Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Pretty much agree with all of that.
Except that very low calorie diet or fasting is not misery for me. I never feel better than during or just after a period of fasting. BG levels are always at their best. I have more energy, less arthritic pain, and better sleep, and none of the 'brain fog' that I have when eating the recommended calorie intake.

I believe @zand feels the same.

My experience, both of fasting and very low calorie diets is that I hit a kind of 'fasting high' but that it is a very narrow zone of comfort, and my stamina is shot. Even climbing stairs is intimidating. And, for me, the Hunger never dies. It is like a permanent grinding ache.

I quite envy you. :) But then my body gets the same benefits from LCHF, so maybe it is just a basic difference in personal physiology - which has been the main recurring theme of this thread. lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So basically you're benchmarking other people's choices against your own personal values which are entirely subjective. For example, personally, I find the idea of choosing to stay a T2 Diabetic in order to avoid the "misery of a VLC diet" (misery is a personal frame of reference) an utterly abhorrent choice. But only for me personally, so if that's someone else's choice then the very best of luck to you. Vive la difference :)
You still don't understand what some of us are saying. We aren't choosing to stay T2 we are still T2 and that's a fact! The VLC diet is not a cure for all of us. I would suggest that it only works for those of us who had a truly awful diet before diagnosis. I did not. I was lowish carbing even before diagnosis. The misery of the VLC diet for me was afterwards when I had lost some weight but nothing else had changed. Still T2. Think of it, these diets have been around for many years, if they really worked for the masses would there be an increase in T2 now?

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
So basically you're benchmarking other people's choices against your own personal values which are entirely subjective.

I sincerely hope that was tongue in cheek.

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I haven't heard of anyone in this situation. An occasional slice of cake, yes. Two slices of seeded bread per day. Roast potatoes for dinner almost daily. I've seen people on here talk about making these choices and still having non-diabetic BG. But having 50% starchy carbs day in day out (as per the healthy plate / food pyramid)? Cereal and toast for breakfast, sandwich and crisps for lunch and meat and potatoes for dinner, snacking on fruit and occasional sweets? For many people this is a normal diet. But for someone who has "reversed" T2D? Would it really stay reversed?

If you or someone you know has achieved this, please share.
Holds up his hands and still an HbA1c of 33. I eat what and when I want and that includes bags of liquorice, jelly beans, mints, dried apricots, dates, figs, oat and honey cake with strawberry icing (yesterday's delight) shop cookies etc

This is why I used to get upset with all the nay sayers but now I let it wash over me. I know what my body is capable of again and that is all that matters to me. Will it stay like this, I doubt it as when I age I am sure it will start to pack up again but until that point I will push it as much as I want

Reactions: 6 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I believe @zand feels the same.

My experience, both of fasting and very low calorie diets is that I hit a kind of 'fasting high' but that it is a very narrow zone of comfort, and my stamina is shot. Even climbing stairs is intimidating. And, for me, the Hunger never dies. It is like a permanent grinding ache.

I quite envy you. :) But then my body gets the same benefits from LCHF, so maybe it is just a basic difference in personal physiology - which has been the main recurring theme of this thread. lol.
I used to love VLC diets, they gave me energy whilst doing them. All that happened though was that my metabolism adjusted to a lower level of food intake and I survived on less and less.

Interestingly with all this talk of low cal diets I tried one again recently. lol not as easy as it once was. :( Struggling to stay under 1200 cals, but I've lost a little weight. :)

Reactions: 9 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Holds up his hands and still an HbA1c of 33. I eat what and when I want and that includes bags of liquorice, jelly beans, mints, dried apricots, dates, figs, oat and honey cake with strawberry icing (yesterday's delight) shop cookies etc

This is why I used to get upset with all the nay sayers but now I let it wash over me. I know what my body is capable of again and that is all that matters to me. Will it stay like this, I doubt it as when I age I am sure it will start to pack up again but until that point I will push it as much as I want
But you have always accepted that despite all your magnificent efforts you were lucky that it worked for you. You haven't thought less of me because it didn't work for me. Some of the born again dieters now seem to imply that the rest of us are lesser human beings because these methods don't work for us. We must be weak minded individuals with no will power. Nope. Our bodies just don't work like yours that's all.

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
but I don't have thyroid issues thankfully. There are so many reasons for D to strike. Some we may be able to just get in early and have a large impact on; as for others who knows. Losing weight does and will not work for all but should help reduce insulin resistance. How we lose weight is a difficult question to answer as it is personal to your genes and the capability of your body to use what it has.

When they understand the differnet causes of T2 we will end up with subclasses I am sure. Just look at the MODY work that is finding new genes all the time.

BTW Zand I thought you are doing great with LCHF and your fat fasts

Reactions: 4 people

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
but I don't have thyroid issues thankfully. There are so many reasons for D to strike. Some we may be able to just get in early and have a large impact on; as for others who knows. Losing weight does and will not work for all but should help reduce insulin resistance. How we lose weight is a difficult question to answer as it is personal to your genes and the capability of your body to use what it has.

