I am not a liar or an idiot.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It can't go through the scanner even disconnected? Or am I wrong there. I thought it couldn't go through at all as can cause a pump motor issue. I suppose it's personal choice. Personally I won't risk something my life depends on being damaged.
I think your problems are mainly to do with untreated anxiety, not diabetes. This anxiety will make your blood sugar levels swing wildly too, and could be contributing to the 'brittle' effect on your diabetes.

Also, I agree with @lovinglife about the AS, given that members of my close family have it, including my adult son. Worth investigating. Crippling anxiety is very draining and bad for your whole health, not only your blood sugar levels. You may find that, when your anxiety is under control, your diabetes becomes much easier to keep on an even keel.

Lynz84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hey guys. Loving the (mostly) positive vibes from this post!!! Like all of us ive had times of struggle and days where honestly I just want to sit and cry as im sooo frustrated but....i dry my eyes, have a cuppa with a bun (thats right a great big iced creamy one too!!) And then get back to it. I felt for a long time that diabetes held me back but ultimately it was my state of mind! Thank you for all your inspiration! X

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Newly dx'd seem to take strikingly different approaches to it. Some will tackle it head on. Some will become obsessed about complications. Some will do both at various times.

It seemed much simpler when I was dx'd. The consultant said to me, "look, Scott, try to keep between 4 and 7, have some sweets if you go below 4, try to get it back down if you're above 8 or 9 but don't sweat it too much if you are, because these things happen and it's not a big deal provided it doesn't happen too often. See Sister Carmichael on the way out - she'll tell you about digestive biscuits."

It was a simple plan and it has worked well for me.

Compare that to today. Information and the internet is a good thing, but I sometimes feel that newbies might feel deluged by all that's available.

Instead of being left to make their own mistakes to figure out their own parameters, they can very often be subject to very divergent views on what's right.

When they read about good a1cs, see flat cgm traces, read about complications, I imagine it might seem that unless they are in range all the time, complications are inevitable.

Sure, staying in range is important - I put in a fair bit of thought to try to do that - but for newbies, it can lead to an unhealthy preoccupation and an unwillingness to take even slight risks, which does not serve their interests on the long run. How will they know where the boundaries are unless they experiment a bit, make mistakes and then reflect on whether that excursion was due to pre-bolus mistiming, incorrect ratio etc?

I think it is important to reassure newbies that their target range can be a bit looser to start with than the ideal 4 to 6, with a medium term aim of tightening it up through trial and error as time goes by, and that this can be safely done without impacting to any real extent on longer term complications.

If that process doesn't happen, there's too big a risk of newbies becoming terrified of any sort of excursion out of range, and it's only a smal step from there to a whole host of eating disorders developing, along with a constant negativity, limited food options and a gloomy view of the future.

I like this quote from an endo:

https://diatribe.org/issues/58/quotable-quotes

"In all the work with diabetes technology I’ve done, I’ve worn CGM for long periods of time. I don’t have diabetes, but I’ll eat a dessert and go up to 200 mg/dl. I’ll also drop down to 50 or 60 mg/dl. People with diabetes are comparing themselves to a false standard. The pancreas, for all of the advantages it has, still allows big excursions. It’s crazy to think it’s ideal.”

-Dr. Steven Russell (Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA) urging people with diabetes not to be too hard on themselves

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree now ...but a few years ago I might not have it was a different story then ,different insulin and not knowing the major role that a correct background insulin plays !! Now i feel safe and i do whatever i feel like doing ( or not ) ,i can sleep from 8pm till 8 am with only 1 alarm at 4 am (still cant do without that one )! ,but its better than 1 every hour every night! Still struggle with pizza but ill get the bolus right eventually and I've not tackled steak pudding chips and mushy peas yet !!!!I eat very well, play hard and make many mistakes on my bolusing but ill learn eventually probably 10 years from now ! When ill be 70 anyway and ill be past caring
Wished I wasn't t1 but it can sod off I'm happy bunny living a great life as a t1 after 10 years ps still fear typos guess that'll never change .

Couldn’t see any typos to fear!!!

