Illness and type 1

Kelly95

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Work, having diabetes and bloody mushrooms!
Hi all,

Does anyone else find once they get one illness such as a chest infection or cold other illnesses seem to pile on top?

Just curious :)

I had a chest infection then a cold and it turned into flu -.- not to mention the occasional urine infection every now and again...jolly days ;)

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
Hi all,

Does anyone else find once they get one illness such as a chest infection or cold other illnesses seem to pile on top?

I had a chest infection then a cold and it turned into flu -.- not to mention the occasional urine infection every now and again...jolly days ;)
Although I'm not Type 1 any more, I did find that when I was poorly controlled, I used to get one thing on top of another in addition to fungal problems and cracked skin, especially hands and fingers. When my HbA1c settled down to a decent level, I could work amongst schoolchildren without gaining yet another lurg. It would be interesting to know whether your readings are erratic or on the high side. I hope you manage to sort this out, since I always felt this was the most irritating thing about diabetes, along with unexplained diarrhoea, which came on when readings were very high, or suddenly high having achieved a steady level of 6-7. Good luck

Kelly95

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Although I'm not Type 1 any more, I did find that when I was poorly controlled, I used to get one thing on top of another in addition to fungal problems and cracked skin, especially hands and fingers. When my HbA1c settled down to a decent level, I could work amongst schoolchildren without gaining yet another lurg. It would be interesting to know whether your readings are erratic or on the high side. I hope you manage to sort this out, since I always felt this was the most irritating thing about diabetes, along with unexplained diarrhoea, which came on when readings were very high, or suddenly high having achieved a steady level of 6-7. Good luck

Hi Grant!

Not type 1 anymore? If you don't mind me asking that is :)

Yeah that's how it tends to be just one on top of the other haha, it's no good at all and yep definitely the most annoying thing about type 1.

My sugars are very erratic at the moment whilst I'm ill, I'd have sugars of 18 - 22 but then other times it would be 7 - 13. Although at the moment they are testing for an IBD or bacterial infection in my digestive tract therefore it may be something to do with that.

And thank you!

Reactions: Grant_Vicat

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi @Kelly95
welcome to the forum ! :)

I find that when I get a cold or man-flu LOL:D -- it can take longer to clear up .

with an infection our blood sugars do become harder to control -- do you have a copy of sick day rules for type 1
here is a copy for reference http://www.leicestershirediabetes.org.uk/438.html

Nidge247

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all,

Hi @Kelly95

You will find other conditions piling in as your resistance is lowered when you have an illness. It's common and not just applicable to people with D; however because we have become more aware of our bodies quirks, we notice it more.
I am battling a cold at present, determined not to let it develop into flu - so keeping interaction with others to a minimum as lots of friends have it at present. It does caused elevated BGs (as with any infection), but reducing carbs further and taking on extra fluids is helping me shift it and keep my levels mostly in the 5-6 range (normally 4-5 range excluding DP of 7)

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Hi Grant!

Not type 1 anymore? If you don't mind me asking that is :)

Yeah that's how it tends to be just one on top of the other haha, it's no good at all and yep definitely the most annoying thing about type 1.

My sugars are very erratic at the moment whilst I'm ill, I'd have sugars of 18 - 22 but then other times it would be 7 - 13. Although at the moment they are testing for an IBD or bacterial infection in my digestive tract therefore it may be something to do with that.

And thank you!
//Hi kelly, Got rid of the devil of 54 years after a kidney/pancreas transplant in 2013. I enjoy the freedom of being able to drive without fear of hypos, and the still novel loss of injections. On the downside my fine motor control has taken a severe bashing because both immuno-suppressants cause tremors. At least I'm alive way beyond expectations! When I was 20 I couldn't believe how keeping a level HbA1c (tricky) made so much difference to all my body systems, including eyes, skin and sleep. That's the boring but worthwhile reality. All the best

Kelly95

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi @Kelly95
welcome to the forum ! :)

I find that when I get a cold or man-flu LOL:D -- it can take longer to clear up .

with an infection our blood sugars do become harder to control -- do you have a copy of sick day rules for type 1
here is a copy for reference http://www.leicestershirediabetes.org.uk/438.html

Hi Himtoo,

Yeah it's awful, I guess it's worse because since I've been diagnosed in haven't been very ill with it until now. 2 years of smooth sailing then a random kick in the side as it were.

