I think I cured my diabetes!

Wojciechu

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello.

Long story short, I developed steroid-induced diabetes from taking high dose prednisone for a long time. Due to that fact my doctors decided to take me off steroids. I am steroid-free for two weeks now, and I have been testing my carb tolerance lately...

I ate spaghetti, kebab, pizza etc. and my BG just can't get higher than 140 mg/dl (7,7 mmol/L) 2h after the first bite ! Okey after that big pizza and two beers I had 154 mg/dl (8,5 mmol/L) - but I just measured my BG after dinner when I ate lots of white bread....and my glucose is 105 mg/dl !!! (5,8 mmol/L).

However all is not that rosy...for my primary condition instead of prednisone I have been prescribed methotrexate, which I'm told is very hard on the liver....but I have one less thing to worry about now, right?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello.

Long story short, I developed steroid-induced diabetes from taking high dose prednisone for a long time. Due to that fact my doctors decided to take me off steroids. I am steroid-free for two weeks now, and I have been testing my carb tolerance lately...

I ate spaghetti, kebab, pizza etc. and my BG just can't get higher than 140 mg/dl (7,7 mmol/L) 2h after the first bite ! Okey after that big pizza and two beers I had 154 mg/dl (8,5 mmol/L) - but I just measured my BG after dinner when I ate lots of white bread....and my glucose is 105 mg/dl !!! (5,8 mmol/L).

However all is not that rosy...for my primary condition instead of prednisone I have been prescribed methotrexate, which I'm told is very hard on the liver....but I have one less thing to worry about now, right?

If you're coming off steroids, it seems logical your numbers would moderate - the extent would be a very personal thing.

When testing your bloods after a meal, it can be worthwhile testing after 2.5 or even 3 hours later, if the meal is very fatty, as the fat can slow down the rise. For me, pasta never produced a spike, but it would generate a bit of a rise, but the rise lasted waaaaay longer than almost anything else I ate and tested. To be honest, I was OK with that as I'd never really been a pasta fan, so I could just give it up.

Are your team arranging regular blood monitoring when on Methotrexate? That's really important, in my view.

Wojciechu

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
If you're coming off steroids, it seems logical your numbers would moderate - the extent would be a very personal thing.

When testing your bloods after a meal, it can be worthwhile testing after 2.5 or even 3 hours later, if the meal is very fatty, as the fat can slow down the rise. For me, pasta never produced a spike, but it would generate a bit of a rise, but the rise lasted waaaaay longer than almost anything else I ate and tested. To be honest, I was OK with that as I'd never really been a pasta fan, so I could just give it up.

Are your team arranging regular blood monitoring when on Methotrexate? That's really important, in my view.

Yes. I'm scheduled to have regular blood tests on Methotrexate every 2 weeks. Liver tests, bone marrow tests, hemoglobin, creatinine, white cells etc.

They say my treatment needs to last till June 2020. Then I'm gonna have CT and PET. If everything is going to be alright that would be the end of my treatment hopefully.

Reactions: DJC3

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Wojciechu

I'm pleased your numbers have reduced significantly since stopping the steroids. I do hope your condition requiring the Methotrexate settles down and for you to cease needing the treatment.

However, I'd like to just warn you that your experience with elevated blood glucose levels, recently caused by the steroids, may well return at some stage in the future without steroid therapy. I say this because I was treated with Prednisolne for Polymyalgia and the relief of the pain within only 24 hours was fantastic. Unfortunately, after being on the steroids for 3 months, by chance, I discovered my blood glucose level was 19.4 (just happened to be checked by surgery nurse at my Mum's surgery when I took her in for a review and steroids were mentioned) Needless to say, I was advised to see my GP 'pdq'. I did, and was weaned off the Prednisolone pretty quickly. I have been considered to be Diabetic T2 since.

So, may I suggest you monitor your blood glucose and consider reducing carbs and, if applicable, try to lose some weight. I would guess you may become a person with diabetes in the not-to-distant future. I hope I'm wrong, of course ;)