Reactions: annliggins

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
[QUOTE="Scott-C, post: 1708437, member: 374531")

It seemed much simpler when I was dx'd. The consultant said to me, "look, Scott, try to keep between 4 and 7, have some sweets if you go below 4, try to get it back down if you're above 8 or 9 but don't sweat it too much if you are, because these things happen and it's not a big deal provided it doesn't happen too often. See Sister Carmichael on the way out - she'll tell you about digestive biscuits."

Absolutely love this!

nessals946

Type of diabetes
Type 1
In answer to @ExtremelyWorried,my son was born 9 weeks early weighing 2lb 15oz but he is now a strapping 6ft 1 and in uni doing a degree in mechanical engineering.
I took him to Florida 4 times and loved every water ride,rollercoaster and hot days queueing for that rollercoaster! I feel so sorry that you are not grateful to have had 2 lovely children.I would have loved to have been able to have a second/third child

Cobia

Type of diabetes
LADA
Becca59 your not a liar or idiot....

When i was dx'd i was given insulin told not to go over 10 and not below 4.....

2 years later looking back i even had a brittle stage its changed every month till chrissie just gone. Now its 35 or so units a day diabetes changes how i go about normal activitys but havnt found a thing i cant do yet i just plan how i go about it.....

Eg just got back to aus from nz i took my kids thru volcano areas and into caves 57M underground...

At 7 and 9 the look on thier faces was priceless i wouldnt swap anyone that one thing.

If i had a choice id still do everything the same its life we have to live it.

Thats from someone who drives trucks heavy machinery works with stock every day.

This forum and one in the US has been compulsury reading every night for 2 years for me just looking for a better way.

Saw my DE today all i got was praise which stunned me a bit i got a lot of help from sites like this so i say thank you to all here.

D

Deleted Account

I compare managing my diabetes to rock climbing.

A few years ago, I was listening to a Radio 4 reporter interviewing a professional rock climbing and asking why he took so much risk.
The climber explained there is a lot about climbing you can control: you can control your equipment, who you choose as a climbing partner, where to climb, when to climb, ... Sure, there are some things like weather which you cannot control but if you look after the things you can control, the risk is greatly reduced and if something you cannot control happens, by having everything else sorted, you are more likely to handle the unexpected.

Managing diabetes is the same: there are many things you can control such as how often to test, what spares you take on holiday, what you eat, when you inject, what BG you have when you exercise, how much you want to learn, .... There are things such as illness you can't control but with the knowledge and experience you have from the rest of your diabetes management, controlling BG during illness is easier or handling a hypo is easier if you have hypos treatment on hand.

Reactions: h4kr

Cumberland

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Foodwise Nuts & Mushrooms (Vomit)
Respect to the original poster and all subsequent posters on this very good thread

We are all part of the diabetic army fighting our individual battles

I was diagnosed at the age of 20 a misdiagnosis of Type 2 and re diagnosed as type 1 in my 50s

We’re all different and make lifestyle choices to suit us all best

I wish everyone in our ‘diabetic army’ the very best of health

May I just add that this site is important, a chance to talk, to laugh, to support and feel supported in return

Long may it continue

D

Deleted Account

Respect to the original poster and all subsequent posters on this very good thread
I second that.

I was the poster who provoked the "liar or idiot" response so appreciate that I am not alone.

On the other hand, I am very very aware we are all different, handle diagnosis, bad news, risks ... our lives and outlooks different.ly Our bodies are all different - some bodies (and minds) seem to be more resilient than others. The advice we are given varies so much. The support we have from friends and families contrasts with each other. And the amount of support we want to take compared to being independent is so different.

Life (and this forum) would be boring if we were all the same and agreed all the time.

Although the "liar or idiot" response hit hard when I first read it, it made me think and check what I was writing was true: it is often too easy to generalise.

Thank you @becca59 and thank you everyone for sharing your opinions.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Life is what you make it and work around the limitations that your condition puts upon you. One thing my husband has not got is diabetes however in 2007 he had an aortic root replacement due to an aortic aneurysm. He also had a replacement aortic valve, pacemaker inserted and suffers from arrhythmia. He now takes a cocktail of drugs and, despite being told after his op that he will probably not work again, he still works and is quite active although he does have his bad days! In fact due to being so active he managed to wear his pacemaker battery out 4 years earlier than expected as they should last 10 years and his lasted 6!