When they understand the differnet causes of T2 we will end up with subclasses I am sure. Just look at the MODY work that is finding new genes all the time.

Yeh I was off to a good start with PCOS undiagnosed for years which highly likely gave me the diabetes... but now of course I have a nice little list of medical issues that all like to make diabetes hard to manage. Managing chronic pain just likes to mess with the sugar and blood pressure. I'm now considering a liquid diet but going by my experience with liquid previously I seem to hypo more on liquid. Well I just have to do what I can do... sadly nothing I do other than sleep is good for everything. All of us have different things to manage and diabetes isn't the same for all of us that's for sure.

Larissima

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Thank you for your response! I have seen your posts before, but have misunderstood them (my own personal bias, obviously) to mean that you can eat all those carbs *occasionally*, rather than regularly, without it affecting your BG. Thanks for clarifying it for me, and congratulations on your success!

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

not as great as you! :D The weight has been stuck for a long time now. I'm trying to go low cal for a while and also finding different exercises to do as the walking doesn't do much anymore. Maybe I'll get my head round the 800 cal diet again sometime soon, I'll keep you posted. If I do though it will be simply for weight loss, I am not expecting a cure.

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thank you for your response! I have seen your posts before, but have misunderstood them (my own personal bias, obviously) to mean that you can eat all those carbs *occasionally*, rather than regularly, without it affecting your BG. Thanks for clarifying it for me, and congratulations on your success!
I do periods to keep me in check. I will do serveral weeks (6 months was my longest leading up to last HbA1c) of high carb and them go to intermittent fasting for a few weeks and then low carb for a period (not too low any more). I find I start to add weight when on higher carb periods. I like my nuts and with high carb can be enlargening ;) (I know not a real word but captures the meaning). What I do find is that I do not eat anywhere near the amount I used to even when high carbing; so my appetite seems to be reset).

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
not as great as you! :D The weight has been stuck for a long time now. I'm trying to go low cal for a while and also finding different exercises to do as the walking doesn't do much anymore. Maybe I'll get my head round the 800 cal diet again sometime soon, I'll keep you posted. If I do though it will be simply for weight loss, I am not expecting a cure.
I understand the stuck weight I cannot get below 12st 5lbs by normal fasting so I think this is my bodies natural level. This is what I used to be as a fit 20 something when I used to cycle many hundreds of miles each week. I did manage with huge effort to hit 12st but bounced straight back.

Good luck with the reduced calories but dont forget to add the exercise calories to that 800. Otherwise you will get the bonk.

Reactions: 2 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
For whatever symptomatic reasons, the op got diagnosed with T2 diabetes.
He treated the symptoms with a vegetarian approach which worked for him.
Brilliant!
I myself am now waiting for the hard sell!
Maybe not.

I'm going to throw my tuppence worth into the melting pot.

The reason why most but not all T2s are diagnosed is because of insulin resistance and high blood glucose levels. In other words they have high levels of glucose of which the insulin produced does little or nothing. So more insulin is produced.

That's why a low carb approach works, simply reducing carbs, sugars and plate size, with a little more exercise works, especially prediabetics. The need for extra insulin is reduced and the insulin resistance recedes.

It sounds simple, it's not!
It sounds straightforward but it's not!
There is always something that will trip you up and hence not every T2 diabetic can cope with the straightforward advice, complications, beta cell burn out etc.

Not everyone is as strong willed as the op, and some are unlucky enough to believe eating carbs is good for them. Having a balanced diet is necessary, they believe.

Most T2s have an imbalance in the hormonal and biomechanical system.
We all have different gut bacteria and the hormonal response is unique to each of us.

So one size doesn't fit all, we all have to find our own path on the road to a healthy personal diet. Control is the key to unlock your future health. No amount of what you call it remission, control, management or cure. It means that you can educate yourself in how to alleviate the symptoms and get yourself feeling better by being healthier.

I believe that having been misdiagnosed as T2, and my battle to get a real diagnosis, has opened my eyes that the research that I've invested a lot time in, leads me to believe that insulin is the bad guy here, anything out of kilter with how much insulin you produce for the glucose you get from your food, will induce further complications, insulin resistance, hyperinsulinaemia, high blood glucose levels and the symptoms that follow. We all need insulin to lower glucose, so that our body derives its energy from.

I have to live with my condition, it has no known cure. I can control it with dietary restrictions. I have an intolerance to most foods. Including a personal preference for not eating cooked vegetables, dairy, most sugars, and all but very low carbohydrates.
So it's literally, meat, salad vegetables, some small pieces of fruit, nuts, some pulses, homemade soups, curry, stews.
I have had to create a lifestyle for myself, that I've never found in all my research over nearly three years of scanning the web.
Having to live like this creates its own personal problems and my experiences have given me an insight into how the world treats metabolic syndrome conditions.
And it's not very good, despite the contrary evidence that's abound on the internet.
The word is out there, but only the knowledgeable posters on here seem to create an impartial view on how T2s can be treated.
Let's not criticise the fact that individuals can control their condition however they do it, let's find a way to help those that may not be aware of what they can do to alleviate their symptoms. We should be here to educate and inform a better way than the health care industry do it.
Debate is good, let it continue.

