I really don't know whether to eat cakes galore or to go on hunger strike :(

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @briped,

Sorry for not getting back earlier -- had seen your reply just a few minutes before going out today. I really enjoyed the wonderful weather here and I hope you had similarly spectacular weather in Denmark.

Seriously, I would rather trust your meter readings than the HbA1c test -- provided that your meter is reasonably accurate. The HbA1c can be as much as 0.5% off (or 15 mg/dl) -- in your case, this would be between 5.3% and 6.3%. I would hazard a guess that your real blood sugars are probably closer to the former.

To put your mind to rest, you might, for a brief period of time, test a few more times during the day, trying to catch your highs and lows. (I actually consider getting a Dexcom to use for about 2 weeks -- but unfortunately it is quite expensive, but might be worth the investment.)

I truly understand, though, how frustrating this is. You have worked so hard and this is just not reflected in your HbA1c results. This is a bit of a downer and it can be hard on your motivation.

The important thing, in my mind, though is that you are doing everything you can to minimize the risk of any diabetes-related complications. In addition to low blood sugars, keeping blood sugar fluctuations minimal is important -- and this is not even reflected in your HbA1c. You really ought to be proud of your achievement.

On another note: It might be interesting to see what happens when you up metformin and reduce Victoza. It is great to read that your health care team is there with you every step of the way and that your nurse is a good listener and empathetic. I am very happy for you.

Please take care and don't let this get you down. You really deserve much praise for what you have achieved.

Last edited:

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh I knooow (what'sher name from Faulty Towers), and yes, I certainly did wake up to a better day, thanks to you and other encouraging people in here. Slow going? You're right about that. Did you also lose and gain weight previously? You got me curious re the bad reaction to keto/IF, and of course feel free to not reply, but what happened? I hope you find the right balance again.
My DN had a hard time making me explain how many meals I eat per day, because it depends on which day. Sometimes I'm hungry, and will do something to ease the hunger, but often not enough to define that something as a 'meal'. Sometimes I'm not hungry, so will skip tea, which for most people is the main meal. DN "but nobody can live on just one meal per day!! :woot:". Me, "lots of people do that". When I added that I wished I didn't have to eat at all she looked decidedly shocked. Well, that's how I feel. Would be so much easier, wouldn't it? ;)
A Question of Balance is an ancient and lovely album by The Moody Blues, and it is. I lose weight and my BG levels go down, but my cholesterol levels up. Isn't it as if our bodies have a hard time finding that balance again? We lose weight, but for some of us it doesn't mean that we lose metformin and other kinds of medications. Our bodies are so complicated that it's hard to fathom.
Thanks for the pat on my back. It was a little bit to one side, so can I have another one to balance it out, please? :)

Good morning!

Yeah, I lost weight on LCHF, then gained a little (5 k or so), then implemented keto, lost some more... And then started IF besides. I lost lots of weight, was very happy with it, and with my amazing BS... That's when things went sideways, really. I'm still trying to figure out what went wrong. I've had intestinal problems all my life, but something went badly wrong , and that might be because I had pre-existing problems, or because something changed. So now I'm trying to figure out which it is. I got really badly constipated, as in *weeks* without *any* BM, which resulted in -hey, you asked- hemorrhoids, rediculously excessive bleeds, diverticulitis, bloating, cramps, aggrivated IBS, and basically, a load of misery. A few days ago an article was posted here about artificial sweeteners, and how they are toxic to gut bacteria... With IF I just had tea and coffee whenever I felt peckish, and every cup went with a bunch of sweeteners, because I have a huge sweet tooth. So I had about 30 to 40 of those little pills dissolved in my good, comforting drinks every day, and then I'm conservative in my guess of how many, because I always had a cup of tea beside me. So that COULD explain why things went haywire. Without sweetener or sugar both tea and coffee are absolutely disgusting to me (Stevia is barfworthy), so I'm trying to go into the colder months of the year without warm drinks. (Milk spikes me a little too much). I'm 24 hours into it and I'm hating it, I miss my herbal tea, I miss my coffee, and I have no idea whether I'll get my gut bacteria back and happy, with supplements and eating lots of sauerkraut. Or if that even was the problem to begin with, but I'm guessing it was... I was fine on keto at first, things only started to go wrong when I substituted my meals with loads of warm drinks, which didn't click until I read the article! But time'll have to tell whether I'm barking up the wrong tree here. Weird thing is, I think I'm still losing weight... But because I'm constipated the scales don't agree. So if my husband now says I'm full of sh*t, he's quite right, haha. I'd asked for tips on the forum and I tried every single one of the suggestions, to a point where I was taking magnesium, potassium, oregano oil, berries, macrogol, laxative herbs, gut bacteria, psyllium husk fibres, drinking even more, etc etc all at the same time and still... Nothing happened. (A few months ago, even looking at the jar of laxatives would've turned me into a geiser. Now I was taking all of that simultaneously and.... Nuttin'. ). But if the sweeteners were the problem I'll probably find out soon enough. Hopefully. It would explain a lot, in any case. All I do know: it MUST be something I did wrong, or something my body was predispositioned not to be able to handle. I see many people thrive on keto/IF, and it all makes sense in theory. So. I think I messed up.

