I feel like I need some advice

T1mum2303

Hi there bit of background I have a 7 year old daughter she was Diagnosed at 4 years old, she has a very good control, she is on injections,
Now 3 days ago she started being sick and I was struggling to keep her blood sugars up so came in the hospital we are still in now, they are saying she has a uti, which is making her sick, yesterday they told me to give her her normal doses of insulin for lunch which is 2 units so I did an she hardly eat it which 2 hours later lead to a hour long hypo with her trying to fall asleep!
There's no other way to say this but I actually really struggling with it all I feel so useless and down about this whole situation I hate that fact my little girl is laying there an her diabetes is playing up an there's nothing I can do, everyone is saying your in the right place but they don't have a clue I had the nurse ask me questions about her care, an they yesterday during her hour hypo the doc gave her a ice lolly!! I have never felt like this toward her diabetes but I'm actually finding it really hard. I'm so sorry for the long post, I just need someone to yell me it's going to be okay! X

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Umm, it’s going to be ok.
The doc might have done a wise thing, kids like ice lollies (mine does anyway) and they (lollies not kids) are sugary.
Is she on a diabetic ward and has the consultant been round?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello and welcome @T1mum2303

Sorry to hear about your daughter, it's a worrying time for you. Please please don't feel useless though, you are doing an amazing job under very trying circumstances, unfortunately you have the addition of managing type 1 which requires extra input.

How are her blood glucose levels ? and are they checking for ketones ?

Lollies are fine when hypo also it's easy for kids to get glucose when eating them so this should of helped, here's a link to illness and diabetes which is useful reading: https://www.diabetes.org.uk/guide-to-diabetes/life-with-diabetes/illness

Can you speak to her DSN too and get their input ?