i have just been diagnosed and i am feeling very, very down, confused, scared, lost and in a dark pl

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. AS you may have gathered already there are loads of people on this forum you can talk to. Virtually all of us have diabetes of different types and will try to help you understand the condition and take control of it. You've already had some very good diet advice. It is a bit confusing at first but give it time. The nurse was right about bananas and in general exotic fruits need to be kept small as they have high sugar content. In general root veg are quite high in carbs so keep portion sizes down. Beans and lentils, although carby, are low-GI and with good fibre so are quite a good choice as they are absorbed slowly and fibre is an essential part of diet

Reactions: 4 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you so much for even bothering with me it is much appreciated and very lovely of you <3
Thank YOU so much for posting this! You have reminded me how I felt when I started my first thread. I didn't expect any replies. I felt so useless, I just didn't know what to do or where to turn. Now here we both are. I have been letting things slide a little (dealing with depression became a bigger priority for a while), but by posting you have made me see that I need to pick myself up (yet again) and get back on the right track diet wise.

You have already been given great advice so I won't confuse you with even more. I agree with some of the others that LCHF is a good path to follow. I think almost all of us would suggest cutting down on carbs, though we may vary as to how much fat we have.

Keep posting please. It will help you and you will be helping others too. (that's what people said to me back in April - now I believe them!) :)

Reactions: 9 people

janewatt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you so much for even bothering with me it is much appreciated and very lovely of you <3
You are well worth bothering with. That's what we're here for. We halp and support each other.
Stick with it.

Jane.

Reactions: 10 people

Patricia21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal crualty
Good morning.
I hope you are feeling a bit better today.

888adnil

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
WOW OH WOW!!!!! All of you have taken my breath away!!! how absolutely kind, I am almost speechless, thank you, thank you from the bottom of my heart, each and everyone of you <3 Just reading this now has lifted me, I feel I can ask anything now. I am going to have my smoked cod and a few sweet pots/salad, then some blueberries with a rice cake and a pear.... did have some peach yog in but decided too much sugar. Will get back laters, you are all STARS <3

Reactions: 6 people

Gobiker56

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello and welcome. You can talk to anyone in this forum. It does get better trust me. There will other's along to help more than I can but have a good look around the forum and you will find lots of help and adv

Gobiker56

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am in the same boat, Diagnosed on Thursday with a blood sugar of 438, emergency hospital treatment then sent home same day with tablets. Trouble is I am in a small village in Spain, don't speak much Spanish and there is no-one to do my blood sugar over the weekend. The local nurse will see me every weekday morning and will give me a machine when I am stabilised. it was 220 on Friday morning. I have just had evening meal and Tablet, Velmetia 50mg/1000mg Sitagliptina/metformina clorhidrato. 10 Mins after that , came out inn massive sweat. Absolutely petrified. I have no transport and the nearest urgencias is 30 mins away. Luckily sweat has gone.

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Welcome @Gobiker56 - Not to worry you will sort yourself soon. The numbers in Spain are in mg/dl and you divide them by 18 to get the UK numbers so 438 is equivalent to 24. Not good but the same as I had on my finger prick before diagnosis. I turned it around in 3 months to normal levels and if I can do it you can too. The key to it is diet and exercise. The drugs are not a panacea I am afraid. If you read through the thread you will have seen a message from @daisy1 please read it and ask questions if you need to or do not understand where to start.

You can read the journey I took in the first link in my signature. Basically I did a very low calorie diet lost weight and returned my Blood Glucose levels to normal (the technique is similar to the Newcastle diet). Took 8 weeks and the fear for the rest of my life gave me the drive to complete it.

The massive sweat is likely high blood glucose levels. Please drink lots of water as this will help your kidneys remove it from your body and go for a walk to help your muscles process the glucose in your blood stream. What did you eat for your evening meal. You need to keep away from flour products/rice/potatoes for a while until ou get your into a healthy range, unfortunately it isn't there at the moment; you want them at a maximum of 8 for now (8 mmol/l = 144 mg/dl)

Reactions: 7 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am in the same boat, Diagnosed on Thursday with a blood sugar of 438, emergency hospital treatment then sent home same day with tablets. Trouble is I am in a small village in Spain, don't speak much Spanish and there is no-one to do my blood sugar over the weekend. The local nurse will see me every weekday morning and will give me a machine when I am stabilised. it was 220 on Friday morning. I have just had evening meal and Tablet, Velmetia 50mg/1000mg Sitagliptina/metformina clorhidrato. 10 Mins after that , came out inn massive sweat. Absolutely petrified. I have no transport and the nearest urgencias is 30 mins away. Luckily sweat has gone.
Hi and welcome!

Nuthead

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
WOW OH WOW!!!!! All of you have taken my breath away!!! how absolutely kind, I am almost speechless, thank you, thank you from the bottom of my heart, each and everyone of you <3 Just reading this now has lifted me, I feel I can ask anything now. I am going to have my smoked cod and a few sweet pots/salad, then some blueberries with a rice cake and a pear.... did have some peach yog in but decided too much sugar. Will get back laters, you are all STARS <3
Think twice about the rice cake and the pear. Bit heavy on carbs and suger

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 5 people

Nuthead

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Welcome. Have a good look around the forum and you will find all or most of your questions answered. Most of us have been in the same boat with no. Blue as to what to expect t or what to do. What to eat blah blah ...if you can't find anything or just need a chat. Just do it :)

Gobiker56

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Welcome @Gobiker56 - Not to worry you will sort yourself soon. The numbers in Spain are in mg/dl and you divide them by 18 to get the UK numbers so 438 is equivalent to 24. Not good but the same as I had on my finger prick before diagnosis. I turned it around in 3 months to normal levels and if I can do it you can too. The key to it is diet and exercise. The drugs are not a panacea I am afraid. If you read through the thread you will have seen a message from @daisy1 please read it and ask questions if you need to or do not understand where to start.