Reactions: 5 people

EdMac

Consequently, I am totally comfortable with commenting from my personal experience and letting other people make up their own minds.
Except me? I have to come with proof and references to support my opinions otherwise they add nothing to the thread? My observations and subjective interpretations and evaluations of those observations must be backed by scientific study. Whereas you - you're allowed to just have an opinion.

The bottom line is I have not "promoted a theory" I've offered my interpretation of data that has been heavily discussed on this forum and elsewhere for years. I've met people 'in the real world' who have followed the diets promoted by those studies and have ceased having a diabetic response. I have read about other people who have ceased having diabetic responses. My understanding is there are numerous people on this very forum who, whichever word they choose to describe their circumstances, have ceased having a diabetic response.

So whilst reversal may not be an option for you have you considered that there are people who would like to explore this as a first option. You know those people who can be bothered to endure "the misery of a VLC diet" because they'd take healthy over sick every day of the week EVEN if it meant a little bit of effort.

So by all means have your opinion but stop being so bloody demanding when it comes to the opinions of people who happen to disagree with you.

:)

EdMac

You still don't understand what some of us are saying.
I do, I have not suggested there is a reversal option for all. I have even spelled that out. What I am rejecting is that a reversal option does not exist because it doesn't work for all. Even if only 1% of T2 diabetics can achieve reversal that's worth knowing about.

Reactions: 2 people

EdMac

Hang on though, @SunnyExpat . That broken leg analogy has a flaw. Broken leg may heal well with treatment, but will never be as good as before.
I slipped on ice and fractured my wrist in two places. I was told by a doctor and three people who had each sustained a single fracture to a wrist, that I would never recover full function. Of course I didn't believe them and with diligent application of appropriate exercises (that I wasn't told about at the hospital but had to find out about for myself) I did recover full function. Not only that I didn't turn up for my cast appointment and returned to the hospital 9 days later to demonstrate that my wrist had already healed sufficiently to continue with a brace not a cast. You see we can aim higher than accepting the fate other people before us have accepted.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I do, I have not suggested there is a reversal option for all. I have even spelled that out. What I am rejecting is that a reversal option does not exist because it doesn't work for all. Even if only 1% of T2 diabetics can achieve reversal that's worth knowing about.
Yes of course it's worth knowing about. I was naïve and thought I would be cured and would be able to eat my favourite foods again. It didn't happen but my HbA1c's are now at pre-diabetic levels and I have found many new favourite foods. It just took a bit longer then the 8 weeks I was hoping for back in 2011/12.

Reactions: 4 people

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm still baffled about this "ceased having a diabetic response" business. So from what I've read on this post people are saying yes you can eat whatever you like and your blood sugar stays in normal range. How does that happen when you've been diagnosed as diabetic? I'm confused. That would allude to either you never were diabetic to start with, you have changed your eating habits, or you've found a cure. As far as I'm aware there is no cure as such, just good control. I wish it was easy for me to just say I was cured.... but I'm not. I've always had a diabetic response if I ate the wrong thing or was stressed, etc. I've progressed over the years and no longer produce much insulin so chances of being cured would mean my pancreas would need to reverse beta cell damage. Then perhaps all this talk about remission happens for people in the early stages of type 2? So my guess is this "ceased having a diabetic response" means people no longer have a change in sugar level to things like stress, illness, temperature, activity levels, etc.

S

serenity648

Except me? I have to come with proof and references to support my opinions otherwise they add nothing to the thread? My observations and subjective interpretations and evaluations of those observations must be backed by scientific study. Whereas you - you're allowed to just have an opinion.

The bottom line is I have not "promoted a theory" I've offered my interpretation of data that has been heavily discussed on this forum and elsewhere for years. I've met people 'in the real world' who have followed the diets promoted by those studies and have ceased having a diabetic response. I have read about other people who have ceased having diabetic responses. My understanding is there are numerous people on this very forum who, whichever word they choose to describe their circumstances, have ceased having a diabetic response.

So whilst reversal may not be an option for you have you considered that there are people who would like to explore this as a first option. You know those people who can be bothered to endure "the misery of a VLC diet" because they'd take healthy over sick every day of the week EVEN if it meant a little bit of effort.

So by all means have your opinion but stop being so bloody demanding when it comes to the opinions of people who happen to disagree with you.

:)

it is good to know that my healthcare provider may be behind the information curve, and some people are cured of diabetes.

EdMac

As far as I'm aware there is no cure as such, just good control.
There are people who have exhibited diabetic responses for years, who then go on to follow specific diets, such as the Newcastle Diet, lose lots of weight and lose their diabetic response. I have met people who had much worse blood readings than me who followed the newcastle diet, or a close derivative, lost a few stone and completely lost their diabetic response.

One person in particular I know did this 3 years ago and now has what would be a terrible (for a diabetic) diet. She is still not exhibiting a diabetic response. At some stage in future she probably will as she continues to regain weight. But that does not negate the fact she reversed her diabetes and recovered normal function.

Status
Not open for further replies.