If you eat something and it spikes your blood within an hour...

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Did you test after 3 hours? I had a similar spike yesterday after chicken, chips (more than I would normally have) and curry sauce for tea - didn’t test before but at 1 hour 9.9 however after 2 hours I was back to 6.7 and down to 5.6 at the 3 hour point which, considering the number of carbs I had, is not too bad and I’m happy with.
The other point that goes with this, is that proteins take longer to digest and these can bring a bump sometime after. I do tests at 2 hrPP and then at 4hrPP and I get surprise bumps aftera meal with a lot of fats and protein in it. This is known generally as the Pizza Effect, and is more of interest to insulin users who need to make adjustments for protein content as well as carbs. I believe the ratio of 50% of protein converts to glucose, but would not swear on that, This is also more of a factor when on low carb intake where protein effects become more dominant.

Starfish18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Did you test after 3 hours? I had a similar spike yesterday after chicken, chips (more than I would normally have) and curry sauce for tea - didn’t test before but at 1 hour 9.9 however after 2 hours I was back to 6.7 and down to 5.6 at the 3 hour point which, considering the number of carbs I had, is not too bad and I’m happy with.
No I didn't unfortunately

enb54

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm with you all the way on scratchings. I keep a bag in the car for long journeys and snack on them if dinner is too far off. I haven't found a firm favourite yet, but I can't bear the puffed-up deep fried ones. Is it a regional thing or is there a national favourite?
Well folks, had never even heard of "scratchings" until this forum and had to look them up, just plain old pork rinds, which we sometimes take canoeing...
Frito_Lay_Baken_Ets.JPG

Reactions: lovinglife

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Current American Presidents.
Well folks, had never even heard of "scratchings" until this forum and had to look them up, just plain old pork rinds, which we sometimes take canoeing...
View attachment 32453
Plain?
Old??
I'll have you know there is a very complicated process involved which takes pork skin, and under the cover of a top-secret procedure of dehydrating, frying, drying and salting renders it completely inedible...

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Plain?
Old??
I'll have you know there is a very complicated process involved which takes pork skin, and under the cover of a top-secret procedure of dehydrating, frying, drying and salting renders it completely inedible...

and breaks your teeth :arghh:

enb54

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
All this talk prompted me to go shopping for a few bags of "scratchings" yesterday, and to my surprise I just realized after gnawing down a half sack last night that I forgot to take my blood glucose, hence perhaps my higher than normal FBG this morning (6.1 instead of appx 5.5).

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
View attachment 32453
So far as I am aware Pork Rinds are more like the puffed up ones that most here don't like (me included) proper pork scratchings have the fat still attached to the skin and I find are really hard to make at home.

enb54

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So far as I am aware Pork Rinds are more like the puffed up ones that most here don't like (me included) proper pork scratchings have the fat still attached to the skin and I find are really hard to make at home.
Yes they are puffed up ones, so they are not the real thing? Just a shadow of their glorious forebears? I am sooo disappointed...

enb54

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Here is useless fact #75...
I was talking to a friend about these "pork rinds" and right away he said "chicharrones!". I asked ? and was directed to internet search for them whereupon I discovered there is a whole culture based on cooking, flavouring and eating them, typically like this one... https://alldayidreamaboutfood.com/homemade-chicharrones-pork-rinds-low-carb-and-gluten-free/ . Who'd a' thunk?

PS... Check out those YouTube videos!

Last edited: