Iceland Trip!

ohmylex

this october i’m going to iceland on a school trip, and it’ll be my first time on a plane and in a foreign country as a diabetic, plus i won’t have any family to look out for me, and none of my close friends are going!

any travel advice?

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
I take it you're T1 ... just enjoy the experience, take your supplies (the plane ride more than likely to be a jet and I trust direct, not via another port) have your teachers look after you thru security and at that time of year, have a really warm coat

Reactions: ohmylex

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Make sure you take your supplies with you as a carry on. And double what you think you might need in case something happens. Make sure you check before you get on the plane that you have collected everything through security etc.

You also might check if you need a letter saying you are diabetic and need certain supplies, every country can be different on the requirements.

And then have fun!!!!

copilost

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm Type2 but travel quite a lot so some suggestions would be:

Write a list of your required medications for travel (for yourself :))
If you forget everything else you need: money, ticket, passport and medications (mobile if you must:)). The rest can be sorted if you forget it! Make sure you fill in emergency contact in your passport. Have a photocopy of your passport (or picture on mobile etc), leave a copy with your family (in case of loss while away).
Get a small pocket bag for your medications (clear is useful) for hand luggage.
Have a copy of your regular medication prescription, this is useful for security but also if your medications run out/ get lost/stolen while you are away.
Keep medications in original medication packaging if possible (or just have the information leaflet if not).
Carry in your hand luggage enough to get you through a few days (as much as possible really). Certainly more than travel duration time in case of delays or lost luggage (see below).
Put additional medication in your check in luggage (the one that you get separated from, sometimes for longer than you thought), check however that medications can withstand temperature changes.
Always take supplies for longer than your planned trip, delays happen, life happens.
Take teabags (but that might just be me).

Don't know if you need a letter from your doctor (I haven't, but not type 1) but it can't hurt.

Get travel insurance.

To manage separation anxieties agree a specific time in advance to contact your family.

Sort out mobile connections in advance if possible, most accommodation provides free wifi but it's not always reliable.

Airport security people are highly trained and professional but some are less experienced than others. They will have been trained to expect travellers with medications and should be able to deal with this very easily. That said, security can be a bit stressful for everyone involved so go through with a teacher directly behind you who can assist if confusion occurs.

Have a lovely time, Iceland is awesome. There's a place you can visit where you can place one hand on the american continent and one on the european continent, at the same time! Whales! Icelandic people are really friendly and have a great (if sometimes odd, sense of humour). Fish and chips.........

Reactions: ohmylex and 1spuds

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Get your medical team to write a letter. Never once been looked at in my case but it’s ready if needed. Don’t put anything diabetes related in the bag that goes in the hold. Most airlines will allow an extra carry on bag for medication and supplies. Get the school staff to deal with that side. Have plenty of hypo treatment with you that is not liquid. Dextrose, jelly babies etc. Iceland is expensive. It will be cool not hot obviously. Remember to store your insulin where it will not be too cold.
Have a fabulous time, I went on a school trip there about 7 years ago but as a staff member. It is an amazing place.

D

Deleted Account

Great advice above.
The only thing I would add is that airport security are familiar with diabetes so nothing to worry about there.
Have an amazing trip.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I hope you have wonderful trip it will be a fantastic experience.
Keep your medication with you in hand luggage, have a list of your medication, I know people take their prescription's with them, check and check again that you have everything you need and above all .......
Have Fun :)

Reactions: Marie 2 and ohmylex

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Iceland is an amazing country - but also very wet, so take really good waterproof clothes!

All insulin etc in your hand luggage. Get yourself a medical alert bracelet and make sure whoever is the travel insurance company for the trip knows in advance you have T1d.