I (nearly) stayed OFF my soapbox

Spl@

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Humans that only take.
I started a new volunteering role today after being stuck at home for far too long. (Go me!) Whilst at lunch there was a huge tin of custard creams in the middle of the table. These are quite possibly the hardest thing I’ve had to give up. I literally sat on my hands. Also some cakes and fudge were floating about so whilst I loved the day it’s going to be challenging in some respects.

Whilst others were chatting about how awful fat was they asked why I got nothing from the subsidised lunch van and no biscuits. I explained I didn’t eat carbs other than veg and all the van had was sandwiches and pastry. They asked why so I was happy to volunteer last summer I was dx T2 and didn’t want drugs, side effects and gradual decline so opted to eat this way as a better choice in my mind. Added I’d lost 3 stone by eating the “awful” fat and put diabetes into remission so long as I kept it up. Guy says his friend just lost a foot to diabetes So then same guy says so not just sugar? Me:nope. Him:bread, pasta, rice? Me:yep none of them and no potatoes . I prefer my toes and feet to potatoes. He asked what I ate and I said meat, veg, dairy, nuts. Him: so just good fats? Me:butter cream olive oil animal fat. Jaws drop around the room. He then says he’s type 2 and wouldn’t give up his potatoes. I just watched this man eat two cakes, three biscuits and huge bread roll and some fudge whilst planning beers tonight. I think as well as sitting on my hands I need a zip for my mouth. Biting my lips like this day after day is going to chew them off.

There are none so blind as the sighted that will not see,
There are none so deaf as those that hear but will not listen,

I know what I know and I know what I don't, so ask.

3 lines I live by, I ask the question Why like a 5 year old too.

Descending to their level will only bring you hurt, you can extend the hand but they have to have the inclination and strength of mind to reach for it, It happens to me at work, there are several pre diabetics and a full |T2 and I am the one eating weird. I have told them, that's all I can do. I would bet real money they get interested when bits start falling off.

Reactions: Grant_Vicat

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sometimes the refusal to listen is a knee jerk reaction and shock. It takes time for thought processes to do a 180 degree turn for some people. We dont know what seeds of thought we have planted, and whether they think about what we have said later.

Having been a Sunday door knocker in my early years, then yes, that desire to help others and save them is the same feeling. Except this time its based on facts. The more we talk, if appropriate and invited to, the more LCHF is normalised and the less of a shock it is to new ears, making it easier to assimilate and maybe process at some point?

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sometimes the refusal to listen is a knee jerk reaction and shock. It takes time for thought processes to do a 180 degree turn for some people. We dont know what seeds of thought we have planted, and whether they think about what we have said later.

Having been a Sunday door knocker in my early years, then yes, that desire to help others and save them is the same feeling. Except this time its based on facts. The more we talk, if appropriate and invited to, the more LCHF is normalised and the less of a shock it is to new ears, making it easier to assimilate and maybe process at some point?

I agree Lucylocket, in fact I would go so far as to say most people do not like being addressed about their 'lifestyle' at all and take it as a personal attack. Imagine someone suddenly telling you 'you're fat, you need to lose weight' for example, right out the blue in the canteen or a meeting. Who would take kindly to that even if the person saying it was doing so for your 'own good'. I think society in general (via Doctors/Health studies/pharma companies/supermarkets etc) should be doing more instead of leaving people floundering. It is a bit like an extreme Preacher in many ways and I agree that 'in your face' will not work with many people even when they know they are in danger.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can I just say that I didn’t make any comment whatsoever about his or other people’s choice, just observed silently and explained in response to a question what I was doing and how it was benefitting me. Hopefully that and watching me do it will sow seeds. I’d love to say more but won’t unless specifically asked.

I do realise that for many people low carbing is totally bizarre and probably unnecessary or even dangerous if they believe what we’ve been told for decades. Particularly older generations such as this man that are more inclined not to question drs etc. I also realise no one likes to feel like they are being told they are doing it wrong/harming themselves even if that wasn’t the intention. Hence my lip chewing silence on saying more.

I’m not ashamed of my status as diabetic despite the media telling me I should be for bringing it on myself. It’s pretty obvious I eat differently to most. Talking openly about it and being willing to say how I’ve tackled it (whilst trying not to lecture or pass judgement out loud) is my way of destigmatising type 2 and just possibly sharing a little knowledge and hope.