Icecream Cornet

helliebean

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi, i wonder if anyone can advise? I am going on holiday down to lovely Dorset soon, and ever hoping its going to be warm..(and i have been Type 2 for about a year)..im wondering, how do Iceream Cornets (minus sauce and flake) fair? Im thinking they must be full of sugar and a no no..i can happily stick to the low carbs diet..and doing better than i thought i would..but have yet to be on a beach on a lovely warm day, and no icecream? Any holiday advice would be great, but primarily to icecream cone or not to cone..thats the question..thanks in advance..

Reactions: 2 people

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
@helliebean - I live in York and Scarborough, Filey, Whitby are less than an hour away, I eat Fish, Chips & Mushy Peas and have an ice cream with a flake - when going to the coast for a day out. It's a treat and I enjoy it. If in doubt you could use your meter and test 2 hours later after eating an ice cream and be guided by the result.:)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I always have an ice cream or two on holiday. We have to have a life or we may as well stay in bed all day. My advice would be not to test it. It will spike you, that's for sure, but do you really want to know by how much? That is up to you. It's only unwise if you have one every day when you get back home! Relax and enjoy.

(PS if it makes you feel guilty, have a tub rather than a cornet.)

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ice cream doesn't spike me but we're all different. I don't have it very often but have tested a number of times so you may be fortunate.

poshtotty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I live in Dorset and the local ice-cream here is amaze-balls! I very occasionally eat the Mr Whippy ones and they don't cause me to spike, which I put down to the high fat/cream content.

Most of the damage is in the biscuit cone so I have adopted one of my mother-in-law's habits of never eating the cone. She used to eat the ice cream and give her untouched cone to my children or throw it to the seagulls!

I hope you enjoy your holiday and your ice-creams :):)

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I went with some service users to an Ice Cream parlar last year , it was a treat for them...so had an ice cream which they said was sugar free it spiked my levels though so the next time we went I had a coffee.... so I guess it was the cone I had then, never thought about that :arghh:

Munkki

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had a traditional, baked cheesecake with my father just before his birthday. It was the healthiest choice from a bakery and did not spike me a lot, and I am so happy I 'broke' my eating rules for this occasion. It was definitely worth it. However, I ended up making other exceptions here and there over the Easter holidays. Back home I spent a week really low-carb to feel better and get back into shape.

Pollylocks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not many.
I do a mixture of both at home. Askey's cornets from Asda, sugar free. Make a cheesecake mix with equal amounts of mascarpone and Philly or similar, stir in a few sprinkles of Stevia Sweetener Granules [Asda again] and add whatever flavouring you like. I put the mix in the cornets [but not too much, quite rich], which have a flat base so can serve them as a dessert.

helliebean

Type of diabetes
Type 2
A big big thankyou to everyone for all the excellent replies to my query. I really do appreciate all the info..best wishes..Helen x

helliebean

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I live in Dorset and the local ice-cream here is amaze-balls! I very occasionally eat the Mr Whippy ones and they don't cause me to spike, which I put down to the high fat/cream content.

Most of the damage is in the biscuit cone so I have adopted one of my mother-in-law's habits of never eating the cone. She used to eat the ice cream and give her untouched cone to my children or throw it to the seagulls!

I hope you enjoy your holiday and your ice-creams :):)
Aww thankyou so much, i cannot wait to get back down to pretty Poole and trying the yummy icecream..Helen x

Mr Xu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

I occupy myself with developing ice cream recipes that are suitable for diabetics. And In a normal recipe of mine the only carbohydrates come from dairy cream. Should enough people be interested I will start a site with several recipes with low or very low amounts of carbohydrates in the finished ice cream. As sugar is normally a very important ingredient in ice creams it takes a bit more than just replacing the sugar with a sweetener.

Stefan

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Real icecream is eggs and cream, made into a custard and chilled - it has no great impact on diabetics, but most people require it to be sweetened as that is the modern diet.
A little alcohol can help to soften the texture if it is to be kept for any length of time - I tend to eat mine as soon as it is ready.

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
I have ice cream even at home occasionally after dinner. I restrict the portion size to only 60g full fat and with very few carbs at dinner. I handle it pretty well. I go up a little higher than normal but not much. The high fat content helps I think.

Glenn

Reactions: Liam1955

paulus1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
your all very wicked. go stand in a corner. and i will take them away. weres the flake