Type 2 I am on Humulin I,

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi,
My DSN has put me on another insulin Humulin 1, I only take it once before breakfast.
Its been a week and it hasn't made any difference. i have gone up to 22units now, Previously i was taking 2 insulins,
Novorapid and Lantus.which even after 5-6 months didn't help. although i was also taking Gliclizade and Metformin, and Sitagliptin along with it. - My breakfast isn't even that high carb i think the only carb is the Actimel bottle which is 12g and the eggs are 0g but i still stayed fairly high after my walk to the gym. my Dinner is slightly high in carbs from bread or from the potatoes - i still don't understand why i am staying high even my DSN cant answer that. i geuss i will probably keep having to increase the insulin dose until i see any difference.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Its been a week and it hasn't made any difference. i have gone up to 22units now, Previously i was taking 2 insulins,

Given that T2s have insulin resistance, some end up needing literally 100s of units of insulin. They specifically make insulins at 3x and 5x the strength of normal insulin for them. So you could argue that 22 units is still quite a low dose. (But unfortunately as you don't know how much you personally need you have to increase gradually because a massive overdose of insulin can be deadly.)

And of course, you probably don't know how much of your own insulin you are still producing either. (The doctors could tell with a cpeptide test.)

I think you just have to be patient on this one (Disclaimer, I am not a medical professional). Low carb should hopefully help. Lots of virtual hugs.

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Given that T2s have insulin resistance, some end up needing literally 100s of units of insulin. They specifically make insulins at 3x and 5x the strength of normal insulin for them. So you could argue that 22 units is still quite a low dose. (But unfortunately as you don't know how much you personally need you have to increase gradually because a massive overdose of insulin can be deadly.)

And of course, you probably don't know how much of your own insulin you are still producing either. (The doctors could tell with a cpeptide test.)

I think you just have to be patient on this one (Disclaimer, I am not a medical professional). Low carb should hopefully help. Lots of virtual hugs.

Hi appreciate your message. - I have had my C-peptide checked on 2 occasions now. and my endo doesn't think it would be necessary to have it checked again, although i could get it checked privately if i needed for around £150 or near that price. but i know i am type 2. as far and the dosing of course that is exactly what the DSN said increase by 3 units every 3 days until it gets into the range. Thank You.

Reactions: EllieM

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I was on Humalin I, working from memory, I think I got up to 36 units (bedtime) eventually put onto split dose Levamir which halved that but my point is I don’t think 22 units is very much at all, I think you need what you need, different for everyone. I hope you find a happy level soon good luck.

I have zero medical knowledge.

Reactions: EllieM

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been looking at your Sig & I see that you went from
2015. 38* Aug
2015 65 November
2016 *119 march

Can I ask you what changed between Aug 2015 & Nov 2015 ?
Your control was fabulous up to then.

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've been looking at your Sig & I see that you went from
2015. 38* Aug
2015 65 November
2016 *119 march

Can I ask you what changed between Aug 2015 & Nov 2015 ?
Your control was fabulous up to then.

I have no clue other than i was dealing with a few personal family problems during that time. Which probably lead to my hba1c or my sugar control ever staying in range.