I have reversed my type 2 Diabetes

stefanjson

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In January 2012, I received my diagnosis of type 2 diabetes when measured HbA1C at 99 and a fasting blood glucose of 19.6. I had at that time a doctor I strongly questioned both then and later. I had for about 6 months pointed to my physician I suffered from several symptoms typical of diabetes. This took my doctor no notice of, and they did not measure my blood sugar. I had at this time a match weight of ca. 155 kg, and I had received a referral for a Gastric Bypass. It was in connection with an investigation before this operation as they discovered my blood sugar soaring. I complained of this to my doctor and his reaction was, oh well, have we not measured your blood sugar before !? After having measured the blood sugar, I was prescribed Metformin. About the same time I also had time to do a gastric by-pass surgery. My thoughts moved very well on blood sugar, but also about the upcoming surgery. Is this the only possible way out?

I had about one year before that tested low-carbohydrate diet for a few months with reasonable results. Could low carbohydrate diet be something that could help me to avoid surgery and medicine? I buried myself in what low-carb diet was and how it could help me. Pretty soon, I had so much clear to me that I said no to the surgery and I skipped even Metformin. I was convinced that low carbohydrate diet could help me to better health and that as a bonus would get a weight loss. I had decided to give low-carb diet a fair chance. I went on a strict low carbohydrate diet and in less than 10 months, I had reversed my type 2 diabetes, to a blood sugar of a perfectly healthy person's level with an HbA1c of 39 and a fasting blood glucose at 5.4-5.6 and also dropped a number of kilos, and this without any medication, just by changing lifestyle. Now think of someone that this is perhaps only temporary, but I can sign that it is not. Today, I still have the same fine blood sugar, HbA1c 38-39, the sugar 5.4-5.6 and my other medicinal values are better than they have been for 25-30 years, moreover, I have lost about 50 kg overweight! So yes, you can reverse type 2 diabetes!

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome to the forum :)

Well done! Keep up the good work :)

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In January 2012, I received my diagnosis of type 2 diabetes when measured HbA1C at 99 and a fasting blood glucose of 19.6. I had at that time a doctor I strongly questioned both then and later. I had for about 6 months pointed to my physician I suffered from several symptoms typical of diabetes. This took my doctor no notice of, and they did not measure my blood sugar. I had at this time a match weight of ca. 155 kg, and I had received a referral for a Gastric Bypass. It was in connection with an investigation before this operation as they discovered my blood sugar soaring. I complained of this to my doctor and his reaction was, oh well, have we not measured your blood sugar before !? After having measured the blood sugar, I was prescribed Metformin. About the same time I also had time to do a gastric by-pass surgery. My thoughts moved very well on blood sugar, but also about the upcoming surgery. Is this the only possible way out?

I had about one year before that tested low-carbohydrate diet for a few months with reasonable results. Could low carbohydrate diet be something that could help me to avoid surgery and medicine? I buried myself in what low-carb diet was and how it could help me. Pretty soon, I had so much clear to me that I said no to the surgery and I skipped even Metformin. I was convinced that low carbohydrate diet could help me to better health and that as a bonus would get a weight loss. I had decided to give low-carb diet a fair chance. I went on a strict low carbohydrate diet and in less than 10 months, I had reversed my type 2 diabetes, to a blood sugar of a perfectly healthy person's level with an HbA1c of 39 and a fasting blood glucose at 5.4-5.6 and also dropped a number of kilos, and this without any medication, just by changing lifestyle. Now think of someone that this is perhaps only temporary, but I can sign that it is not. Today, I still have the same fine blood sugar, HbA1c 38-39, the sugar 5.4-5.6 and my other medicinal values are better than they have been for 25-30 years, moreover, I have lost about 50 kg overweight! So yes, you can reverse type 2 diabetes!

welcome here :) stefanjson
wow what a fine job you are doing and have done till now , please keep reporting of how your journey goes very inspirering indeed .. congratuations it is so wonderful to get a much more fit body again...thanks for sharing :)

Last edited:

BrianTheElder

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Snide people
Hi @stefanjson Great to hear from you on the forum. Also, a terrific job on managing your T2D, sounds like you are now set for a long and healthy life and I wish you well.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Blimey, well done. An inspiring story. :)

May I ask if you are continuing with your strict low carb diet? If you have relaxed a bit, by how much?

