I am reviewing the situation.......

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Having (as posted elsewhere) become very lax on keeping down the carbohydrates I have started to try and re-baseline what I can and can't eat.

Bread rolls:

Waitrose brown roll, 10.9 after 2 hours, 10.1 after 3 hours and down to 6.1 after 4 hours and some exercise.
Half Waitrose white roll with some pate, 11.6 after 2 hours but down to 7.4 after 3.5 hours.

OK - no bread rolls however nice they taste (the brown roll was a taste explosion).

Apple pie:

One big slice with double cream in the evening. I fell asleep before I should have tested, but woke up in the early hours and tested. 12.6 after 5.5 hours!

OK - another taste sensation put firmly behind me.

During all this time my fasting readings were in the 7s and 8s and I couldn't get readings below 6 even after an hour or more vigorous cycling. Daytime readings mainly 7s and 8s as well.

Finally on Thursday after just having coffee+cream+butter and another hour+ cycle ride, nothing to eat but 3 scrambled eggs, then 90 minutes Yoga in the evening my BG came down to 4.9.

Fasting today was 5.9, down to 5.7 3 hours after the morning special coffee, so I decided to experiment and had half a tin of standard Heinz baked beans, 4 chipolata sausages and two fried eggs. I felt full to bursting.
Before 1st bite 5.7
1 hour after 6.3
2 hours after 6.8
3 hours after 6.5

Interesting.
I'm not sure if my finally getting my BG down to sensible levels has also improved my insulin response or if I can cope better with slow release carbohydrates like baked beans, especially if buffered by more protein.

My tactical adviser suggest another test with bread to see if my response has changed.
Very tempting, especially with that Waitrose brown roll......

Anyway, I'm confused as usual but on a testing campaign with some weight loss thrown in.
I've dropped the easy 4 lbs very quickly.
Let us see if I can get any more off over the next few days.
Previous experience with OMAD and fasting suggests that once I've done the easy couple of days which removes the stored glucose I start to get more serious hunger cravings.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Have to love the low carbohydrate diet:)

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Just tested at 4.8, prior to a late evening meal.
Looking at my reading for the day so far I have nothing over 6.8, lowest of 4.8, average of 6.0.
6.0 equates to an HbA1c of 5.4 %/35.3.
Which is allegedly no-diabetic.
No doubt I have missed peaks, but still this is more what I would have expected long term.

Will test 2 hours after evening meal and see if it has all gone haywire again.