Type 2 illness

tinker1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rainy days
I have been poorly for two weeks with a virus. My blood sugars are normally well controlled but since been ill they havent gone under ten and up to 16 after a meal. I have visited my Gp and he has told me not to worry about these figures only come back if they are in the 20s. I am on antibiotics but these figures are scaring me. My Hbac is due now but he said this will not be effected and not to worry. Any advice would be appreciated

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi @tinker1 Any illness or infection is likely to raise your bg. Your GP is right. And usually you would only need medical attention if you go into the 20s.
Your HbA1c result will be based on your bg levels over the last 8-12 weeks, so a couple of weeks of raised bgs might raise it a bit, but not too much.
Don't stress about it, that could raise your bg too.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been poorly for two weeks with a virus. My blood sugars are normally well controlled but since been ill they havent gone under ten and up to 16 after a meal. I have visited my Gp and he has told me not to worry about these figures only come back if they are in the 20s. I am on antibiotics but these figures are scaring me. My Hbac is due now but he said this will not be effected and not to worry. Any advice would be appreciated
What @Prem51 said. Really. It'll be okay. Just keep an eye on your BS, and try not to worry too much. How/what are you eating and drinking right now? Make sure you stay hydrated, and if you do go into the 20's, make the call. Otherwise... Just make sure you get pampered, rest a lot, and if possible, just sleep.

Reactions: Prem51