As for cholesterol, as I understood it, when you're losing weight, what's stored gets released into your bloodstream, so naturally, cholesterol/lipids go up as they're being processed out. But I could be mistaken. Bodies indeed throw us curveballs! And not eating... Yeah, it would make life a whole lot easier indeed.... I rather like food, I just don't require much of it anymore. At the moment I'm not sure whether that'll agree with my gut though, cutting back down to 1 meal a day again, or fasting 24 hours or longer. (People can exist that way, it's so funny professionals often think otherwise!). But it sure made a difference in weight, BG and groceries. ;) Ah well. Time'll tell eh.

*pats other shoulder to even things out*

Balance.... Something to strive for in all things! Have a great Sunday!
Jo, She of Too Much Information

feniangirl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry about your problems. I have seen articles regarding keto & LCHF diets causing lots of problems with gut bacteria. Can't really recommend one but if you Google "Keto diet gut bacteria problems" you will find several articles. Also wanted to mention to you about sweeteners. I have found the very best - all those artificial ones gag me, even Stevia. Yuck:yuck:! On a whim, I ordered Monk fruit drops from Amazon (US), being very skeptical. The tiny little bottle arrived and I figured it wouldn't last a week, well it has and then some. It only takes three or four drops in coffee or tea and I get no disgusting after taste - no calories. I didn't get one with added Erythritol - a sugar alcohol. It's not inexpensive, but I love it it. So, if you're missing those warm drinks - treat yourself to a bottle and see what you think.:happy:

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
:hilarious: I really didn't know whether to click funny or informative, so you got a winner. Thanks for your lovely post, and sorry I didn't get back sooner. Never too much info for me. I'm not sqeemish at all, so every bit of info is useful. Now, as to your constipation ... I can recommend metformin. I've been up and about since 3AM because, well ... that certainly would be too much info :yuck: I just realised it could be down to some creamed spinach I had last night - and again a couple of hours ago, but no, I suspect it's the increased dose of metformin. It went completely haywire when I upped it to 4 x 500 mg (2 morning and 2 evening), so I lowered it back to 3 x daily (one in the evening). Anyway, a very potent laxative for me :(

Good morning!
Yeah, I lost weight on LCHF, then gained a little (5 k or so), then implemented keto, lost some more... And then started IF besides. I lost lots of weight, was very happy with it, and with my amazing BS... That's when things went sideways, really. I'm still trying to figure out what went wrong. I've had intestinal problems all my life, but something went badly wrong , and that might be because I had pre-existing problems, or because something changed. So now I'm trying to figure out which it is. I got really badly constipated, as in *weeks* without *any* BM, which resulted in -hey, you asked- hemorrhoids, rediculously excessive bleeds, diverticulitis, bloating, cramps, aggrivated IBS, and basically, a load of misery.

Ouch! I'm losing weight too, but slllowwwly. In 5 weeks I lost 100g, then suddenly -1kg. Could have to do with a number of things, but I suspect my metabolism is getting fed up with the rest of me. I won't give up, though, because it still works wonders for my BG control.

