I need a diabetic friend

kevinfitzgerald

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
All things that hurt (emotional and physical)
Hiya @lesleyp1978

Yeah 33 years me and it does give me the needle at times :)

You said you wished you had the strength to stick to what you know you should be doing religiously!

Forget the "religiously" bit. It's not an exact science. I always treat myself during the week if things are going well and I've been doing that for well over three decades now. I had a mint feast ice cream a couple of days ago :happy:

I don't think I've ever met a diabetic regardless of type that doesn't feel lost and on their own at some point. Nobody knows a diabetic like another diabetic so when you are at that point (or not) just log on and share. Your'll always find friends on here !

Reactions: 7 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Just requested friend status..

MarcTurner83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Everyone, Ive really enjoyed reading your conversations, Im 31 and have been a member of the T1 club for 4 whole days now, dont know how or why, and a massive shock. Its been nice seeing people experienced and less experienced in the world of diabetes share my feelings. Determined to manage it as best I can and lead a healthy and full life - want to stay 3 steps ahead. Any tips for a newbie? Biggest issue for me is food, im not over weight but do enjoy my munch (and occasional pud!)

Reactions: 6 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
A pud isn't off limits!! You just need to take a step at a time to realise the carb counting and insulin to manage the puds!! Nothing should really be off limits... If you want, you should be able to find a way to eat.

I was put on a strict regime 30+ years ago. Got miserable as anything until it took me about 6 weeks to find a way to "cheat"...in my early diagnosis days it really was cheating!!! Nowadays its far more flexible and you will get there... Honest... But Rome wasn't built in a day so getting 3 steps a head at the moment can seem ok but it depends upon your own individual coping mechanisms and how good your consultants etc are....

Sorry to read though you joined our exclusive T1 club!!

The fewer the swings of highs and lows the better your health will be on a long term basis...

Brownie1993

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Requested to join! Would love a diabetic buddy!
Was diagnosed a year ago, just before my final year of university so not the best timing! However this past year went really well, achieved a 6.5% hba1c and I've just achieved a 2:1 in my degree!
However it's just really hit me the past two weeks... my bgs have been all over the place. Currently staying awake to lower my reading of 17 :( up until now I've coped really well emotionally. Although my mates don't really understand I've found that's helped me to be more "normal" if ya get me. But now I'm just really down.. I hate that when I'm in social situations and a cake is being passed round I have to reject it etc. Would love a good old moan right now!

Reactions: 4 people

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hey @Brownie1993 well done on your degree!! What did you study?

Hope you got your bg down n got to bed!

What's changed in the last few weeks? You been under any stress? Been doing anything differently?

I NEVER say no to cake, it's impossible for me, but that's ok because k have insulin and that insulin allows me to have it, so don't feel like there is something you cannot have, just obviously in moderation :)

Fayefaye1429

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hey brownie I am sorry to hear your feeling down. I am member of the group staying up due to bgs being high. You have done awesome balancing university congrats, new diagnosis and all the social stuff. I don't know if it helps when I was diagnosed 15 years ago I handled it well to but after a while I needed some time to just be a bit sad. I mean there is a lot that isn't different in life after getting d but there is a lot different to. I felt I just needed a little space to process what happened, what life is now, review the good and bad and just grieve a little. What I am saying is for me it was exhausting be ok all the time, in private on my own I needed space to not be which gave be energy to understand, be as ok as could be and look to the future so maybe it's ok although not nice but it's ok to be sad for a little bit

Reactions: 2 people

Sibyl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm also 56 but was only diagnosed last year. I think the problem is in any group of friends we are likely to be the only T1. Of course we try initially to share but unless you or close family member have it no one can empathise. So we strive to appear the same as everyone else. Thank goodness for a site like this! Lol!

Sent from my KFTT using DCUK Forum mobile app

Claire007

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi! I'm Claire and was diagnosed type1 6 weeks ago aged 44. It still hasn't sunk in properly yet that I have to do this FOREVER :mad: and I feel like having a full on toddler tantrum, banging my fists and flailing around on the floor shouting 'It's not fair!!'

But I won't :) I shall be good, test my bloods and try and work out how much insulin to give and get through today.

My average BG on my meter is 6.7 since diagnosis, and my DSN is very pleased. I will definitely join the FB page!

Reactions: 8 people

Wadey08

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
First time on here and the diabetic buddy sounds like a great idea. Had type 1 for 10 years now and never spoken to a fellow diabetic about it. Requested into the FB group

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi! I'm Claire and was diagnosed type1 6 weeks ago aged 44. It still hasn't sunk in properly yet that I have to do this FOREVER :mad: and I feel like having a full on toddler tantrum, banging my fists and flailing around on the floor shouting 'It's not fair!!'

But I won't :) I shall be good, test my bloods and try and work out how much insulin to give and get through today.