You can read the journey I took in the first link in my signature. Basically I did a very low calorie diet lost weight and returned my Blood Glucose levels to normal (the technique is similar to the Newcastle diet). Took 8 weeks and the fear for the rest of my life gave me the drive to complete it.

The massive sweat is likely high blood glucose levels. Please drink lots of water as this will help your kidneys remove it from your body and go for a walk to help your muscles process the glucose in your blood stream. What did you eat for your evening meal. You need to keep away from flour products/rice/potatoes for a while until ou get your into a healthy range, unfortunately it isn't there at the moment; you want them at a maximum of 8 for now (8 mmol/l = 144 mg/dl)
Thanks for your reply Andrew. I had eaten some Turkey breast with stir fried Broccoli, spinach. 1 egg and onion plus I had a flour tortilla. I have always only drunk mainly water and tea the last 20 years. 1 cup of coffee with sugar every day when I take the dogs to the local Cafe on our walk. I haven't drunk alcohol for 20 years or so ( I was and remain an Alchoholic). I am however Morbidly obese due to Eating loads of cakes puddings sweets etc etc, having a very sweet tooth. Plus I love Bread and chips etc.. Absolutely Stupid. Well I have slung everything out to make a new start. It's gonna be a struggle.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for your reply Andrew. I had eaten some Turkey breast with stir fried Broccoli, spinach. 1 egg and onion plus I had a flour tortilla. I have always only drunk mainly water and tea the last 20 years. 1 cup of coffee with sugar every day when I take the dogs to the local Cafe on our walk. I haven't drunk alcohol for 20 years or so ( I was and remain an Alchoholic). I am however Morbidly obese due to Eating loads of cakes puddings sweets etc etc, having a very sweet tooth. Plus I love Bread and chips etc.. Absolutely Stupid. Well I have slung everything out to make a new start. It's gonna be a struggle.
these sites helped me
http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf it’s a long page and a video
http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/lowcarbliving/a/Food-Cravings.htm For me, the more carbs we eat the more carbs we want. they don’t give up easy.
http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/lowcarb101/a/firstweek.htm
http://www.lowcarbdietitian.com/blog/carbohydrate-restriction-an-option-for-diabetes-management

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Can't recommend the Dietdoctor site enough! Try this out. I had a sweet tooth too and the first few days are a struggle but then you don't look back. I have the odd half portion of cake now and then. I have put up some recipes at Scandis recipes. Hugsx

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I would drop the flour tortilla and replace it with something else which is lower in carb or just not have it at all. Water, tea, coffee are good but be aware that caffeine can raise glucose levels. I would suggest stopping the sugar in it. That is immediately going to push you up. If you are going to have milk I would suggest normal milk and not skimmed. Skimmed is much higher in sugars. Alcohol in spiri form or red wine is actually not to bad as long as it is in moderation, I havent really done alcohol since my late 20s so that isn't a bigger but good you aren't a beer man.

Bread, chips, cakes, sweets etc are definitely my weakness too. Well they were but I smell a doughnut now and the stench of the sugar just turns my stomach. However, chips, I still like to eat but I do it in much smaller amounts - a handful at most. I have replaced my sweet tooth with a passion for nuts and dark chocolate. I do not "pig out" on the chocolate but the nuts I have known to. Nuts are mostly fats which do not push your BG levels up. There are some carbs but these will be released extremely slowly due to the fats.

It is surprising how fast it can be to retrain your palette. Unfortunately I still hate cooked vegetables. I like to eat the raw - except broccoli blah!

Reactions: 2 people

Gobiker56

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I would drop the flour tortilla and replace it with something else which is lower in carb or just not have it at all. Water, tea, coffee are good but be aware that caffeine can raise glucose levels. I would suggest stopping the sugar in it. That is immediately going to push you up. If you are going to have milk I would suggest normal milk and not skimmed. Skimmed is much higher in sugars. Alcohol in spiri form or red wine is actually not to bad as long as it is in moderation, I havent really done alcohol since my late 20s so that isn't a bigger but good you aren't a beer man.

Bread, chips, cakes, sweets etc are definitely my weakness too. Well they were but I smell a doughnut now and the stench of the sugar just turns my stomach. However, chips, I still like to eat but I do it in much smaller amounts - a handful at most. I have replaced my sweet tooth with a passion for nuts and dark chocolate. I do not "pig out" on the chocolate but the nuts I have known to. Nuts are mostly fats which do not push your BG levels up. There are some carbs but these will be released extremely slowly due to the fats.

It is surprising how fast it can be to retrain your palette. Unfortunately I still hate cooked vegetables. I like to eat the raw - except broccoli blah!
I've replaced the Sugar with stevia in my coffee. I very rarely ate vegetables, I assumed they were just to make the plate look pretty. Salads are always nice in Spain so that's a bonus. I had one of those oatmeal recipes for breakfast, with dried fruit n nuts, cinnamon etc. You normally wouldn't get me to eat porridge at gunpoint, but must admit done the night before and cold was nice. I am using 40% fibre 1% milk which you get here, it's OK not as nice as whole milk, but once mixed in it does the job. Still got a dry mouth and eyesight playing up, but not widdling as much.

Reactions: 2 people