Reactions: aliadnan

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done, @stefanjson . It is uplifting to hear of someone taking responsibility for their own health and wellbeing.
Please continue to post to encourage others.
Also, remain vigilant, it is so easy to become complacent. I know from personal experience.
Not wishing to detract from your achievement. Impressive.

Reactions: Robbity

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hej! Jag kan rekommendera facebookgruppen Smarta Diabetiker! Och systergruppen med recept förstås, tror att den heter Smarta diabetiker recept, helt enkelt.

Reactions: kumera

Concordjan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not very good on computers!
Well done and welcome to the forum. It' good to hear your story. Bra gjort (hope that is right!)

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Wow! Well done.
If I lost 50kgs on low carb I'd avoid surgery too.
Although if I lose 50kgs I'll be a medical miracle with all my other health problems. I'd definitely consider donating my body to science.
I definitely know weight loss isn't a magic wand but I'm very very impressed with your loss. In fact more than reversing your diabetes.
On low carbing only? It just goes to show how fattening carbs are!
Fat eating is healthier than carb eating! Neither wonder people are struggling to reverse their diabetes. Who would have thought it!!!
Well done :)
An inspiration!

tayelola

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Mo ki ogbeni Stefajson pupo pe o ku ajaye lowo aisan ito suga. Iwuri nla gba ni eleyi je fun awa yoku ti aisan yi nba finra. Imoran temi ni wipe kio mase kare ninu ilana tio gunle lati bo lowo aisan. Mo ri eko ko. Emi na yio si gbiyanju lati se awokose ti ogbeni Stefanjson.

Reactions: ravensmitten

AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
Wow .. Wow .. what a wonderful outcome @stefanjson .. you are a true inspiration :joyful::joyful:

Steam Engineer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was also diagnosed as type 2 diabetic in October 2014, weight 17st 13lbs.(251lbs).
Ended up following a low carbohydrate diet, along with exercise regime and by end of March 2015, blood sugar steady at 5.2, weight now 14st (196lbs)., no medication required, told by doctor no longer classed as diabetic.
Have stuck with the diet and exercise since then, have my yearly checks,no sign of return to diabetes, although I do have the occasional problem with neuropathy with my feet.
Tended to put on weight over December and January this time, took my weight up to 216lbs, tightened up on the diet and increased the exercise regime, then as a result have taken out a yearly membership of gym at the local swimming pool, and now weight back down to 205lbs. Trying to get back down to a target of 200lbs, Might make it, might not , the main thing is to keep the diabetes at bay.

Ronni.p

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Congratulations on an awesome result from all your hard work. I love reading inspiring stories like yours.

McNicky100

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have reversed mine as well, my result was 5.2 after a year doing LCHF from 6.3 and lost 15kg, also cured my diverticulitis, haven't had an attack since starting the diet. So happy

Reactions: Freema

Steam Engineer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have now reached 200lbs in weight, 16lbs lost since start of March, now having to reset my target to see how much further I can drop my weight. Happy where I am if I cannot drop any further.

Atnes

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have a question regarding the three monthly blood test. I was last tested on 1st March but am going away for three weeks so asked to have my blood test two weeks before the three months. Is up. Will this make a difference t my result ?

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a question regarding the three monthly blood test. I was last tested on 1st March but am going away for three weeks so asked to have my blood test two weeks before the three months. Is up. Will this make a difference t my result ?
If you mean the HbA1c test, then it is a sort of rolling average so it will just include the last 2 weeks of the previous period which won't make any difference. They don't normally do the test more frequently than 3 months because of the cost.

Reactions: Freema