1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

i know everyone is different but looking for others opinions

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by kaylz91, Nov 12, 2017.

1. kaylz91

kaylz91 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

So I know we all have our own targets etc but what do all my fellow people class as an acceptable post meal spike?

2. karen8967

karen8967 Type 1 · Expert

hi kaylz91 my post meal spikes are anything between 9-12 which i dont really worry about too much as im back in range by my next meal :)

• Like Like x 2
  3. phdiabetic

phdiabetic Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Best case: maximum value somewhere in the 7's (or less, but sometimes that is indicative of basal problems for me, so I get a bit nervous if I eat and don't spike at all. Obviously it's a good result, but usually it means I'll be headed downwards soon after)

Acceptable: depends on the time of day. If I know I will be doing some activity e.g. getting dressed, showering then I will be ok with a higher number because I know I will drop. Recently I've been getting 8's-10's after breakfast, which I wasn't happy with, but they tended to drop back down quickly after just a couple minutes of incidental exercise. If I'm not exercising, then I will be ok (although slightly disappointed) with anything between 8 and 9. Over 9 is too high, in my case it is almost always due to basal so I will adjust that, or else I will exercise around that time to help stabilise a spike.

4. Wurst

Wurst Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I aim to keep my BS below 5.5 mmol and > 4.3 mmol at all times, no post meal spikes allowed :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Circuspony

Circuspony Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I get big post meal spikes (up to 15), but they drop back very quickly. Where possible I take my insulin 30 mins in advance, but I drop hard and fast with exercise so have learnt that I can't take insulin if I'm under 5 (unless food is imminent) and I also need to just go with the high if I'm about to exercise.

No hard and fast rule about what makes me spike either - but I'm only a few months in so hopefully it'll settle in time.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Kristin251

Kristin251 LADA · Expert

Under 5.5 like @Wurst. Only a slight rise is exceptable, no spikes. And no hypos

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. DaveTC

DaveTC Type 1 · Active Member

For me I'd say 12, even there I probably haven't quite done enough bolus. Anything over 15 it's clear I've eaten too much.

It's surprising sometimes how different things affect you, I've spiked at over 20, 4 hours post eating cake my boss has made before, hitting 16, 2 hours after eating. Took a few extra correction shots to get back in the right place.

8. Juicyj

Juicyj Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

Ideally you should be aiming for anything up to a 2 mmol/l spike after eating, which is the guideline for type 1 diabetics.

9. novorapidboi26

novorapidboi26 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

This is the rule I try and follow......unless I am high of course, I will try and get a more steady profile over the next few hours....

Trying and achieving don't always tie in though....;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Juicyj

Juicyj Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

Agree @novorapidboi26 - I can sometimes spike up to 14 mmol/l one day and not another, there very often isn't rhyme or reason, my personal target is to be in range before the next meal time.

This was a guideline and as we know guidelines are just that, the reality very often falls way short of this.

• Agree Agree x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook