I am a type 2 taking metformin, gliclazide and Byetta

stuartclose

Since about last October I have had this irritating tickly cough.

First thing in the morning its like a smokers cough (I don't) and I cough up a little clear phlegm, during the day, sometimes I cough after eating, other times when just doing nothing.

My gp has stopped the Lisiprinol and put me onto Losartan 50mg as she says sometimes Lisiprinol can cause this. I have taken Lisiprinol for many years, so why should it start affecting me now?

I see her again in 10 days for a catch up on the cough.

Anyone else been here?

Pauine

Eiche

Dislikes
Not being able to satisfy my craving for chocolate LOL
I have the same irritating tickling in my throat, not down low but up high where the nose cavity joins the throat and there is a lot of stuff that used to be there all the time when I smoked (I quit 6 years ago). It wakes me up in the night and I have bouts of coughs through out the day too. I haven't actually mentioned this to my doctor as yet as I thought it might be a cold coming on but I am healthy apart from the diabetes. I am also on Metformin, Gliclazide, Byetta, Duloxatine and Ramipril instead of Lisinopril. I wonder if it's the ACE inhibitor that causes a reaction with Byetta. I haven't always had this problem but it started when I was put on Byetta.... Worth investigating I think. I will call my DN and see what she thinks. If she doesn't know then I will mention it to my doctor on my next visit. :)

Hi I went on Byetta in June, last year, I don't think this is relevant, but ask about ahstma. No one in my family has it, and after phnumonia last year then going on the byetta and switching to victoza in Nov I had a dry cough at night, would wake up in the middle of the night and would cough so badly that I would get phelm, this continued till end of Feb this year when I was diadnosed adult onset ahstma.

Mention when you see your GP if only just to rule it out as a possibility.

hope all goes well

AliB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
When you look at the list of 'side-effects' of drugs, the very common ones are things like a cough, nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea and rashes.

If you think about all the ways that the body uses to detox, it will be through the lungs, the skin, the mouth, the kidneys, the bowels, etc.

All drugs are 'foreign substances', and most, if not all are toxic to a greater or lesser degree. A 'side-effect' is just the body trying to tell us that it doesn't want this substance in it and wants rid.

We gaily throw this stuff down our throats with n'ery a thought, and then wonder why we are getting weird things happening.

I have found that by controlling my blood sugars with diet, I have been able to reduce my meds right down to the bare minimum (I now only take a fraction of the insulin I used to plus one Metformin, and have dumped the Byetta - that trashed my digestion big-time and the blood pressure tablets too, that were extremely toxic), and rarely, if ever get any side-effect/detox reactions at all. If I could get off the meds completely I would be in my element. I am working towards that, but the body takes time to heal, and it is early days yet.

We have a friend who has had a persistent cough for at least 5 years. I keep telling her to get off the chemical squash, but does she? Like heck. That stuff makes me cough, which is why I avoid it like the plague, so goodness knows what it is doing to her.

We weren't designed to consume chemicals or toxins, or anything that has been adulterated, modified, refined, homogenised, pasteurised, hydrolysed, hydrogenated or any other 'ised' or 'ated' you can think of. No wonder we're so sick.....

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
I have heard that when a person stops smoking, the lungs sort of 'clean themselves out'; I don't know how long that's supposed to take!

Late-onset asthma is a strong possibility - you don't have to have breathing problems to have asthma, and a persistent little cough is one symptom (my brother has had it for about 4 years).

It may be related to pollen of some sort (I had asthma from grass pollen as a teenager) so it may be seasonal. Do check with your doctor - I'm no expert!

Viv 8)

Tracey69

Hi
After reading your story i was wondering whether you may need a stomach protector, talk to your GP, my mother in law is a type 2 and on Metformin and another drug, but she also suffers with a constant cough, she has had to start using a nasal spray which cleared the tubes, but the cough has returned. The doctors have said it is something she will have to put up with it.
Hope all goes well
Tracey

Corconx

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Having just joined, I would like to add this - although not much help I fear

I have been a diabetic for close on 15 years, never felt I'll, but had always been warned that if overweight I may be Type 2. My grandfather was diabetic and both my mother and I had sugar in our water when pregnant - hence the warning

I have had a persistent cough now for close on 12 or more years. I have been through all the different thingsm from asthma to nose sprays etc and absolutely none have worked. My husband is so fed up with the coughing that he has had me (after discussions with ur Doctor) stop the simvastatin

Corconx

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I didn't finish - flipping iPad

And the aspirin. No improvement

I have been through two different Consultants and X-rays etx., no obvious problems, been told to raise the head of the bed by 8in (not possible with a waterbed.).

I have never smoked in my life, not even a puff

I was put on Ramipril when they gave me a blood pressure pill and was off that within 2 days, I was literally doubled up in agony coughing

Hence my search for whether the metformgliclizade or the gliclazide were the problem, although according to my DN - no.... But this looks like it could be

I take 3 x 850mg a day and 4 x 80g gliclazide, together with a 2.5mg of bendroflumizide and a 40g Losarten

After the latest run of tests my doctor here has said - probably an allergy we shall never discover. No help there then

For almost three years now they have been threatening me with insulin and I keep delaying, as much be ause we travel a lot in France in our motorhome, and I reckon it will give problems I don't need. I have never ever had any problems, and would prefer to take none of it but I really do want to get rid of this cough