I keep gaining weight!

KitLou95

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'm 22 and before diagnosis in October 2016 I weighed 15 stone 6 lbs. I'm 6 foot 1. Aware that's already quite heavy. Now after being on insulin from November I am now 16 stone 7!!! I'm so depressed about this. I'm not eating particularly bad although when I feel down I do eat a few biscuits or crisps.

I exercise by walking the dog 40 minutes three times a week and I play squash at the weekend when I can or I feel well enough to.

I started on novorapid and Lantus in January (31st) before that was misdiagnosed and put on metformin and insulatard.

Someone please help me. I have a big holiday to New York in May. I want to lose some weight. I feel hungry all the time!!!

Reactions: Freema

Paddyxx

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm 22 and before diagnosis in October 2016 I weighed 15 stone 6 lbs. I'm 6 foot 1. Aware that's already quite heavy. Now after being on insulin from November I am now 16 stone 7!!! I'm so depressed about this. I'm not eating particularly bad although when I feel down I do eat a few biscuits or crisps.

I exercise by walking the dog 40 minutes three times a week and I play squash at the weekend when I can or I feel well enough to.

I started on novorapid and Lantus in January (31st) before that was misdiagnosed and put on metformin and insulatard.

Someone please help me. I have a big holiday to New York in May. I want to lose some weight. I feel hungry all the time!!!

Is the exercise new ? Sometimes people gain weight when they initially start an exercise program. The easiest way to lose weight quickly is to reduce what you eat....and specifically eat fewer carbs. In the short term this will shed some water and make it more comfortable for you to get more exercise.

KitLou95

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Is the exercise new ? Sometimes people gain weight when they initially start an exercise program. The easiest way to lose weight quickly is to reduce what you eat....and specifically eat fewer carbs. In the short term this will shed some water and make it more comfortable for you to get more exercise.

Hi Paddy,

Nope - I've been walking my dog three times a week for years. The squash is a new factor only started doing that a few weekends ago.

I'm just so frustrated! I've never done a low carb diet before but I'm honestly so depressed about it. I feel so hungry all the time, I'll eat then few hours later want to eat again. I check my sugars obviously but still want to eat. :(

Paddyxx

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi Paddy,

Nope - I've been walking my dog three times a week for years. The squash is a new factor only started doing that a few weekends ago.

I'm just so frustrated! I've never done a low carb diet before but I'm honestly so depressed about it. I feel so hungry all the time, I'll eat then few hours later want to eat again. I check my sugars obviously but still want to eat. :(

Try not to get discouraged. A little bit at a time...try getting out for a short walk everyday.Regular exercise is better...start small...do 10 mins a day and work your way up....eventually you start losing some weight and feel better. Eat a little less...do a little more. It's not going to happen overnight...eat what you already eat just smaller portions. Get a little more exercise,,,losing weight could have the most dramatic effect on your blood sugar. Of course...discuss any planning with your doc / nurse !

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm afraid that insulin is the fat making hormone, so the more carbs you eat and have to counter with insulin, the more carbs are converted into glycogen and fat.
I am no expert on insulin, but are you trying to keep your blood glucose levels fairly low? Dropping levels of glucose in the blood stimulate feelings of hunger, so eating smaller amounts more frequently or allowing your blood glucose to rise a little higher could help to control the hunger.
Are you sticking to low fat foods? they tend to have carbs added to counter the absence of fat, so they aren't a good choice.