A few days ago an article was posted here about artificial sweeteners, and how they are toxic to gut bacteria... With IF I just had tea and coffee whenever I felt peckish, and every cup went with a bunch of sweeteners, because I have a huge sweet tooth. So I had about 30 to 40 of those little pills dissolved in my good, comforting drinks every day, and then I'm conservative in my guess of how many, because I always had a cup of tea beside me. So that COULD explain why things went haywire. Without sweetener or sugar both tea and coffee are absolutely disgusting to me (Stevia is barfworthy), so I'm trying to go into the colder months of the year without warm drinks. (Milk spikes me a little too much). I'm 24 hours into it and I'm hating it, I miss my herbal tea, I miss my coffee, and I have no idea whether I'll get my gut bacteria back and happy, with supplements and eating lots of sauerkraut. Or if that even was the problem to begin with, but I'm guessing it was... I was fine on keto at first, things only started to go wrong when I substituted my meals with loads of warm drinks, which didn't click until I read the article! But time'll have to tell whether I'm barking up the wrong tree here.

Or barfing up the wrong tree? Couldn't help but laugh at barfworthy :hilarious: I'm a bit like you, and love my 4 mugs of homemade chai with whipping cream every morning - and artificial sweeteners :meh: I find Stevia quite ok, though. Did you ever try the ones from Lidl? Cologran stevia tablets? They have a rounder taste and less of that liquorisy after taste than other stevia products I've ever tried, if any at all.

Weird thing is, I think I'm still losing weight... But because I'm constipated the scales don't agree. So if my husband now says I'm full of sh*t, he's quite right, haha. I'd asked for tips on the forum and I tried every single one of the suggestions, to a point where I was taking magnesium, potassium, oregano oil, berries, macrogol, laxative herbs, gut bacteria, psyllium husk fibres, drinking even more, etc etc all at the same time and still... Nothing happened. (A few months ago, even looking at the jar of laxatives would've turned me into a geiser. Now I was taking all of that simultaneously and.... Nuttin'. ). But if the sweeteners were the problem I'll probably find out soon enough. Hopefully. It would explain a lot, in any case. All I do know: it MUST be something I did wrong, or something my body was predispositioned not to be able to handle. I see many people thrive on keto/IF, and it all makes sense in theory. So. I think I messed up.

I'm completely with you. I must be doing something wrong too, because after 7 months of more than watching my carbs I'm still not a worthy candidate for that proverbial woman wears her 'before jeans' pic. In fact I'm wearing them as I type, and after losing 13-14kgs they still fit. Mind you, they are stretchy, so they must have been stretched to the very limit 7 months ago :hilarious: I haven't heard that sweeteners can make you constipated, but that doesn't mean it's not true. I have heard of, and experienced the exact opposite.

As for cholesterol, as I understood it, when you're losing weight, what's stored gets released into your bloodstream, so naturally, cholesterol/lipids go up as they're being processed out. But I could be mistaken.

Thanks. I've got a lot of argument gathering to do before my appointment with the endo doc on November 6th. I watched this wonderful documentary on statins on Youtube. Will see if I can find it and watch it again. Will take notes and prepare myself for the statin onslaught. I'm dreading it.

But it sure made a difference in weight, BG and groceries. ;) Ah well. Time'll tell eh.

*pats other shoulder to even things out*

Balance.... Something to strive for in all things! Have a great Sunday!
Jo, She of Too Much Information

So much easier on the grocery bill, and, I hope in the long run the medicine bill too. I do hope you get your digestive system sorted out.

