I am looking for a most unusual drink ...

LezLezLez

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi all, I am a 71 year old male with T2. I had drunk Diet Coke for some years but now find that enamel is departing from the edges of my teeth - I understand that this drink has acidity ph around 2.5. I look at a wide range of supermarket drinks and find that they have sugar levels up to 13% or so, and if down at 4% or so, also contain a variety of chemical "sweeteners". I have recently read that the use of sweeteners merely continues one's desire for all things sweet and it might be better to de-sweeten one's taste. So I am looking, and have not found, apart from still or aerated water, a drink that (a) has no sweeteners, (b) has no or very little sugar, say less than 2%, (c) neutral ph, and (d) some attractive flavour(s). Am I searching for the impossible? Should I give up and just move to fruit flavoured drinks which contain only natural sugars. or just drink water? Your advice will be appreciated.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I drink water, still and carbonated, tea, herb tea, one coffee a day.

It would be lovely to find a harmless, nicely flavoured fruit drink, that I liked so much I wanted to drink it by the litre.
But I haven't found it yet. :)

Reactions: 2 people

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I drink Pepsi max but only with meals and a small glass only, the rest of the time I drink water or black coffee occasionally black tea and wine - but that's a given ;)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi all, I am a 71 year old male with T2. I had drunk Diet Coke for some years but now find that enamel is departing from the edges of my teeth - I understand that this drink has acidity ph around 2.5. I look at a wide range of supermarket drinks and find that they have sugar levels up to 13% or so, and if down at 4% or so, also contain a variety of chemical "sweeteners". I have recently read that the use of sweeteners merely continues one's desire for all things sweet and it might be better to de-sweeten one's taste. So I am looking, and have not found, apart from still or aerated water, a drink that (a) has no sweeteners, (b) has no or very little sugar, say less than 2%, (c) neutral ph, and (d) some attractive flavour(s). Am I searching for the impossible? Should I give up and just move to fruit flavoured drinks which contain only natural sugars. or just drink water? Your advice will be appreciated.

I love and drink tea a lot and drinking any fizzy drinks in a regular basis will do some harm. I only drink sugar free drinks, maybe a couple of times a year.
Good luck in your search :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
The Robinson's No Added Sugar range is nice, I like the Orange & Mango and Apple & Blackcurrant flavours.

Also Green Tea is nice & refreshing :)

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have water, fizzy water, posh teas ( to make it seem like a treat), posh coffees, and I sometimes make fruity water by either squeezing fresh lemon or lime juice in or infusing a few berries in there.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Obviously the best thing you can do is not to drink Diet Coke, or similarly acidic drinks, but have you considered using a fluoride mouthwash? Tablets wouldn't have the same impact, and periodic applications of fluoride gels would probably not be so good.

If you don't fancy just buying some and trying it, you could ask your dentist to recommend a particular product to you?

To be clear, using a fluoride rinse won't repair the enamel erosion you have, but it should stabilise it.

In my mind, I have something like this: http://www.boots.com/en/Colgate-FluoriGard-Daily-Alcohol-Free-Flavour-400ml_1319764/