IFG only?

Glink

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello friends,
Do any others here only show impaired fasting glucose, but pass the oral glucose tolerance test and have okay HbA1c #s? I have found few recommendations specific to this situation, and am wondering what any others in this boat are doing to try to manage their prediabetes?
Thanks!

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
If you get rid of the obvious sugars in your diet and lower your carbs some you will probably do very well. Nothing radical, just eat half the starch and twice the veg and it will help.

Glink

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@chalup Are you in this same situation, and you found general carb reduction substantially impacted your FBG? (If so, I'm envious!)

I have been eating LCHF for over a year and while my HbA1c is normal my fasting #s have slowly been rising. Other causes (e.g., cortisol problems) have been ruled out. Trying to learn what strategies specific to fasting #s have worked for others with this problem. So far I have tried snacking before bed, not eating dinner, and eating raw corn starch (super gross) before bed. Wondering about moving the timing of my metformin or other ideas.

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
No I am afraid I am not pre-diabetic, I am over the top full blown diabetic. LCHF has significantly reduced all my numbers however from an A1c of 10.4 to 6.7 and I expect my next one in october to be in the 5's. I eat less than 20gram per day and I also take metformin and forxiga. 11 years ago however when first diagnosed, low carb was enough to put me immediately into non diabetic numbers. My present state of health has a lot to do with being told I was cured and believing it. I stopped testing and stopped low carbing and it got me where I am. Fasting numbers are the hardest to control and your problem is likely to be dawn phenomenon which affects D and non D alike. For a lot of people this is the highest number of the day including me. It sounds like you are doing everything right to stop the progression to D and as long as you remain mindful you will have a good chance of never crossing that line.

Glink

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well, if anyone has had success in finding a way to lower your FBG, other than the general prediabetes advice, I would love to hear what worked for you. Despite diet and exercise and metformin, my fasting #s are crossing over into those that would qualify me for a diabetes diagnosis and I'd really like to stop that if it's possible.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My fasting glucose finally normalised (after 4.5 years of eating LCHF) by reducing my meals to 2 a day (eating the same amount of calories) and eating within a 6-8 hour window.

kesun

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello friends,
Do any others here only show impaired fasting glucose, but pass the oral glucose tolerance test and have okay HbA1c #s? I have found few recommendations specific to this situation, and am wondering what any others in this boat are doing to try to manage their prediabetes?
Thanks!
That was the position I used to be in, and after several years I was referred to a consultant who said that IFG with normal OGTT results indicates a problem with insulin production (like T1) rather than glucose resistance (like T2). He tested for two things: MODY 2 (also called GCK-MODY or glucokinase monogenic diabetes) and MELAS and MIDD, two forms of mitochondrial diabetes.

MODY 2 is a mild form of IFG characterised by failing fasting glucose tests then acing OGT tests. It is usually non-progressive.

Mitochondrial diabetes is what I turned out to have. Mine involves a very slow deterioration in insulin production, which so far has been treatable by LCHF but will eventually need insulin. One of its features is a deficiency of co-enzyme Q10: as soon as I started taking this (you can get it from supermarkets) my fasting glucose normalised, my daily tiredness vanished and my aching muscles and joints got better. If you have mitochondrial diabetes it is important never to take statins, as they impede Q10 take-up which, on top of an existing deficiency, is dangerous and unpleasant.

I'd recommend talking to your GP about a referral to a diabetes consultant: IFG that goes on for some time without developing into T1 or T2 is an oddity that needs investigation. If you want to try self-help, buy and try some co-enzyme Q10: to me it made such a difference within a couple of days that I knew what the test results would be well before they came back.

Kate

Glink

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks. @kesun, that is particularly of interest, as I am perhaps in a similar boat with an uncommon type of diabetes.

Glink

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So, I ate very little and hardly any carbs for the past 3 days, pretty much all w/in a 10hr daytime span, and finally achieved a normal FBG this morning. However, eating this little leaves me hungry all the time and dizzy when I stand up, so it doesn't feel super sustainable. Also my trousers are large again. Will experiment with adding more fats, I guess.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Going back to your original question, the www.bloodsugar101.com website has a section on the different ways that impaired glucose tolerance develops, and the time it may take to do so.

Its a while since I read the pages in question, but you may find something relevant to yourself there. Plus, of course, the website is a wonderful source of information on a whole range of studies and diabetes related information.