Muddles

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Bossy people.
I hadn't thought about having traces of jam or anything on my fingers, I can't really remember, because I was so ill with the side effects of the venlafaxine.

I have some news since my initial post however. The doctors put me on blood pressure tablets because of the high bp readings and two weeks ago I had to get another check and it was normal, I had another check the week before last and it was normal and again on Monday last week. I haven't seen the same doctor twice since all this started. The doctor I saw on Monday told me to stop the bp tablets altogether because I definately did not have high blood pressure. Infact because I didnt have high blood pressure the tablets were lowering my bp much too fast and too low. He said if they werent making me so ill, and I'd not complained I could have gone to bed one night and not woken up in the morning. Shocking malpractice by the other doctors.

He said the other doctors in the practice (he's just a locum) had been treating me for high blood pressure and diabetes when infact I didn't have them, what the other doctors were doing was treating me for the symptoms I was presenting due to the side effects of the venlafaxine and ignoring the fact that they were side effects.

He's booked another hba1c test mid May and said he wouldn't be suprised if it was normal. I'm not building my hopes up but it is encouraging. I'm still sticking to the low/no carb diet and being careful with my diet, just incase.

He also said the second hba1c test was far too soon after the first one, they were only 10-12 days apart. So the residue of the venlafaxine and it's effects on my body were still present and would affect the results.

So ever since the reaction to the venlafaxine all those weeks ago I've been receiving treatment for something I haven't got which has also been making me ill.

So things are looking brighter. I'm feeling physically and mentally much much brighter and healthy, and just going to see what the mid may tests bring.

At least all this fiasco showed my thyroid was a little low, so that's being sorted out now although after the next hba1c in may, it may show my thryoid is ok and I dont need tablets for that anymore. At least I'm losing weight. Not as fast as I'd like but at least it's going in the right direction. lol

Reactions: 2 people

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
Ah Muddles - Venlafaxine? All makes sense now! I'm sure that is a brilliant drug for many but the side effects for some are severe and still ignored by too many doctors. If I may digress a moment..

I have a friend who is on Ven. She had to increase dose for a while, and during this time came to spend a few days with us, as we live by the sea. She's been ok but suddenly complained she was feeling really rough, dizzy, aches etc. Just out of curiosity she asked if she could check her blood glucose too? (I was doing mine). Result was 2.1 and since she had had a full seaside fried breakfast a few hours before..
A banana put it up fairly quickly but we are fairly sure it was connected to the Ven. I'm very glad you are feeling better now Muddles, it's been a rough time for you. Hope you have continued good health.

Muddles

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Bossy people.
Thanks Ladybird that was very informative. The locum I saw mentioned in my post above said he would never give Ven to anyone, as the side effects list is as long as your arm. However the other doctors in the practice tend to dish it out to all and sundry whether they need it or not. The original doctor I saw who says I have high BP took no notice of the note I handed him from the paramedic that attended me the night before stating I was showing ALL the side effects from Venlafaxine, and that I was the second person he'd seen that evening with the same reaction to the same drug. The doctor merely said 'one tablet wouldn't have produced all those symptoms, you're definatley diabetic and have high blood pressure.' I could have slapped him because he just didn't listen to what I was saying or taking notice of what the paramedic had written in his note.

Anyway, this week I've had to monitor my BP for a week, as one doctor told me I definately had high BP while the locum was convinced I didnt. The results, my blood pressure is normal, and was only high probably due to the reaction to Venlafaxine and also panic/anxiety attacks. But this last week it's been totally normal. Infact, perfect for someone my age, I'm 63. So I will have great pleasure in hearing what the doctor who said I was liable to have a stroke or heart attack due to my high blood pressure, has to say about the results.

I now have to wait til the end of May for another HB1Ac test, to tell whether I am really prediabetic, diabetic or not diabetic at all.

This has proved very interesting allbeit very stressful and worrying. If the test shows I'm not diabetic or pre diabetic it tells me just how serious the changes are in our bodies when given a drug we are allergic to, but even more worrying, how some doctors treat the symptoms the reaction present as if they were true conditions and not side effects. And it's worrying to wonder how many people could be out there being treated for all sorts of things they don't have because they also had similar reactions with certain drugs.

I've been sticking on a low carb/no carb diet, which is helping me to lose weight, and hopefully will also affect the next HBA1c test results.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Gosh @Muddles - what a tale! I'm so glad that you're feeling much better, but gosh, what a dreadful experience! And I'm so sorry about the bereavements.

I have a thyroid history, and have experience of both extreme hyper- and hypothyroidism. Depression is one of the symptoms of the latter, so it might be the case that once the Levothyroxine gets going you will notice a difference in how you're feeling in general.

Hope all goes well. :)

nelibonsai

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
quacks
Thanks Ladybird that was very informative. The locum I saw mentioned in my post above said he would never give Ven to anyone, as the side effects list is as long as your arm. However the other doctors in the practice tend to dish it out to all and sundry whether they need it or not. The original doctor I saw who says I have high BP took no notice of the note I handed him from the paramedic that attended me the night before stating I was showing ALL the side effects from Venlafaxine, and that I was the second person he'd seen that evening with the same reaction to the same drug. The doctor merely said 'one tablet wouldn't have produced all those symptoms, you're definatley diabetic and have high blood pressure.' I could have slapped him because he just didn't listen to what I was saying or taking notice of what the paramedic had written in his note.

Anyway, this week I've had to monitor my BP for a week, as one doctor told me I definately had high BP while the locum was convinced I didnt. The results, my blood pressure is normal, and was only high probably due to the reaction to Venlafaxine and also panic/anxiety attacks. But this last week it's been totally normal. Infact, perfect for someone my age, I'm 63. So I will have great pleasure in hearing what the doctor who said I was liable to have a stroke or heart attack due to my high blood pressure, has to say about the results.

I now have to wait til the end of May for another HB1Ac test, to tell whether I am really prediabetic, diabetic or not diabetic at all.

This has proved very interesting allbeit very stressful and worrying. If the test shows I'm not diabetic or pre diabetic it tells me just how serious the changes are in our bodies when given a drug we are allergic to, but even more worrying, how some doctors treat the symptoms the reaction present as if they were true conditions and not side effects. And it's worrying to wonder how many people could be out there being treated for all sorts of things they don't have because they also had similar reactions with certain drugs.

I've been sticking on a low carb/no carb diet, which is helping me to lose weight, and hopefully will also affect the next HBA1c test results.
Have you tried to test few times with your new meter and what did you get? Before meal and 2 hours later and fasting in the morning.