Thanks a bunch from a much straighter briped :happy:

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just a few hours ago I was talking about Atorvastatin and the problems I had with it to someone who has been taking it having been assured that she has got early Alzheimer's and arthritis and was shutting down her life, and I described my symptoms, and she went pale and called her husband and had me tell him what I had just described to her. I told them that after stopping the statin and the Metformin I came back to normal. I think that her doctor is going to be puzzled about her reversal of another progressive disease. I asked if her parents had had Alzheimer's, and as far as she knew no one in her immediate family had it, so I was even more suspicious of the cause of her forgetfulness.
I think your results are pretty good many here would like theirs to be like that you are still in prediabetic levels and your weight loss is awesome

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
:hilarious: I really didn't know whether to click funny or informative, so you got a winner. Thanks for your lovely post, and sorry I didn't get back sooner. Never too much info for me. I'm not sqeemish at all, so every bit of info is useful. Now, as to your constipation ... I can recommend metformin. I've been up and about since 3AM because, well ... that certainly would be too much info :yuck: I just realised it could be down to some creamed spinach I had last night - and again a couple of hours ago, but no, I suspect it's the increased dose of metformin. It went completely haywire when I upped it to 4 x 500 mg (2 morning and 2 evening), so I lowered it back to 3 x daily (one in the evening). Anyway, a very potent laxative for me :(

Ouch! I'm losing weight too, but slllowwwly. In 5 weeks I lost 100g, then suddenly -1kg. Could have to do with a number of things, but I suspect my metabolism is getting fed up with the rest of me. I won't give up, though, because it still works wonders for my BG control.

Or barfing up the wrong tree? Couldn't help but laugh at barfworthy :hilarious: I'm a bit like you, and love my 4 mugs of homemade chai with whipping cream every morning - and artificial sweeteners :meh: I find Stevia quite ok, though. Did you ever try the ones from Lidl? Cologran stevia tablets? They have a rounder taste and less of that liquorisy after taste than other stevia products I've ever tried, if any at all.

I'm completely with you. I must be doing something wrong too, because after 7 months of more than watching my carbs I'm still not a worthy candidate for that proverbial woman wears her 'before jeans' pic. In fact I'm wearing them as I type, and after losing 13-14kgs they still fit. Mind you, they are stretchy, so they must have been stretched to the very limit 7 months ago :hilarious: I haven't heard that sweeteners can make you constipated, but that doesn't mean it's not true. I have heard of, and experienced the exact opposite.

Thanks. I've got a lot of argument gathering to do before my appointment with the endo doc on November 6th. I watched this wonderful documentary on statins on Youtube. Will see if I can find it and watch it again. Will take notes and prepare myself for the statin onslaught. I'm dreading it.

So much easier on the grocery bill, and, I hope in the long run the medicine bill too. I do hope you get your digestive system sorted out.

Thanks a bunch from a much straighter briped :happy:

Well, it was the sweeteners....! Everything returned to normal after a day and a half without them, adding sauerkraut to my diet as well as probiotics (I already took those, but killed them off with sweeteners immediately). Now I just have to let my insides heal some more, but everything else is all good. (There was a strong impulse to take pictures in the loo, and frame them, but I spared my husband that.) And I'll pass on the metformin, thanks...! The 2 weeks I was on it I lived in the loo. (And was as bloody with the runs then, as I was when constipated recently. My insides must really hate my guts, with all I put them through!). I don't usually go to the Lidl, as it's a bit out of the way here, and I don't know whether they'll have that stevia... They don't always carry the same brands as the UK does, here in the Netherlands, but if I am around there, I'll be sure to check, thanks! I have started on Erythritol, but I can only stomach it in my coffee. It's just not meant for my beloved chai and Earl Grey. So I've decided to only have sweeteners on the weekend, and just a tiiiiny little bit, so I can still order a cup of tea when having lunch somewhere. But that's all. By now I'm carefully getting back into keto and IF, and I'm very slowly starting to lose weight again. It does go in fits and starts, and it's slow going, but at least something is happening! And hey, I can do a long time with stretch jeans too, but I go through bra's like mad! I do hate that... My boys are shrinking, while I want my *gut* to get smaller. (Not to mention sagging b*tt syndrome) Ah well, it's in the general vicinity, I guess. But I miss them. Sacrifice I'm semi-willing to make though. But not without complaining as I do so, haha. As for statins, well.. They can perscribe all they want, they can't stand next to you every day watching you take them. And they know it. The choice is yours, no matter how much they may bully you. Statins didn't agree with me, made my rheumatism flare, but even if it hadn't.... I wanted to be as medless as possible. You decide. Not them.

Have a great day out there!
Jo