I hate having diabetes

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
I have hated my T1D ever since diagnosis ...... but I have also come to accept it as my companion for life...... not always welcome ,sometimes a huge PITA , but good or bad , it is always there -- so me knowing that has allowed me to keep it where it belongs , as 1 part of me but it does not define me. !!!!!!

Reactions: Juicyj and therower

leahkian

We do not choose diabetes it chooses us and no matter how much we hate it, we have to make the best of it. When you are ill it makes you feel bad as blood sugars can be all over the place but you have to ride the storm out, make sure you drink plenty and take paracetamols as it will help the headache and keep your temp down. After you are feeling well enough go to your GP and ask about seeing someone who you can talk your problems over with some diabetes clinics have a mental health worker as part of the team who can offer advice. All the way through my diabetes i have had days i have hated it and asked why me but it is me and the goal is trying to have more good days than bad. I am sure people who have had diabetes for a long time still get good and bad days but as there is no cure for diabetes you have to try and control it the best you can. Hope you feel well soon

Reactions: Juicyj

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Diabetes isn't always easy, especially when you're unwell, or it's a bad blood-sugar day and you feel awful even though you're doing your best to sort it out. Show me the person with diabetes who hasn't had a rant about it!
Being alive's better than a horrible DKA death, and we're alive. In times gone by we wouldn't be. In some parts of the world today we wouldn't be. So let's celebrate scientists, and physicians, and labels on food, and carbs and Cals, and insulin, and treatments for T2, T3, and LADA.
That's what I think. I've had rant days too.
Hope you feel better soon and that the sun shines through your bedroom window in the morning. Sounds as though you've got a pig-awful, misery-making cold so lots of hugs.

Julia McCoulough

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people
We do not choose diabetes it chooses us and no matter how much we hate it, we have to make the best of it. When you are ill it makes you feel bad as blood sugars can be all over the place but you have to ride the storm out, make sure you drink plenty and take paracetamols as it will help the headache and keep your temp down. After you are feeling well enough go to your GP and ask about seeing someone who you can talk your problems over with some diabetes clinics have a mental health worker as part of the team who can offer advice. All the way through my diabetes i have had days i have hated it and asked why me but it is me and the goal is trying to have more good days than bad. I am sure people who have had diabetes for a long time still get good and bad days but as there is no cure for diabetes you have to try and control it the best you can. Hope you feel well soon
Thank you I hope I do too

Julia McCoulough

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people
Diabetes isn't always easy, especially when you're unwell, or it's a bad blood-sugar day and you feel awful even though you're doing your best to sort it out. Show me the person with diabetes who hasn't had a rant about it!
Being alive's better than a horrible DKA death, and we're alive. In times gone by we wouldn't be. In some parts of the world today we wouldn't be. So let's celebrate scientists, and physicians, and labels on food, and carbs and Cals, and insulin, and treatments for T2, T3, and LADA.
That's what I think. I've had rant days too.
Hope you feel better soon and that the sun shines through your bedroom window in the morning. Sounds as though you've got a pig-awful, misery-making cold so lots of hugs.
Thank you

Julia McCoulough

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people
I have hated my T1D ever since diagnosis ...... but I have also come to accept it as my companion for life...... not always welcome ,sometimes a huge PITA , but good or bad , it is always there -- so me knowing that has allowed me to keep it where it belongs , as 1 part of me but it does not define me. !!!!!!
Yes we are all in this forever

Julia McCoulough

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people
I am a type 1 diabetic and have been since the age of 6 and i hate it but since joining the diabetic forum and talking to other people with diabetes it makes me feel like I can do a lot better at looking after myself i only get distracted when I am hanging out with friends sometimes but not lately
Are you ok I want to talk to you on here message

Julia McCoulough

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people
who in the right mind likes it? sorry but we all hate it but I for 1 get on with it as its all I know from having it since i was 2 1/2, sorry for being blunt but we need to get on with living and not thinking about what could have been or what was once. We are still alive and thats a blessing
I know but nobody else I know has it

Julia McCoulough

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people
I have to agree - my dad had RA, bless him. He never complained but how he suffered! Not thrilled with T1 but hell, it’s better that RA any day! Having said that it’s the same with anything bad - domes you just need a day off! Lol!
Yes I do lol

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
@Julia McCoulough , whenever I feel a bit narked off with my T1, I think about Eva Saxl.

She and her husband Victor fled Prague during the war to China, and then insulin supplies were cut off after the Japanese invaded. A lot of people would have just laid back and died, but no, not Victor and Eva! They figured out a way of making insulin from water buffalo pancreases, saved Eva and then shared it with other T1s for the rest of the war.

That takes guts and determination - we just go down to the chemists to get ours - she made her own, not knowing how strong it was, whether it was infected, but still took the risk, and survived.

Aftet getting to America after the war, she went on to become a spokeswoman for diabetics at a time when there was apparently a prejudice against it.

Then they got involved in making insulin available for poor people in undeveloped countries.

All in all, a hero - saved herself and went on to save others.

So, next time you're feeling down, just think, "what would Eva have done?"

Short video about her here:

Reactions: nessa1970 and Sibyl

Julia McCoulough

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people
@Julia McCoulough , whenever I feel a bit narked off with my T1, I think about Eva Saxl.

She and her husband Victor fled Prague during the war to China, and then insulin supplies were cut off after the Japanese invaded. A lot of people would have just laid back and died, but no, not Victor and Eva! They figured out a way of making insulin from water buffalo pancreases, saved Eva and then shared it with other T1s for the rest of the war.

That takes guts and determination - we just go down to the chemists to get ours - she made her own, not knowing how strong it was, whether it was infected, but still took the risk, and survived.

Aftet getting to America after the war, she went on to become a spokeswoman for diabetics at a time when there was apparently a prejudice against it.

Then they got involved in making insulin available for poor people in undeveloped countries.

Oh wow thank you

Sibyl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Inspiring story, inspiring people. I have always appreciated the trailblazers who endured great hardships for me to be able to enjoy modern day Diabetes management. Every time I use my accu-chec expert or my insulin pens with 4mm micro needles I bless their inventors! It may not be perfect but it’s a breeze compared to the old days.

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Inspiring story, inspiring people. I have always appreciated the trailblazers who endured great hardships for me to be able to enjoy modern day Diabetes management. Every time I use my accu-chec expert or my insulin pens with 4mm micro needles I bless their inventors! It may not be perfect but it’s a breeze compared to the old days.

Yes, and pumps have certainly moved on a bit!

images (1).jpg

Darren095

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Diabetes type 1 ruined my military career, that was over 30 years ago and there isnt a day that goes by without me regretting developing diabetes despite a a very health life style. When I developed diabetes they told me that they didnt know what causes it and they dont have a cure, today you Google it and they still say they dont know what causes it and there is no cure, dont believe it personally just believe there is too much money in treating its symptoms rather then curing it altogether.

ajbod

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It's not impossible that one day a single drug that could reverse Insulin resistance for type 2. Not a cure, but a single continuous treatment. But type 1, short of some miracle pancreas transplant. Will never be cured.

Tony337

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being on holiday....
Happy Monday
I have just entered my 50th year of this diabetes malarky and with all the latest tech like libres and 4mm needles its alot easier to deal with than when i first started!!
I hope that doesnt sound pompous or even rude but i do recall needles like harpoons and injectaguns......

Tony wanders off shuddering at the thought....

Good luck

Tony

Reactions: Jaylee