Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Whoops, pressed the wrong button!!

They also wanted to know how I use the strips and how I interpret the results of the finger prick tests. I was asked if there was anything else I do that isn't 'standard' and I mentioned my various experiments with fasting, intermittent fasting, carnivore, Diet Doctor and all the other stuff I've done over the years. I could hear the mass gasp when I said about water only fasting for five days. LOL

I'm getting together an email with various links to send them as they've requested.

I did mention my worsening arthritis but they stuck to their agenda.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Well done, sounds like they learned a lot! Are you still going to get your strips?

Yes!!! I made it very clear how important it is to know what your blood glucose is when doing this. I was assured that I will still get them as long as they are so important in keeping my HbA1C so low.

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
That is truly fabulous chook.
Have another huge hug.
And well done for taking the call, and dealing with it so well.

What sort of questions were they asking?

Really it was the nuts and bolts of it. How did I get the idea, what do i eat, when do I eat, when do I test, how do I interpret and act on the test results, any hypos (I said I only go hyper and then get hypo if I eat too many carbs - then had to explain that one to them!)

They also asked if I thought other normal people could do it. I said there's a whole forum here that are.

Caeseji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self-fellating idiots that don't at all look at other people's views
I just got caught up with this @Chook and good lord what a ride you have been on but fantastic news on getting them to actually listen to you and that you're getting to keep the strips too. Must admit when I saw the first post I was offended for you because that was not a good standard of care. Good on you for pushing back!

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@Brunneria Thanks for the hug. I must admit it's a bit weird talking to a whole bunch of people you can't see who are sitting in a conference room somewhere.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done @Chook :couchpotato:

You have probably done more to bring your practice out of the dark ages and potentially improve the care of every other diabetic at your surgery in that one phone call than years of very much optional educational updates.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well, that was interesting. It seems like my GP practice is moving on from the Dark Ages. The reason for yesterday's phone call was the new DN was being brought up to speed by my GP (the same one who three years ago called my proposed low carb diet 'a hippy, dippy diet' that he couldn't recommend or support me on). As they were going through all the T2s discussing meds, courses, other treatments, apparently my records stood out as being completely different because of my HbA1C being at non diabetic levels and, on looking in more detail they found that I haven't had a prescription for insulin for nearly three years yet I'm still getting the strips.

One funny bit, I know their record keeping is a bit haphazard but they thought I must have had some sort of bariatric surgery that they didn't know about.

So the phone call yesterday was to find out EXACTLY what I'm doing. The reviews with the DNs don't include a tick box answer for discussing controlling with a low carb diet and even though it has been discussed at every review it hasn't been noted and that's why I'm still shown as insulin dependant. And that's why I still get the strips. I did get a sort of apology for yesterday because the DN had passed on that the doctor may have been a bit harsh (!) and maybe hadn't explained fully the reason they were calling..

All the people in on todays conference call introduced themselves (eight of them) but only one asked questions which the others had given to him in advance. What they really wanted was to know what made me take this option, how long it took, what support I had at the beginningand what my diet and life is like on a daily basis.

That’s all it took for David Unwin to turn him and his surgery around!

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
Well done Chook! That's absolutely wonderful. Think of all the T2's at your practice who may well now get more appropriate advice and care - and that's down to you. I think you can be extremely proud of yourself for speaking up when it can't have been easy! :happy::happy::happy:

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
You gotta laugh.... after all that my BGs have rocketed up.... :shifty:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done @Chook . It comes to something when we have to educate the doctors and nurses, but brilliant you stuck to your guns and did just that. I just hope the word spreads round the surgery and other T2s get more appropriate help. Have another hug from me.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Another well done from me! Brilliant work spreading the word, I hope it helps other type 2s at your practice x

Reactions: Evie-D and Chook

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Another well done from me! Brilliant work spreading the word, I hope it helps other type 2s at your practice x

If it helps just one other person it will be worth it.

I'm getting a few emails from some of the people on the conference call asking for clarification of some bits and even from people that didn't participate but have listened to the tape of it. *

It seems to me that most of them knew that its possible to control T2 with low carb WOE but didn't think a non medical person would understand the concept, would think to test BGs and would be able to cope with it for such a long time.

We, on this forum, are obviously a special and unusual bunch. :smug:

* I was asked about it being taped and being used for educational purposes in advance.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Sorry you're being put through this, Chook. It's even worse when it comes out of the blue. Hopefully you have sowed a seed with
If it helps just one other person it will be worth it.

I'm getting a few emails from some of the people on the conference call asking for clarification of some bits and even from people that didn't participate but have listened to the tape of it. *

It seems to me that most of them knew that its possible to control T2 with low carb WOE but didn't think a non medical person would understand the concept, would think to test BGs and would be able to cope with it for such a long time.

We, on this forum, are obviously a special and unusual bunch. :smug:

* I was asked about it being taped and being used for educational purposes in advance.
Wow! What a result, well done that Lass.

Reactions: Chook

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The arrogance of some doctors amazes me. What is so special about being a medical person, and why do some assume we are all incapable of understanding the concept, using meters to guide us, and interpreting the results.

Well done again. I wouldn't be surprised if they invite you to do some talks to fellow T2s at the surgery.

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed
M

Member496333

The arrogance of some doctors amazes me. What is so special about being a medical person, and why do some assume we are all incapable of understanding the concept, using meters to guide us, and interpreting the results.

Well done again. I wouldn't be surprised if they invite you to do some talks to fellow T2s at the surgery.

Have to say I was thinking the same thing. It’s an impressive achievement, but in the grand scheme of things it’s hardly a Nobel Prize nomination. Oh my goodness a patient knows more about their own illness than we do :rolleyes:

:D

1spuds

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
They also asked if I thought other normal people could do it. I said there's a whole forum here that are.
Im sooooo impressed with what you did.That you got your strips being outside of the computer guidelines is quite an achievement,so well done!!!

I will be educating my Dr too on my next visit regarding LCHF.Something that he wanted me to do,and I did...I live in snow country and he wanted results/testing WITHOUT added exercise because I cant get outside in winter,so what would happen then he asked?So I will have those numbers for him.A smart guy,he will listen and learn.

As for VA,they are incapable of listening to anything unfortunately,I feel so sorry for veterans that have that as their only option.They are so arrogant and full of themselves.Completely closed minds.Pointless it seems to talk to them in my experiences.That you succeeded with NHS just blows my mind,KUDOS again!!

Thank you forum folks for changing the world,and me.I will try to do same also.Each convert is a victory.

1spuds

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have to say I was thinking the same thing. It’s an impressive achievement, but in the grand scheme of things it’s hardly a Nobel Prize nomination.
In my world it would be,what an achievement! Lives may have been saved,quality of life for many may now be improved.What a win!!

That people who call themselves experts can be so behind the times just astounds me!
Where is the continuing education???