My average BG on my meter is 6.7 since diagnosis, and my DSN is very pleased. I will definitely join the FB page!
Claire007, I was diagnosed at 5, but my younger sister got it at 33, and she felt like you. Funny thing was that the GP who diagnosed her had also been diagnosed as an adult, and the GP (a woman) said, "I broke a few chairs!"

octoba

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello everyone,

this is my first official post besides the formal presentation :)

I have joined the T1 club in September 2014, can't think it is almost a year now...

The worst struggle I had, was to make the people around you understand how f**** up diabetes can be.
I have never met someone with diabetes before but the reaction I got when I was diagnosed from everyone around me was, "it is not so bad" as if there were worse things and there are but...
I had a big issue because I never liked the taste of vegetables. I love my meat and raw.
My vegan wife has tried so many times for me to walk on through the vegan side. I have tasted lots of great vegan food but it is just not up my alley.
So I was forced to do big changes in my life, for me it was giving up almost everything I ate.
I have never been overweight, I have always been the spaghetti type, I am currently at 60 kg, 70 kg a year ago before the diagnosis. Why did this happen to me??

My first month was me against the world. Completely misunderstood and the biggest trouble was yet to come. How could I go back to working as hard as I did having to monitor this disease so closely.
I could not go back as a victim and show any weakness , I work as IT consultant in big IT projects, constantly in meetings,some of them 6 to 8 hours long. I could not let diabetes rule my life and eventually be dispensable for my company. I still have plans in life and work had to be kept.
I was lucky to be home my first month of diabetes so I could drill all the routines in my head. At first it was not easy, but I have now other routines to keep my diabetes in check. Getting a coffee and a quick slice of bread in the bar in front of my company as an example. Doing a bathroom break to measure my blood sugar.
I have now managed to keep my diabetes completely under the radar, unless absolutely necessary and only when there is no way around it (Hypo or Hyper). I have learned that nobody will understand what you are going through. I don't mean it in a bad sense because it has given me the motivation to include diabetes into my life as opposed to letting Diabetes rule me.

It is a very lonely club though....
Even people that had family members with diabetes don't fully comprehend what it can do to you on a physical and emotional level. It is certainly an emotional challenge and quite the roller-coaster.

Reactions: 5 people

Sibyl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Octoba, I too was diagnosed type 1 last September. Unlike you, however, I'm a housewife and 56. I have the time to work out my carbs and injections - though not always convenient it's the ideal senario in the circumstances. I think you're amazing! Taking this all onboard and doing a stressful, full on job as well can't be easy. I read somewhere that Theresa May was also diagnosed T1 a couple of years ago - she hasn't seemed to miss a beat in her high powered, highly visable job. Guess you have to be determined and motivated. I feel sometimes that I'm spinning a plate on a long pole while riding a bicycle on a tightrope! Only now do I really begin to understand what a wonderful bit of kit my pancreas was! I'm very grateful to the old hands on this site. Although they are still battling away they always take the time to encourage us newly initiated and to answer all our endless questions. Our new family I guess!

octoba

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello Sibyl,

sorry for the late response, my work hours keep getting crazier....

I did not have much of a choice as I am the country manager for Portugal, being the only person at the moment here.
After I came back they said they needed me 200% and there it hit me. If I started lowering my performance, sooner or later, the company would have no understanding and there might someone else on the line.
I guess the toughest thing about having diabetes is the fact that for many people it is not a disease. It is just that you cant take any sugar.... and have to eat healthier. This was my biggest hurdle, being desperate about having been diagnosed with a chronic illness that could eventually lead the organ failure and people not understanding. I was so frustrated about this and tried to explain people what it really meant but I gave up. It was a lost battle and in the end, I did not want people to feel sorry for me or treat me differently. For me, the only choice was to get on with my life.

Since I am quite the tech geek, I started to create all sort of reminders to keep me in check while in meetings. I bought an Android watch only to set Diabetes related reminders and they are now part of my daily routine.
Thankfully my body still produces some insulin so I have been able to keep my levels around 6.

Now things however seem a bit more stressful and I am starting to have over 230 consistently after dinner, I guess the stress plays a role in all of this.
My big worry however is that I have lost a lot of weight and don't know how to gain it back. I have stopped skating and exercising because I am already at the limit of my BMI. Pre-diagnosis I was always around 70kg, when diagnosed 65kg and today I am at 58.5.
Lets see if things slow down during summer and I can get my much needed vacation time to disconnect and get my levels back to normal.

Hope to have some more time soon to look around the forum and get to know our new family. :)

octoba

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hello Claire,

I felt the same, I was diagnosed with 38. It took me some time to get through my anger issues. Everything annoyed me, speaking with people about it was unbearable. At some point life took over and now almost a year has passed....

PS:"It still isn't fair!!!" ;)

Reactions: 4 people

junkieman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who judge you before knowing you....( I'm a double below the knee amputee)
Request send to facebook group. Been type 1 since 5th November 1981.......4 injections a day....just as well i work for the NHS!!!