Type 2 I am on my 4th week of Intermittent Fasting (IF).

aealexandrou

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Exercise
I got diagnosed type 2 this week but won’t have my appointment with my GP where she can go over everything with me til after Easter. This two weeks I’ve gone very low calorie as low carb and I’m going to alternate day fast to see what it does to my blood sugar. So far I’ve tested after not eating anything for 36 hours (that’s including sleeping obviously!) and my mmol/L when I tested it for the very first time was 6.8. So I’m not worried about hypo attacks. :)

In the past when I’ve had to drop a couple of dress sizes quickly and sustain it for a limited period of time (ie to fit into an outfit etc) I’ve had the most success with alternate day fasting. So once I know all my bloods and FINGERS CROSSED my GP will decide I don’t need medication or insulin, I’ll have a go at returning to that but long term and with much fewer carbs!
GP's unless progressive and have an interest in diabetes are not taught anything about nutrition and diabetes training is mainly about maintaining your BS levels with medication. Do not expect too much on your first appointment and more than likely you will be booked, if you haven't already, for a blood test and referral to the local diabetes clinic. I hope that the clinics have improved since I attended in 2014 and have caught up with the research on T2D Reversal. You are obviously researching the subject yourself and more than likely will know as much if not more than your GP by the time you get to your appointment.
From my own experience, and everyone is different, ignore calories and concentrate on cutting the carbs. As you are used to fasting your are already half way towards reversing your T2D. Keep up the good work.

Adm_Mad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
@aealexandrou She might be one of the “good ones” as she actually told me to cut out all sugar and as many carbs as I could for these two weeks as well as exercise. (She also said to cut out salt but that would be setting myself up to fail.)

I’m worried about having to inform my insurance providers, as I’ve read they put premiums up for diabetics.

aealexandrou

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Exercise
@aealexandrou She might be one of the “good ones” as she actually told me to cut out all sugar and as many carbs as I could for these two weeks as well as exercise. (She also said to cut out salt but that would be setting myself up to fail.)

I’m worried about having to inform my insurance providers, as I’ve read they put premiums up for diabetics.
I agree, cutting out salt is going against the grain of modern trends. In addition I would add some fat to the diet, particularly as you are doing Keto.

My car insurance did increase a little on reporting my T2D, but it wasn't significant. It had a bigger impact on Travel/Holiday insurance. If I ever reverse T2D completely, I wonder whether my GP will undiagnose me and I can safely report 'no health issues' on my car and travel insurance without voiding my policies?