i need to get back on track

rosserk

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@rosserk Any chance of posting the cheesecake recipe. Im slowly building up my LC recipes but I dont have a cheesecake recipe yet.

Yes of course sorry nearly missed your post.

image.jpg

Reactions: 2 people

rosserk

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@rosserk Any chance of posting the cheesecake recipe. Im slowly building up my LC recipes but I dont have a cheesecake recipe yet.

I use hartleys sugar free jelly to flavour choose any flavour you fancy. I've added the carb value below it doesn't seem to impact on my blood sugars.

image.jpg

rosserk

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I just use ground almonds when a recipe calls for almond flour. So far so good.

@copey399 You should post on the low carb What have you eaten thread :) Doesn't have to be fancy nosh, just something to show the newbies what is possible as a lot of them are bamboozled. Today I posted sausages and beans :hungry:

Do you have the thread link I'm still figuring out how to navigate the site.

copey399

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I just use ground almonds when a recipe calls for almond flour. So far so good.

@copey399 You should post on the low carb What have you eaten thread :) Doesn't have to be fancy nosh, just something to show the newbies what is possible as a lot of them are bamboozled. Today I posted sausages and beans :hungry:

Lol .. too embarrassed by my limited culinary skills (blush). How can you get to your 70s and not be a good cook you may ask. I ask myself that too. Just not interested I suppose. Can do basic stuff and with an O/H who doesn't like his food "mucked about with" I've never bothered with herbs and spices. We used to have lots of take-aways and eat out a lot too. I am trying though. I have just marinated some chicken in lemon and garlic so we'll see what that turns out like. Put O/Hs to one side as he hates garlic :( We had it at a BBQ and it was lovely.

Reactions: 4 people

rosserk

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you I will try it this weekend. Sounds delicious. I know what you mean about keeping the non diabetics away from it. I have to hide my baking and when Im cooking my dinner I have to ask my daughter if she wants what Im having or what everyone else is having, so it can be a challenge in itself.

lollyann1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am T1 and diagnosed 2 years ago. I still have some Beta cells kicking in when they choose after Pancreatic surgery so I don't know my optimum insulin/food ratio. This means I have to test a lot. I feel as though I have lost my way this week; probably due to a viral infection, and I will have to get myself back into gear following a Hypo. It is just something we have to keep on doing; not always easy. Diabetes is not an exact Science.

srm100841

Hi everyone
I need you to give me a big kick up the backside. I did so well when I was first diagnosed with type 2 last year and managed to get down my weight and glucose levels. Over the summer we have had a number of birthdays and holidays and I seem to have lost my way. I need to get back on track. Encouragement and/or threats needed!
My philosophy is that the only way for us lot to manage is to 'red-line' certain foods. The object being to avoid ALL highs and lows. From what I've gathered on the website I must avoid peaks and troughs. Over the last 12 years or so I've red-lined bread, cakes, pasta, rice and just about abolished potato and other root vegetables. At the same time via testing I've deduced that I can't really tolerate milk or cream so have adjusted my drinks so have green tea and freshly ground black coffee which suits me fine. I don't have rewards or succumb to passing tempation but still have a very varied and tasty diet. I can't have what my family and friends have but still manage to eat out at least once a week and have all sorts of countries' cuisines.

Don't sell yourself short, stick to what you know keeps you to your levels. Avoid peaks and troughs. It's easy - or so they tell me, ha, ha!!! Good luck.

