Ice Cream Makers

Hedonista

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Now it's sunny I'm craving ice cream, and given the lovely Coyo stuff is seven quid a shot, I've been wondering about making it.

Can anyone tell me, does your average ice cream maker work with coconut or only dairy? (I'd like to be able to do both).
And - any recommendations for good machines?

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I make home made ice cream using a good mixer (My children treated me to a KitchenAid stand mixer for my fiftieth) and the freezer. I havn't experimented with alternatives re ingredients, though.

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
We bought this one a couple of months ago and it works just fine. We just put the freezer bowl in our freezer over night. You can pay more (much more) for one with a built-in freezer that might involve a bit less mesing about, but we're pleased with this one. So far we've made Early Grey floured ice cream and at present have choca-mocca that we made last week sitting in the freezer.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0735BVJFJ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Now it's sunny I'm craving ice cream, and given the lovely Coyo stuff is seven quid a shot, I've been wondering about making it.

Can anyone tell me, does your average ice cream maker work with coconut or only dairy? (I'd like to be able to do both).

There are lots of low carb, no churn coconut ice cream recipes out there, if Dr Google is your friend:

https://www.ditchthecarbs.com/sugar_free_coconut_ice_cream/

Nigella does some fabulous no churn ice creams, but they usually also have copious alcohol in them. (The ones I made were not low carb though.)

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We bought this one a couple of months ago and it works just fine. We just put the freezer bowl in our freezer over night. You can pay more (much more) for one with a built-in freezer that might involve a bit less mesing about, but we're pleased with this one. So far we've made Early Grey floured ice cream and at present have choca-mocca that we made last week sitting in the freezer.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0735BVJFJ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Gosh, that's a FAB price on it.

@Hedonista - Lakeland do a small machine too.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I’ve just put the howl of my maker in the freezer ready to make a chocolate coconut ice cream tomorrow. Coconut cream, soya cream (I’d use goat double cream but I’m testing it on a vegan friend, so no eggs either, I might use a little custard powder instead), and cacao powder with a little grated 81% chocolate and roasted desiccated coconut.

Hedonista

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks all - I'm going to try a couple of no-churn recipes before I decide whether to buy one x

malcs90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

We bought one from Aldi several years ago and have also seen them in Lidl. The ice cream you make actually contain cream and no additives unlike commercial ice cream and it must be good because the grandchildren love it.

Scimama

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I blitz up some frozen berries with double cream and it makes an "ice cream" often add some 85% dark chocolate to make it even yummier. very quick and instant ice cream fix :)

Reactions: LidiaS