sort out my basal rates.
I am raising from 6 am so am I right that I need to adjust the basal rate from 2 am?
I am having to set up a completely new section on pump as I have a virus I cannot get rid of and am sick of doing temp basal.
thanks
I have tried to edit title but cant- it is hypurin porcine

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Both @azure & @CarbsRok use animal insulin in their pumps, hopefully by tagging them they'll see your thread and reply.

Reactions: 5 people

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @ronialive

I use Hypurin Porcine in my pump. If I see a rise, I adjust my basal from approx 3 hours beforehand. I put 'approx' there because it depends on how big the rise is and how quick it is. So if I saw a rise at 6am, I'd raise the previous three basal hours, usually gradually so that the amount steps up. If it wasn't a particularly sharp rise, I may not bother with the steps and would just do a uniform rise across the hours in question.

During the day, if I start to rise, I find increasing the basal only two hours in advance usually works.

I think it's a case of careful experimentation and fine tuning to see what works for you. So I'd start an increase three hours ahead and see what happens. That's just what I would do - your body may react differently.

Good luck :)

(Edited to add that I have Dawn Phenomenon so early morning is when I need to fight the rise most)

Last edited by a moderator:

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
I use bovine neutral in my pump and adjust 2 hours before the rise starts. I would suspect the minimum for anyone using animal insulin would be 2 hours and as @azure says see what works for you as could be 3 hours.

ronialive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
ignorant people
thanks- the nurse said 4 hrs but I thought that was quite a lot. I will try 3

tigger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
registrars asking silly questions
I use neutral too and do 2 hrs as my rule of thumb. If that doesn't work inplsy with the hr or 1/2 hr before that.