If diet is the same, what can cause a bg rise?

Guna108

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi.
My bg had gone from 9.5 to 5.6 at my first HbA1C check at the end of August I have kept my diet the same , so stopped testing my bg regularly. Over the last few days I noticed a lot of tingling in my hands and feet and some bad headaches so I tested my b.g and it was 6.5 fasting in the morning and then 7.5 two hours after eating my usual dinner (steamed broccoli/kale and tofu -under 250 calories) I have been under a lot of stress with the new management at work and Ofsted this week, so could stress cause this rise? I also had 4 evenings where I ate 4 squares of Chocologic dark choc- it doesn't have sugar and the carbs looked low ,o I am not sure , but this could have caused the rise. I was down to 6.1 last night, but don't want a repeat. Any ideas what it could have been or tips on what to do? I feel more tired than normal today.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Someone on here once said to me when I had said I had changed nothing, that maybe I just just worn the wrong colour socks, that has always stuck with me and I use it frequently.
Diabetes does what it wants when it wants. We can do everything we can but st the end of the day it will do what it pleases with no consideration to our efforts and logic.

Sometimes you just put the wrong colour socks on

Last edited:

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Stress can absolutely affect blood sugars, it does mine at least. Here’s a graph of my daily average blood sugars for a week earlier this month. I was told some potentially worrying news on the evening of the Tuesday. My mind was put at rest on the Friday evening

B4CBE692-C970-428F-8477-64AF13004DB9.jpeg

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Stress is a very common reason for higher bg. And then there are countless other reasons that are hard to pinpoint. below are a couple listed. (The ones having to do with insulin don't apply to you, but there are still a lot of reasons left when you ignore the insulin ones.) And the socks of course.
Slide1%20(2).png

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
I agree with the stress. Yesterday while I was busting around doing everything I had taken off ring and watch and bracelet to wash up. By10pm when I was going to bed I realised I couldn’t find the bracelet and I was beyond distressed. ( I should add my emotions are shot to pieces this week apparently to diabetes) but I couldn’t stop crying. I had bought the bracelet to mark my 1 year anniversary as being diabetic and too be honest it was quite expensive for me. I hadn’t realised it meant so much but I was distraught, eventually found it but in the meantime my sugars had gone up to 9. Which isn’t high and it wasn’t overly stressful given not life or death but to me it was hellish ( at the moment doesn’t take much to be honest). I haven’t hit the 9s in a long time so can only assume it was this

angustia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi.
My bg had gone from 9.5 to 5.6 at my first HbA1C check at the end of August I have kept my diet the same , so stopped testing my bg regularly. Over the last few days I noticed a lot of tingling in my hands and feet and some bad headaches so I tested my b.g and it was 6.5 fasting in the morning and then 7.5 two hours after eating my usual dinner (steamed broccoli/kale and tofu -under 250 calories) I have been under a lot of stress with the new management at work and Ofsted this week, so could stress cause this rise? I also had 4 evenings where I ate 4 squares of Chocologic dark choc- it doesn't have sugar and the carbs looked low ,o I am not sure , but this could have caused the rise. I was down to 6.1 last night, but don't want a repeat. Any ideas what it could have been or tips on what to do? I feel more tired than normal today.

I'm confused. As I understand, the target range is between 5 - 10 mmol, 2 hours after eating.
How can 7.5 be considered high?

What are you folks aiming for?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm confused. As I understand, the target range is between 5 - 10 mmol, 2 hours after eating.

Here are the target ranges according to this website:
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/blood-sugar-level-ranges.html
As we get better as individuals we may well adjust our own targets downwards. As you are new to all of this, try not to compare yourself to others who have been on this journey longer. So long as your numbers are reducing from where they were you’re doing well :)

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes

Usually it’s to aim no more than 2 points higher than when you started, so I guess it depends on what the starting level was. Also 7.t isn’t high but for some people who have managed for a king time they may have lower levels so for them 7.5 is seen as high. It’s all relative.

When I got diagnosed last year 7.5 was very low for me. Now I feel like it’s a tad on the high side because I can sit around the 4 to 5 a lot of the time,

It’s all relative and unique to each individual. Again when I was diagnosed 10 was fine but now a year in it’s not. As you get a lot better managed your levels drop but they do take time and time to get used to them

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I like to be sub 5.5 at all times. Manage it about 90% of the time unless sickening for something.