I Tried To Ignore Headlines, But . . . . .

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
. . . . . today I failed . . . . . again.
daily_mail.750.jpg

I'm making no comments about the shakes, but notice how they call them fat free shakes. Shame they hadn't mentioned that they are also low carb shakes (various brands of these things have around 40 gms per serving). They also refer to the people these will be prescribed to eating 3,000 calories a day. Years of encouraging people to lose weight, including prescribing weight watchers, hasn't worked. What makes them think this will.

Here's a plan for the NHS, get people to eat 2,000 calories a day, they'd manage that just by cutting their carb intake.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
That old, oft used but nevertheless true, quote comes to mind. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different outcome. It is, indeed, quite sad.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well I guess it was inevitable.. I bet the Cambridge Diet Plan guys are over the moon....

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
WOW. How small is the "type 2" bit in there!!!!! Now I am going to get "why are you not on that soup and shake diet to get rid of your diabetes". Will need a new tongue soon with all the biting of it I am doing recently

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
WOW. How small is the "type 2" bit in there!!!!! Now I am going to get "why are you not on that soup and shake diet to get rid of your diabetes". Will need a new tongue soon with all the biting of it I am doing recently

That is part of the sad bit. In my opinion the parameters set for attaining remission are too high wrt a calorie restricted diet only. That, and the inference that remission once acheived will last forever and that no mention of the life-long adherence to calorie restriction is mentioned.
Apart from the fact that the uninitiated will read the headline only and come to the conclusion that all those with Diabetes (of whatever type) need only lose weight to 'cure' themselves.
Good ol' media strikes again.

Reactions: Flora123

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
That is part of the sad bit. In my opinion the parameters set for attaining remission are too high wrt a calorie restricted diet only. That, and the inference that remission once acheived will last forever and that no mention of the life-long adherence to calorie restriction is mentioned.
Apart from the fact that the uninitiated will read the headline only and come to the conclusion that all those with Diabetes (of whatever type) need only lose weight to 'cure' themselves.
The media and diabetes!!... AND there have been a few mess ups in a few TV shows with diabetes and the causes. I start swearing at the telly and my misses thinks I am now loosing the plot lol

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I agree. I have still not told anyone about my diagnosis and this won’t help me decide to do so. I am struggling to keep weight on with low carb. I can just imagine the lecture I’d get if certain family members had read this and knew about my diagnosis. I’d be a skeleton if I followed 850 calories a day! Then they’d think I was anorexic.

Last edited:
Reactions: Serena51 and zand

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Was this written too soon to be inspired by that death that wasn't one in the Ukraine?
Truth is stranger than fiction!
lol your reply is far too intelligent for me to even understand! Was there a pretend death in Ukraine? I'm going on a trip via Kiev airport soon..... :nailbiting:

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree. I have still not told anyone about my diagnosis and this won’t help me decide to do so. I am struggling to keep weight on with low carb. I can just imagine the lecture I’d get if certain family members had read this and knew about my diagnosis. I’d be a skeleton if I followed 850 calories a day! Then they’d think I was anorexic.

Flora, your comment made me feel quite sad. The fact that people feel the need to withhold telling people about their diagnosis as if we were heroin addicts or puppy drowners. I hope you reach the day when you proudly come out! ;);)

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Oh goodo. Back to people telling you that you must have “the bad type” when you tell them that no, yours can’t be cured with soup/shakes/okra enemas/sticking kale under your eyelids. :banghead:

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Would not be any good for a skinny like me I would disappear altogether on that diet. The woman in the paper who was part of the trial said she had nothing but shakes and soup for 17 weeks then she was able to introduce solids slowly She said shakes were not very nice but she used to spice up the soups so they were not bad she lost 4 stone in weight and reversed her diabetes. Would take a lot of will power I think to only have liquids for over 4 months

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Flora, your comment made me feel quite sad. The fact that people feel the need to withhold telling people about their diagnosis as if we were heroin addicts or puppy drowners. I hope you reach the day when you proudly come out! ;);)

It makes me sad too but I find people are so judgy. I’m still processing it myself but even my doctor said I didn’t look diabetic as I’m slim (in fact I’m in danger of getting too thin). My family would be ok but the in laws are all very judgy and my MIL is obsessed with low fat. I just can’t be bothered to have that conversation. Sigh.

Adding that even the news tonight about diabetes it was all about fat and obesity. That isn’t always the case and it frustrates me.

Reactions: Serena51

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Would not be any good for a skinny like me I would disappear altogether on that diet. The woman in the paper who was part of the trial said she had nothing but shakes and soup for 17 weeks then she was able to introduce solids slowly She said shakes were not very nice but she used to spice up the soups so they were not bad she lost 4 stone in weight and reversed her diabetes. Would take a lot of will power I think to only have liquids for over 4 months
Yes and a whole lot more willpower to keep the weight off after the 17 weeks.

Reactions: Flora123

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes and a whole lot more willpower to keep the weight off after the 17 weeks.
I am not very clever but can I ask if you follow this regime to reach non diabetic levels how do you maintain?