Thank you very much for those links I'll make sure to have a look at them :)

Kelly

Reactions: himtoo

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi Himtoo,

Yeah it's awful, I guess it's worse because since I've been diagnosed in haven't been very ill with it until now. 2 years of smooth sailing then a random kick in the side as it were.

Thank you very much for those links I'll make sure to have a look at them :)

Kelly
Hi @Kelly95
I am glad you have had 2 years of good sailing -- stick with it -- you will get your mojo back !!

LOL -- read your profile -- saw you like alkaline trio !! one of my good bands too !!
check out Dance Hall Crashers and No Use For A Name !!

Kelly95

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi @Kelly95

You will find other conditions piling in as your resistance is lowered when you have an illness. It's common and not just applicable to people with D; however because we have become more aware of our bodies quirks, we notice it more.
I am battling a cold at present, determined not to let it develop into flu - so keeping interaction with others to a minimum as lots of friends have it at present. It does caused elevated BGs (as with any infection), but reducing carbs further and taking on extra fluids is helping me shift it and keep my levels mostly in the 5-6 range (normally 4-5 range excluding DP of 7)

Hi Nidge,

Ah yes I always just assume it's diabetics amongst other people with long term health conditions. But yes noticing it more would certainly make so much sense :)

I think mine ended up developing into some kind of odd flu where some days I have energy and other days I feel rather awful.

I hope you get better soon and don't let that pesky cold turn to flu.

All the best,

Kelly :)

Kelly95

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
//Hi kelly, Got rid of the devil of 54 years after a kidney/pancreas transplant in 2013. I enjoy the freedom of being able to drive without fear of hypos, and the still novel loss of injections. On the downside my fine motor control has taken a severe bashing because both immuno-suppressants cause tremors. At least I'm alive way beyond expectations! When I was 20 I couldn't believe how keeping a level HbA1c (tricky) made so much difference to all my body systems, including eyes, skin and sleep. That's the boring but worthwhile reality. All the best

Ah that's fantastic! Minus the tremors of course.

Yes all the different ways it affects our bodies isn't the nicest but I'm stuck with it so it's all about working my best to get it back to normal.

Thank-you :)

Kelly

Kelly95

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi @Kelly95
I am glad you have had 2 years of good sailing -- stick with it -- you will get your mojo back !!

LOL -- read your profile -- saw you like alkaline trio !! one of my good bands too !!
check out Dance Hall Crashers and No Use For A Name !!

Thank-you! I'm sure I will, I feel like moving too a warm country for the winter each year haha :')

Yeah I think I kind of took it for granted as I didn't have to work too hard up until now to control it.

Ah yes I absolutely adore trio! And I'll make sure to check them out ^^

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Is it those suppressant drugs that stop the immune system attacking the new beta cells.....?

Reactions: Grant_Vicat

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Is it those suppressant drugs that stop the immune system attacking the new beta cells.....?
Hi @novorapidboi26 The primary aim of the drugs is to stop the immune system attacking the donor kidney and pancreas. Interesting question, I can only assume that my immune system has been so put in its place that it hasn't the super aggression it had in 1959 and therefore I have gone for over four years (touch wood) without an invasion. I am subconsciously wary, even so.
Look after yourself!

Betty98

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Kelly.

I literally posted a similar message yesterday! I find it so frustrating, before diagnosis I never used to get poorly! Now im always catching something!

Hope you are well! :)
Beth.