1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

If you were to walk into McDonalds...

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Spencer67, Feb 20, 2015.

1. NicoleC1971

NicoleC1971 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Very personal thing the insulin ratio.
    Other things change the dose too such as the fat/carb ratio.
    Anyway I'd skip the burger bun and chips and go for a dirty great bacon burger with cheese instead! No counting and a minimal dose to account for the ketchup and protein.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

Hi, I couldn't eat the bagel, but hypothetically, depending if I were active afterwards, then probably 3 / 4 units or sitting for a length of time. 4.5 / 5 units. I too take NovoRapid.

3. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

I have had a coffee from Macdonalds, also Burger king and both very nice.

4. MarkMunday

MarkMunday Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I had a takeaway bunless burger for the first time last night. It had extra salad and was a good meal with no bolusing hassles.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Ushthetaff

Ushthetaff Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I guess if I did go to Mac Donald’s ( would definitely be a // allel universe) would depend on what my bs was before I ate , under normal situation it would be 6 units of Novorapid for me but seeing as we are in a hypothetical scenario I’d take 9 units and pig out on an ice cream or even a donut, or even both . I go to BK about twice a year and eat their spicy bean burgers normal x2 .
    Stay safe
    “ stick them with the pointy end “

• Like Like x 1
  6. GINsulinJunkie

GINsulinJunkie Type 1 · Member

Had my first McFlurry since diagnosis not long ago:hungry:...was pleasantly surprised when I didn't spike at all!...barely perceptible rise and then back to normal! :happy:

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. Goma5

Goma5 Type 1 · Member

Depending on the queue, i would inject prior to ordering to be honest, to give 10-15 for the insulin to start working. I would think that the bagel / added sugar etc.. would be quite fast release.

for 55g, i'd inject 4 units based on a ratio of 10/15 : 1 (honeymoon, so keeps changing a bit).

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook