i have just been diagnosed and i am feeling very, very down, confused, scared, lost and in a dark pl

GuidoGuy202

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Now that we know that, I'd suggest you consider a review of your diet.

White rice, breads, breaded chicken (?) and hotdogs (you're from the States I take it?) and potatoes (that is french fries) are (at least for MANY people with T2) an absolute "no no".

You need to cut out the carbs big time and they are major offenders ...

Mike
Thanks a lot for your help! It was greatly appreciated!

Gobiker56

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am still blundering through all the info that's around. My biggest worry at the moment is my eyes. I still have blurry vision even though my blood sugar is down to 115, that's after a meal too. (2 Ryvitas with Hummus). I saw the Doctor this morning and she said to go to the Optician, which I will do tomorrow. Am I worrying needlessly? how long before your eyes 'recover' after a couple of weeks of high blood sugar?, originally was 480 resulting in a hospital trip. Just to add insult to injury I now have high blood pressure 170/100. I normally used to have a low blood pressure being on Morphine twice a day.So now on medication for that too!. So in the last couple of weeks I have gone from sort of healthy, apart from a damaged neck, to Type II diabetic with Hypertension.....

Reactions: 2 people

GuidoGuy202

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am still blundering through all the info that's around. My biggest worry at the moment is my eyes. I still have blurry vision even though my blood sugar is down to 115, that's after a meal too. (2 Ryvitas with Hummus). I saw the Doctor this morning and she said to go to the Optician, which I will do tomorrow. Am I worrying needlessly? how long before your eyes 'recover' after a couple of weeks of high blood sugar?, originally was 480 resulting in a hospital trip. Just to add insult to injury I now have high blood pressure 170/100. I normally used to have a low blood pressure being on Morphine twice a day.So now on medication for that too!. So in the last couple of weeks I have gone from sort of healthy, apart from a damaged neck, to Type II diabetic with Hypertension.....
Id say it should take up to three months before seeing huge improvements after being stabilized (in my experience). Your sugars need to time to balance out and your a1c should show for that in three months.

Gobiker56

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for that info Guideguy, at least I have some idea of how long it might take. I had assumed it should be OK once the Blood Sugar was 'normal'.

Gobiker56

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It's very frightening all the same, I am an avid reader and at the moment I can't comfortably read, even typing this is difficult. I never watch the television, haven't for the last 15 years or so. I read instead, either books or from the internet, it would be a massive problem if my vision didn't improve. That's why I am so worried.

GuidoGuy202

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's very frightening all the same, I am an avid reader and at the moment I can't comfortably read, even typing this is difficult. I never watch the television, haven't for the last 15 years or so. I read instead, either books or from the internet, it would be a massive problem if my vision didn't improve. That's why I am so worried.
I understand where your coming from. I, before my diagnoses, didn't read quite as often as I do now but the vision problems ruined my high school senior year basketball season for me and I was expecting a scholarship to go off to college. After the season ended is when I actually found out what was going on with me because the physical symptoms worsened because I wasn't playing basketball everyday. As soon as I started my insulin treatment my vision really started to go wacky and after months if this terrible vision and vigorously researching a solution I was certain I would never see improvement. Eventually I was able to get my blood sugar stabilized and it took a good 2-3 months after being stabilized to see huge improvements. I'm still dealing with the vision problems but my vision is not nearly as bad as it was last year before I was stabilized. Last year I had terrible light sensitivity, depersonalization (felt as if I was in a dream 24/7), double vision, one drooping eyelid, blurry vision and pretty much couldn't see anything in dimmed light rooms. Now I just have double vision on and off and one eyelid drooping on and off and as mentioned by the many helpful people on this post I will have to change my diet which consist of too many carbs and watch my blood sugar like a hawk. As long as you stick to doing that, I see no reason your vision won't return to what it use to be before your diagnoses

Reactions: 2 people