Type 1 If you forget to take your basal...

danielcvs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sometimes I just fall asleep at night and I forget to take my Lantus. I always take it at bed time. If I forget to take it one night I usually take half the dosage in the morning and again half the dosage at night. But the night dosage may not be sufficient then. Any advice? Thanks.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
perhaps set a daily alarm on your phone at 10pm to assist in remembering

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
When I was on MDI, I used to leave something on my BS meter so that when I went to test my BS before bed, I'd see it and remember my long acting insulin. After a while, just seeing my meter at bedtime triggered a "Need to do my basal" alert in my brain even without having something there as a reminder.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Sometimes I just fall asleep at night and I forget to take my Lantus. I always take it at bed time. If I forget to take it one night I usually take half the dosage in the morning and again half the dosage at night. But the night dosage may not be sufficient then. Any advice? Thanks.

Why don't you change your basal insulin timing if you find it hard to remember on a night and fall asleep, you could take it on a morning, lunch or early evening? Lantus can be injected any-time of the day, I use to take it before bed then starting to inject it early evening around the same time that I had my evening meal.

With regards to forgetting a basal dose before bed, my DSN told me to to take half the dose the following morning and just inject the full dose on the night, pointing out that they'd be a slight overlap so checking bg levels in the early hours was advisable.

danielcvs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Why don't you change your basal insulin timing if you find it hard to remember on a night and fall asleep, you could take it on a morning, lunch or early evening? Lantus can be injected any-time of the day, I use to take it before bed then starting to inject it early evening around the same time that I had my evening meal.

With regards to forgetting a basal dose before bed, my DSN told me to to take half the dose the following morning and just inject the full dose on the night, pointing out that they'd be a slight overlap so checking bg levels in the early hours was advisable.

That makes a lot of sense but, as you say, they will overlap and so I shouldn't take the same amount the next evening, right? Thanks.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
That makes a lot of sense but, as you say, they will overlap and so I shouldn't take the same amount the next evening, right? Thanks.

Leave that decision up to you @danielcvs, but consider changing your basal dose to a time where you'll least forget.