Illness and diabetes

kellie lees

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My husband was recently diagnosed with type 1 in January. Last night he had several hypos and a severe case of diarrhoea. The diarrhoea meant he was unable to get his sugar levels up. We ended up having a paramedic come out who actually did nothing but sit with him and then wait for his levels to come up. I am just seeking any advice on how to look after him today as this is the first time he's had a bug with his diabetes.
He is checking his levels and they are in range. He isn't taking any insulin as he "honeymooning"
Should he take his long lasting insulin tonight or not as I don't want him to hypo again? He isn't eating and is struggling to keep food and drink down?
ANY ADVICE WOULD BE APPRECIATED THANK YOU

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
@kellie lees , maybe best that you contact his diabetes clinic or gp practice and ask for advice, it's only 5.30pm so you should catch one or the other.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Both are shut thank you

NHS 111 will be able to assist, being ill and unable to eat or drink and suffering from hypo's needs some professional input IMHO.

fletchweb

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
That's a tough one, I've been in a similar predicament in past years. As a result I have a Glucagen Pen - that allows you to introduce sugar directly in to your body bypassing that affected digestive system. The funny thing is ... I've yet to use it - since purchasing one I haven't had any stomach ailments, the pen has expired so I should get another one.

You might want to go that route in the future. You may never use it but then again - if your husband can;t keep food down - A glucagen Pen is a nice thing to have.

D

Deleted Account

Usually, the stress illness causes to your body results in a need for more sugar so, usually, when I am ill, my BG rises. The only exception to this is vomiting or diah... (I won't attempt to spell it).
Whilst I cannot advise your husband, if I was ill but not experiencing either of these, I would definitely continue to take my basal insulin.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As a result I have a Glucagen Pen - that allows you to introduce sugar directly in to your body bypassing that affected digestive system.

No it doesn't. A Glucagen hypostop kit has a pen that lets you mix up glucagon to inject. Injecting glucagon isn't injecting sugar directly into your body. Glucagon is a hormone that tells your liver to release glucose. So glucagon doesn't work to rescue you from hypos if you're drunk, if you've got liver problems, if you've already exhausted your liver's glucose stores with previous hypos/recent use of glucagon/endurance exercise. It's good to be aware of what it is so you can be aware if it's limitations. And the flood of hormones can also make you feel pretty ropey after using glucagon.

@kellie lees the sick day rules say type 1s should never stop taking your basal. But I would query whether there would be such a prohibition for a honeymooning type 1 who doesn't need bolus insulin. I think it probably is worth getting some advice from 111.

Hope he's doing alright and gets better soon.

kellie lees

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Usually, the stress illness causes to your body results in a need for more sugar so, usually, when I am ill, my BG rises. The only exception to this is vomiting or diah... (I won't attempt to spell it).
Whilst I cannot advise your husband, if I was ill but not experiencing either of these, I would definitely continue to take my basal insulin.

Thank you. My husband does have severe diarrhoea at the moment which is why I'm wondering about the long lasting?!

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you. My husband does have severe diarrhoea at the moment which is why I'm wondering about the long lasting?!

If it's Novovirus that's horrible. I had it and really struggled to get my sugars up. I ended up chewing up glucose tablets and holding them in my mouth. This worked better than my usual emergency Lucozade.

If he's not vomiting, also try sips of Lucozade or Coke held in his mouth and slowly swallowed.

Test his blood sugar frequently. I was testing two or three times an hour during the hardest part of the bug. I had vomiting only, but try my advice to see if that helps keep his sugar up.

Dairygrade

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Having diabetes
Hi i think you should do what catapilla said and phone 111i don't want to alarm you but you certainly should get advice sooner rather than later just to be safe let us know please.

Reactions: fletchweb

fletchweb

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
No it doesn't. A Glucagen hypostop kit has a pen that lets you mix up glucagon to inject. Injecting glucagon isn't injecting sugar directly into your body. Glucagon is a hormone that tells your liver to release glucose. So glucagon doesn't work to rescue you from hypos if you're drunk, if you've got liver problems, if you've already exhausted your liver's glucose stores with previous hypos/recent use of glucagon/endurance exercise. It's good to be aware of what it is so you can be aware if it's limitations. And the flood of hormones can also make you feel pretty ropey after using glucagon. .

Gee that sucks! Maybe it's a good thing I never had to use it then. :)