If you eat something and it spikes your blood within an hour...

Starfish18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
...but at 2 hours your blood is coming back down is that something ok to keep eating or not?

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
How high was the spike, what was the reading after 2 hours ?. The upper limit for a spike is considered to be 2 m moles/ or 36 mg/dl

Reactions: Starfish18

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It depends where I start - how big the spike - where I finish soooo....

Start at 4.5 1hr 7 2hr 6 or lower - would be happy with that

Start at 6 1hr 8 2hr 7 - would be less happy and would probably avoid because of the 8 spike - I like to stay below 7.5 - if I was 6 before a meal I would probably drop the carbs even more than the 8g Per main meal (2g for breakfast) allow myself at the moment and add some fat to satisfy hunger

M

Member496333

If by spike, you mean out of range, then my answer would be no, but not everyone has the same expectations, and only you know what you’re willing to accept.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
It would definitely cause me to reconsider the quantity of carbs eaten and the types - I find that some foods such as legumes 'punch above their weight'.
I do eat peas but only a small amount - simply as they are the only vegetable my husband will eat so I make them all the time.
Watching trends was a great help in the first weeks, rather than individual meals.

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
It's too high for me I want to get my levels lower
I am very sensitive to carbohydrate intake. I am currently getting significant BG reductions by limiting them to below 20 grams/day. For me thats what works, so thats what I am doing for now ie I have little choice . Also found that the lowest possible intake of carbs at breakfast is the best, I currently eat about 4 grams at this meal. At my second meal I can eat about 12 grams of carbs and if need be I will reduce them as well.

Starfish18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am very sensitive to carbohydrate intake. I am currently getting significant BG reductions by limiting them to below 20 grams/day. For me thats what works, so thats what I am doing for now ie I have little choice . Also found that the lowest possible intake of carbs at breakfast is the best, I currently eat about 4 grams at this meal. At my second meal I can eat about 12 grams of carbs and if need be I will reduce them as well.
I prefer not to eat too many carbs Though I don't count them. carbs scare me atm I hate my blood rising even when it's not a spike I know even a non diabetics blood can rise though with carbs

Reactions: Pasha

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I prefer not to eat too many carbs Though I don't count them. carbs scare me atm I hate my blood rising even when it's not a spike I know even a non diabetics blood can rise though with carbs

If you dont count you will not be able to properly interpret your results ie you need to know type and amount and relate these to your BG and times after the first bite.Otherwise IMHO you can run around in circles and progress will be very slow.[ I have been there and done that in the past ]

Starfish18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you dont count you will not be able to properly interpret your results ie you need to know type and amount and relate these to your BG and times after the first bite.Otherwise IMHO you can run around in circles and progress will be very slow.[ I have been there and done that in the past ]
OK, thank you I'll bare that in mind

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Many of us find that our sensitivity to carbs vary throughout the day. I can tolerate them better in the evening, and not too bad in the morning but worst from lunch to evening meal. So one test may give the impression that a food is ok to eat, but may have worse effect at another time of day. Also this is for a food item tested on its own without others since things like fat or oil can make a huge difference in timing. (example a salad with or without olive oil drizzle)

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Current American Presidents.

So what did you eat??
Chocolate cake? Ice-cream? Chocolate cake with ice-cream??
I'm dying to know what was so bad. ;)

Starfish18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So what did you eat??
Chocolate cake? Ice-cream? Chocolate cake with ice-cream??
I'm dying to know what was so bad. ;)
Nah, nothing like that, I stupidly ate a cheese sandwich 6 x cherry tomatoes and a pack of pork scratchings.it was obviously the bread they did it.it was the Hovis lower carb bread but obviously still too many carbs for me to handle.

Reactions: jjraak

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was 5.9 before food and 8.1 an hour later
7.6 2 hours later.
You were less than 2.00ml after two hours so dont sweat. You might have been lucky this time as a sandwich would be a risky meal however if everyone T2 stuck to less than a 2.00 ml rise 2 hours after a meal then IMO they are doing OK.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
7.6 2 hours later.

It isn't the 8.1 at an hour that is very drastic, but the 7.6 at 2 hours is not something I would be happy with. Anything above 7 at any time after eating is a no-no for me.

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Current American Presidents.
Nah, nothing like that, I stupidly ate a cheese sandwich 6 x cherry tomatoes and a pack of pork scratchings.it was obviously the bread they did it.it was the Hovis lower carb bread but obviously still too many carbs for me to handle.
I'm with you all the way on scratchings. I keep a bag in the car for long journeys and snack on them if dinner is too far off. I haven't found a firm favourite yet, but I can't bear the puffed-up deep fried ones. Is it a regional thing or is there a national favourite?

Starfish18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm with you all the way on scratchings. I keep a bag in the car for long journeys and snack on them if dinner is too far off. I haven't found a firm favourite yet, but I can't bear the puffed-up deep fried ones. Is it a regional thing or is there a national favourite?
I don't like the puffed up ones either

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
7.6 2 hours later.
Did you test after 3 hours? I had a similar spike yesterday after chicken, chips (more than I would normally have) and curry sauce for tea - didn’t test before but at 1 hour 9.9 however after 2 hours I was back to 6.7 and down to 5.6 at the 3 hour point which, considering the number of carbs I had, is not too bad and I’m happy with.