Reactions: 3 people
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Aerobics
Hi everyone
I need you to give me a big kick up the backside. I did so well when I was first diagnosed with type 2 last year and managed to get down my weight and glucose levels. Over the summer we have had a number of birthdays and holidays and I seem to have lost my way. I need to get back on track. Encouragement and/or threats needed!
I have been less than perfect controlling my diabetes I have also Type 2 and have recently joined a Gym so I a m trying to make a effort. I dont know how long it is going to last.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
The trouble I have is that I'm not a "kitchen Goddess" at all. Have lived on ready meals and take-aways for so long now until getting the diabetic wake-up call and starting LC/HF that it just doesn't come easy having to put some effort in cooking up the "allowed" stuff. I scroll through all the menus and I've never got all the ingredients for anything. I need to make a list of all the low carb options like almond flour, seeds, herbs and spices, etc. but I think the prices would be a bit off-putting. As I'm the only one eating the veg and salad it seems to go off before I used it all.
Me too. My partner is the feeder. He would also be the drinker but our income is limited. The 2 young children help me stay active if not very active. My stress levels rear their ugly head too but I'm looking on her for inspiration and encouragement. Which is sooooo lacking at home.
Can we encourage each other? I still feel a bit lost regarding low carb stamina. Before the children my routine was adapted to small eating habits. I lost weight by telling myself I can have anything but just very small portions. I'm unsure if my diabetes has evolved but I feel the more I try and medicate my diabetes the more my weight adds.
I've even bought some meal replacements to kick me in the right direction of eating small. I'm struggling. Too many temptations at home. I'm really really struggling. I know what has to be done but constantly off put by my partner's lavish dinners and treats.
Have you any suggestions where I can find my backbone and be stricked with myself at least til I can ferment a good small portion routine. Help!

A

Avocado Sevenfold

@ickihun Does your partner realise how important your way of eating is to you? Food is your medicine now and he should be supportive as you are in a partnership. There are many members here living with non-diabetic partners who will hopefully be able to suggest meal ideas that will satisfy his appetite while keeping your bloods in check. I'm not much use, but wish you luck :)

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I'm just going to be strict with him as I must say no and eventually he will get the message. If I make my needs black and white for him it might help. Wish me luck?

copey399

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes of course sorry nearly missed your post.

View attachment 14931

OMG I am in the last stage of making this - just waiting for the base to cool down and then spread the topping on. That's if there's any topping left by then because it's so delicious I keep dipping in the bowl (blush). I couldn't get lemon jelly crystals so I got strawberry instead but it doesn't matter as I used to love strawberry cheesecake. You're right, it was easy even for a kitchen phobic like me :D

copey399

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Me too. My partner is the feeder. He would also be the drinker but our income is limited. The 2 young children help me stay active if not very active. My stress levels rear their ugly head too but I'm looking on her for inspiration and encouragement. Which is sooooo lacking at home.
Can we encourage each other? I still feel a bit lost regarding low carb stamina. Before the children my routine was adapted to small eating habits. I lost weight by telling myself I can have anything but just very small portions. I'm unsure if my diabetes has evolved but I feel the more I try and medicate my diabetes the more my weight adds.
I've even bought some meal replacements to kick me in the right direction of eating small. I'm struggling. Too many temptations at home. I'm really really struggling. I know what has to be done but constantly off put by my partner's lavish dinners and treats.
Have you any suggestions where I can find my backbone and be stricked with myself at least til I can ferment a good small portion routine. Help!

Aww I do feel for you ickihun x I think my partner served as a warning to me when I was recently diagnosed because he has just progressed to more and more pills and now insulin and he just doesn't take it seriously even though he's had 2 mild heart attacks :( Instead of feeling deprived when I watch him tucking into cakes, pies, biscuits etc. I just think he's being a fool to himself and unfair to me. He just laughs it off and says if he can't have what he likes then "what's the point".

Anyway, this is not about him but about you and how you can take control for yourself and your children x I'm quite new to all this so I wouldn't presume to give advice as I'm still learning but if you read all the relavant posts on here you will find a lot of help and support as I have. If you do Low Carb/High Fat you shouldn't feel tired and lack stamina. Fill up on plenty of eggs, cheese, fish, meat and cook with good quality oil and butter. Have a look on What Have You Eaten Today and see what others are having for ideas. And please keep coming here and posting your questions, comments and worries. It's always good to share what you're going through instead of feeling that you are alone with your problems. I wish you all the very best and hope you can find the support here that you're not getting at home. xxx

rosserk

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
OMG I am in the last stage of making this - just waiting for the base to cool down and then spread the topping on. That's if there's any topping left by then because it's so delicious I keep dipping in the bowl (blush). I couldn't get lemon jelly crystals so I got strawberry instead but it doesn't matter as I used to love strawberry cheesecake. You're right, it was easy even for a kitchen phobic like me :D

Brilliant well done you! I hope you like it. I'm going to try some different flavours. I made a mistake it was lemon & lime jelly I used, I've never seen lemon jelly either though I've been looking the lemon and lime was lovely.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Aww I do feel for you ickihun x I think my partner served as a warning to me when I was recently diagnosed because he has just progressed to more and more pills and now insulin and he just doesn't take it seriously even though he's had 2 mild heart attacks :( Instead of feeling deprived when I watch him tucking into cakes, pies, biscuits etc. I just think he's being a fool to himself and unfair to me. He just laughs it off and says if he can't have what he likes then "what's the point".

Anyway, this is not about him but about you and how you can take control for yourself and your children x I'm quite new to all this so I wouldn't presume to give advice as I'm still learning but if you read all the relavant posts on here you will find a lot of help and support as I have. If you do Low Carb/High Fat you shouldn't feel tired and lack stamina. Fill up on plenty of eggs, cheese, fish, meat and cook with good quality oil and butter. Have a look on What Have You Eaten Today and see what others are having for ideas. And please keep coming here and posting your questions, comments and worries. It's always good to share what you're going through instead of feeling that you are alone with your problems. I wish you all the very best and hope you can find the support here that you're not getting at home. xxx
Thank you copey. I will take your wise advice. I know it's important for this disease. I have lost good control and my enthusiasm has been knocked due to lack of support. I'm feeling confident but needy about using the feeds. My pride has been preventing me from becoming a member here but I now see it's the best thing I've done for years!
I am heavily overweight and the new insulin has added 6lb on me already. I am determined to get some weight off. I cannot live like this anymore.

mariavontrapp

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
So it turns out that I haven't made a mess of it after all. Just had my diabetic check and my Hba1c was 42! The lowest it's been since I was diagnosed last year. However,I'm not going to get complacent as I had put on 2 pounds and I don't want it to creep up.

Reactions: 3 people

copey399

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So it turns out that I haven't made a mess of it after all. Just had my diabetic check and my Hba1c was 42! The lowest it's been since I was diagnosed last year. However,I'm not going to get complacent as I had put on 2 pounds and I don't want it to creep up.

Well done xx As you say, though, it will be hard not to get complacent because if you've had a few "cheats" and got away with it you might find it harder to keep off them. I suppose if you just think how disappointed you will be if your next HBa1c has gone up again, that might help x Good luck and keep at it x

copey399

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you copey. I will take your wise advice. I know it's important for this disease. I have lost good control and my enthusiasm has been knocked due to lack of support. I'm feeling confident but needy about using the feeds. My pride has been preventing me from becoming a member here but I now see it's the best thing I've done for years!
I am heavily overweight and the new insulin has added 6lb on me already. I am determined to get some weight off. I cannot live like this anymore.

Oh I know what it's like when you don't feel comfortable with your weight. Nothing quite so depressing and it does drain your self-esteem. I stopped wanting to go to family things, etc. because I was fed up with the "disguise dressing" baggy tops and having nightmares over what I thought showed my lumps and bumps. I bet all us overweight people have been there. Bed covered in "rejects" and hot and sweaty and just not wanting to go. Even though I haven't had a massive weight loss, as soon as I started actually doing something about it my confidence and self esteem rose just simply knowing that I had stopped putting it off and really committed to doing it. I hope you will find the same. Although you might not get the support at home you might find, like me, that a friend or family member will be full of admiration when you can say "no thanks" to the tempting stuff and mean it.

My SIL was really impressed and often mentions on our chat forum how she admires my willpower and self control which is a great help. Even if you haven't got anyone to spur you on, we will on here so keep us updated on your progress and hopefully you will get the mood lift that I got xxx

Reactions: 6 people