I Need Info On Brittle Diabetes

martin_1967

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
being ill .and idiots
hi one and all , i was diagnosed with brittle diabetes in 08-9 i think it was but i dont know if its t 1 or 2 not that i am even sure it matters .
little med history , white male age 49 and never been over weight always between 10-11 stone i also have ulcerated colitus liver disease ,chronic pancreatitis and haematuria plus other minor things i am taking meds for these and take insulin to novorapid and levemir ,basics over i have been trying to get information on this type of diabetes for years and all i can find is a postage stamp sise piece on it and although the nhs called me in to tell me how important it is that i recieve lots of help with it the dockors and nurses either dont know how to help or tell me theirs no such thing.
between monday and tuesday night i had 7 hypos and its taking days to get just a little well before it starts again and i am absolutely knackerd so if their is a club anything anyone that can possibly help i will love you till tuesday or if its realy good i could strech it till wednesday ,if i need to contack personaly then i am sure it can be done one way or another thanks for reading ..oh my doctor said i should ignore my haematuria even though i can be bleeding very visibly up to 3 days and sometimes get anemia through it . very concerned with this. loves you all toodle pip 4 now

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Sounds as if you are having to much insulin, so you need to do some simple basal tests to see what's going on. As I understand it there is no such thing as brittle diabetes just badly controlled which can be caused by many different factors including other medical conditions.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
First off, welcome.

Have you been offered any course regarding how to adjust your insulin? How often do you test? Are you under a consultant at hospital or just at GP Practice?

Brittle diabetes is really just a nice way of saying its uncontrolled, but that can be due to many factors.

Stay with us. Respond and you'll get some help.

We're not "professionals" of course, we can only advise what we would do in our experience. Many of us have had many experiences!

Reactions: 2 people

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Brittle diabetes isn't a type of diabetes, it's just a name for when diabetes is difficult to control.

If you don't know what type of diabetes you have, I think it's probably unlikely it's type 1. Your history of chronic pancreatitis and how difficult your diabetes/insulin regime is proving to manage suggests type 3c.

As to how to manage better, I'd recommend learning a bit more about your insulins - read think like a pancreas, do the bournemouth carb counting course, ask for a referral to a DAFNE course, do some basal testing.

- BEDC course : http://www.bdec-e-learning.com
- how to basal test : https://mysugr.com/basal-rate-testing/

Reactions: 4 people

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I find managing bs and insulin impossible when I eat carbs. I'm LADA but eating cRbs would make me roller coaster all through the day and night....

Last edited by a moderator:

martin_1967

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
being ill .and idiots
thanks one and all i was told to do a carb diet but could not get it right as i would eat the same each day and still get differant readings ie 2 hrs after it would be 8 the next day 1.8 and so on and when i do gardening it can constantly drop and i have to call it a day , i did ask my consultant if the constant flare up of the colitus and pancreatitus could cause a lot of the problems and after asking a couple of times the answer was it does not help , also i think my high blood presure is giveing me some similar feelings of hypos ? at the moment the gp is telling me everything is fine and its not and i got a letter this morning telling me the gp wants me in for a word or six ,dont think he liked the letter i gave him asking him to put it in writing for the jobcentre and that if i dont have cirrhosis anymore to find out if i need to be on the transplant list anymore .. my biggest problem with all this is that no one seems to have any time and it cost me £38 to get to a diab consultant when i can get a appointment plus i aint arf getting confused these last few years . be all and end all i have 2 gps in one practice telling me 2 differant things then the consultant saying i will see you in 6 months and the dietition will deal with you in the mean time and the earliest i can see her is late november . im lost .. i will go through all you have put down for me and i thank you for your time and effort . does a very high metabolism cause any problems do you know as i asked the doctor and i got a shrug of the shoulders . love you all and toodle pip 4 now . had 3 power cuts so far this evening so im charging torches at the mo...

S

Shar67

I would say you are a type3c, the LCHF diet wouldn't be any good for you but you can cut out the main culprits, bread,rice, potatoes and sugar. Chronic pancreatitis can cause bowel problems, have you taken Creon at any time, if not by the sound of it you need it.
For a couple of weeks it might also be beneficial to eat a bland soft diet, white fish, smoothies, soup, chicken, turkey.
If you get your diet right you may find hypos lessen.

Reactions: 3 people

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
@martin_1967 I saw in your post you are on benefits, if you are on IR benefits then your hospital apt transport is free of charge. Take your entitlement form to the office at the hospital and they will refund your travel expenses. (not taxi)
Wishing you well.