I wish I hadn’t done it

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Away in France, transferring job, meal with a long time work chum, 18 years, a little too much wine, went for pudding... never done before.... chocolate tart, didn't even test.... a night of foot cramps followed, not sure if it was linked but the worse I think I had had in a long time.... FBG was not too bad....
Not to be repeated any time soon.
Tart was a little dry.....

welovedzig

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I’m with @Mbaker , I haven’t been tempted by anymore than two chips or a spoonful of dessert off hubby’s plate since diagnosis. I haven’t had a reading in double figures since diagnosis except after major surgery (10.2 in recovery!) I’m not a saint either.... my reason not to stray? During my nursing career I saw too many of the complications of uncontrolled diabetes, the site of gangrene can never be unseen :(
Mr. Zig's grandads feet were black and all his family had strokes, that is why I flog my ass with his diet :-(

Reactions: 1spuds

Major Buckmaster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Stuff
I’m an all or nothing kinda person, if I had the odd treat, they’d become more and more frequent. I need the discipline of not straying, bu that’s just the way I work.

I keep a packet of rolos. But my son hides them for me so I’m only allowed the odd one lol.
But for me that works because I know it’s just a taste. I can control that.

M

Member496333

I’m an all or nothing kinda person, if I had the odd treat, they’d become more and more frequent. I need the discipline of not straying, bu that’s just the way I work.

I’m the same now. Well, in a sense. I treat myself every day by enjoying delicious food that’s optimal for my health and leaves me fulfilled, but that wasn’t always the case. I definitely made the odd ballsup earlier in my diabetes career :D

WackyJacky64

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
I had my tea low carb with minced pork and onions and butter on top , two hours later 7.4 , I'm very pleased with this . It's the carbs for sure.
I'm just not feeling well with a virus so that can spike us too and i didn't help by eating those NICE biscuits and cheescake.
Back to normal tomorrow . I've been getting up to 6.5 and lowest was 5.9 until I got ill this week .

1spuds

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I saw too many of the complications of uncontrolled diabetes, the site of gangrene can never be unseen :(
Same here.Made controlling this,and a new lifestyle a super easy choice for me.I did a low carb ice cream test and I dont think I will even bother with it again.Very anti-climatic.Im now loving plain Greek yogurt with berries added,much better taste IMO now.Yay new palate! :)

Last edited:

Vidar

I'm new, diagnosed 2 weeks ago and don't self test yet as the thought of more pokes and prods after the year I've had is just too much for me.

My opinion is don't beat yourself up for the odd slip up, you're human at the end of the day. We all like things that are bad for us.

Me personally I've been planning a salt & pepper chicken with fried rice take away for a fathers day treat (Also to mark the anniversary of me getting savagely attacked at work and having my leg broke in 12 places)

If I do go through with it, I'm leaning towards not atm, then that will be the only bad thing I have this month.

poemagraphic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
WIFI, Mobile phones. Smart metres... in fact anything 'smart'
I like you Rach made the decision to just not go there. I have said on another thread that I am an all or nothing kind of guy.
For me it is far easier to just say no. I sit eating my steak and quinoa salad, while the whole family on the next table gorge themselves on a huge double burger stack with onion rings, massive plate of chips etc. followed by a banana and chocolate split all washed down by 3 pints of bear each (well apart from the two kids who had gallons of full fat coke).

I felt smug! Yep! I honestly did.

I remember all too well the feelings walking out of the pub or restaurant in the past, after consuming exactly that same meal.
Never again!!!
Po

Last edited:
Reactions: 1spuds

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm new, diagnosed 2 weeks ago and don't self test yet as the thought of more pokes and prods after the year I've had is just too much for me.

My opinion is don't beat yourself up for the odd slip up, you're human at the end of the day. We all like things that are bad for us.

Me personally I've been planning a salt & pepper chicken with fried rice take away for a fathers day treat (Also to mark the anniversary of me getting savagely attacked at work and having my leg broke in 12 places)

If I do go through with it, I'm leaning towards not atm, then that will be the only bad thing I have this month.

Vidar, as you are reading on this thread there are widely spread views on "treats" within the population here. Each person has to decide for themselves how they will manage.

Some feel, if they don't have the odd "treat" they'll eventually blow out, and others feel if the do have the odd treat, it'll instill more treats and to an extent craving.

I have read so many times of folks looking forward to their periodic HbA1cs, because on that day/evening, they can have a cake, chips, or whatever their forbidden fruit is. For me, I think why do that, having striven to be sensible for weeks, then take a blood sugar hit for the sake of it.

I must admit I'm in a comfortable place with my way of eating, so it's all very easy for me to say, but it's probably worth just being clear with yourself what that salt and pepper chicken with rice is going to do for you.

Major Buckmaster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Stuff
I like you Rach made the decision to just not go there. I have said on another thread that I am an all or nothing kind of guy.
For me it is far easier to just say no. I sit eating my steak and quinoa salad, while the whole family on the next table gorge themselves on a huge double burger stack with onion rings, massive plate of chips etc. followed by a banana and chocolate split all washed down by 3 pints of bear each (well apart from the two kids who had gallons of full fat coke).

I felt smug! Yep! I honestly did.

I remember all too well the feelings walking out of the pub or restaurant in the past, after consuming exactly that same meal.
Never again!!!
Po

Isn’t quinoa high carb?

poemagraphic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
WIFI, Mobile phones. Smart metres... in fact anything 'smart'
Isn’t quinoa high carb?
Compared to what? The amount is around a quarter of a cup, which equates to around 8g of carbs.
Technically Major you are 100% correct. Quinoa is considered high carb.
However it brings the whole meal in under 10g. Which for my main meal I am happy with.
Po

Vidar

Vidar, as you are reading on this thread there are widely spread views on "treats" within the population here. Each person has to decide for themselves how they will manage.

Some feel, if they don't have the odd "treat" they'll eventually blow out, and others feel if the do have the odd treat, it'll instill more treats and to an extent craving.

I have read so many times of folks looking forward to their periodic HbA1cs, because on that day/evening, they can have a cake, chips, or whatever their forbidden fruit is. For me, I think why do that, having striven to be sensible for weeks, then take a blood sugar hit for the sake of it.

I must admit I'm in a comfortable place with my way of eating, so it's all very easy for me to say, but it's probably worth just being clear with yourself what that salt and pepper chicken with rice is going to do for you.
To be honest the more and more I've thought about it the more I've come to think of it as just more poison. At this stage I can't see me eating one ever again. But that's just me.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
To be honest the more and more I've thought about it the more I've come to think of it as just more poison. At this stage I can't see me eating one ever again. But that's just me.

To be honest, I'd never view any food as poison, especially as my OH still eats his carbs at will. I would never consider referring to anything I, he or anyone else prepared, unless it had obvious mould, or whatever on it, and that wasn't meant to be.

We all make our choices, but my rationale is more on why work for weeks to wrangle bloods into a good place, then immediately do something that will effectively reverse that trend (albeing a one-off would have minimal impact, in reality). I'd rather concentrate on finding a way I enjoy eating and just carry on with it.

Gaffer type 1

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Food lol
I decided to experiment today and had a half portion of scampi and chips with peas for lunch at the pub. Pre meal my BG was 5 and I have been testing every hour since.
After 1hr, 7.5
2hrs, 7.4
3hrs 7.1

Needless to say, I won’t be doing that again! The worst of it is, I didn’t particularly enjoy it either!

Has anyone else been tempted to go “off piste” just to see what happens?

My God if I had that meal my bg would be considerably higher so you pm were lucky