I WANT CHOCOLATE ONLY..IT'S A CRAVING.

A

Aussie3333

I have had type 1 diabetes for 59 years. I also get strong cravings for chocolate. I researched it and found several online responses that stated this: If you crave chocolate, it doesn't mean your body has a chocolate deficiency, although I think most people would prefer that. Chocolate is high in magnesium.Cravings for it often indicate that your body is deficient in magnesium, which is a common deficiency in diabetics.

I purchased some magnesium tablets and a liquid that is magnesium mixed with aloe oil that I rub onto my legs to get it directly absorbed into my cells. Then I take the magnesium tablets. After 10 minutes, my cravings stop. Magnesium works best when consumed with some potassium. I consume 3 slices of peaches before consuming the magnesium. Magnesium also affects our metabolism. So it helps us loose some weight. It contributes to new cells being made also. It is hard to obtain through our diet and food. Hope this helps.

paganlass

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
nhs. religion for the sake of it.
I don't have a craving for chocolate I've never really cared for it tbh but since being diagnosed in July this yr 2016 i have had a craving for toast. I have resisted bread, potatoes , rice and pasta. Abd my nloods have been great. But tonitebi gave in and had 3 slices with butter! Feel really guilty but surely once in a while wont kill me eh?

ChrisSamsDad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
UKIP, royalty, football, gin, goat's cheese.
Surely an alternative strategy would be to have a small amount of what you fancy (!) followed by a period of brisk exercise?
I do that! - toast and jam for breakfast, then 5km run, BG doesn't go over 7-8.

ChrisSamsDad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
UKIP, royalty, football, gin, goat's cheese.
I don't have a craving for chocolate I've never really cared for it tbh but since being diagnosed in July this yr 2016 i have had a craving for toast. I have resisted bread, potatoes , rice and pasta. Abd my nloods have been great. But tonitebi gave in and had 3 slices with butter! Feel really guilty but surely once in a while wont kill me eh?
Burgen small loaf - about 9g of carb per slice, you might be able to stretch to 3 without a bad spike.

tigerlily72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Cravings are perfectly normal but it's how we react and act on them that matters! I'm certainly guilty of eating the things I shouldn't and right now I could eat a round of hot buttered toast with marmite :hungry:.

Re: the chocolate - have you tried dark chocolate? i.e. 70% cocoa or above? The higher the cocoa content, the lower the carbs. Although, I recently tried 90% cocoa Lindt and found it really bitter so 85% is my limit!

Reactions: Prem51

Snootybutnice

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
One celebrity used to chew what he liked and then spit it out immediately (might have been Elton John) before swallowing. He got to savour the flavour without putting on weight. Of course...he wasn't diabetic but it might help??

leasider

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I find it is will power. But just in case have a small bag of Revels, Maltesers: something like that hidden away and have one. Sometimes can't find them though and have to go without. Diagnosed about 10/12 years back type2 and my nurse told me little now and again will be OK.

Reactions: Prem51
A

asparagusp

For breakfast I have organic cocoa which is made with organic cocoa powder and organic semi skimmed milk. No added sugar. It seems to work for me.

A

asparagusp

I also have read that one small piece of dark chocolate is beneficial to health.