Illness

Charisma_1630

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
For the past 2 weeks I've had a cold and Afew days ago went to the doctor with a throat infection.

In the mornings my sugars have been going up to 17 ish after breakfast. So each day I was giving 2 units to bring it back down and it came down fine. So I decided instead of waiting for it to go up I'll add the 2 units to the breakfast dose, but it still shot up high. The rest of the day still isn't quite normal but it's not goin as crazy as breakfast is. Is it normal for the illness to just affect this one time of the day more than any other??

Btw I've tested for keytones and 17 isn't amazingly high for me before people say get to hospital as I've just done a carb counting course and got it better controlled!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Quite normal for bg to rise in times of illness, you may need to increase the morning dose until such times that you feel better, careful monitoring of your bg will tell you when to cut back again.

Hope you feel better soon!

Charisma_1630

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I tried raising it the 2 units and it still went up. I'm scared to do it more incase I suddenly don't need the extra. Very frustrating!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I tried raising it the 2 units and it still went up. I'm scared to do it more incase I suddenly don't need the extra. Very frustrating!

This is why it's important to monitor your bg more closely when your ill, if you Google Sick Day Rules in type 1's you should find some useful websites to read on how to cope when unwell.

Patch13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If it is a bit higher than usual all day have you considered putting up your basal insulin a little?

If you're not sure and are concerned maybe you could contact your DSN and ask.

I would also suggest lots of testing - annoying but necessary!!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Charisma_1630

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's not all day it's just in the morning some days lunch too. Once I bring it down it stays down so don't wanna up the basil. I saw my nurse yesterday as I was all panicked about it. She basically just reassured me that it's just cause I'm ill, keep doing what I'm doing and it'll be better once I'm well again!

Miklo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
For the past 2 weeks I've had a cold and Afew days ago went to the doctor with a throat infection.

In the mornings my sugars have been going up to 17 ish after breakfast. So each day I was giving 2 units to bring it back down and it came down fine. So I decided instead of waiting for it to go up I'll add the 2 units to the breakfast dose, but it still shot up high. The rest of the day still isn't quite normal but it's not goin as crazy as breakfast is. Is it normal for the illness to just affect this one time of the day more than any other??

Btw I've tested for keytones and 17 isn't amazingly high for me before people say get to hospital as I've just done a carb counting course and got it better controlled!
Hi

Firstly get used to it and test as necessary to ensure speady recovery. Secondly it is a shock sometime you may only feel slightly ill but the mid morning test of 17+ is alarming and it happens and is normal. This is because you cannot predict when ill just when the tipping point is to give you an example I had a test of 22 one mid morning and this was similiar to you sore throat starting a new job so some mild stress involved. Did not want to seem a nuisance constantly testing especially on a work trial.

My strategy for this is to inject to drop it if reading 22 IN MY CASE ONLY I would inject 6 units based on past experience and taking activity inot account on this particular day I was installing flue liners and pointing a ridge tile therefore working at height was an added risk . I have type 1 35 years daignosed as a teenager and never passed out or any complications but its a damm nuisance when you are work with a cold as you have to test more often to be safe.

In summary it is important to keep excellent control when ill for a speedy recovery you will lag the illness initially but it is soon brought under control do not be scared to adjust your dose and test as necessary at worst if you get it wrong treat yourself to sum wine gums.

Good Luck

Charisma_1630

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Still being a pain. This morning it went up to 21 after breakfast :-( then I took 3 units which usually brings me down. I tested 2 hours later and was 23!!!! So I took another 3 units. Tested keytones and it's 0.4. Texted sugar again 45 mins later and it's 19 so come down a little. Very stressful I wanted to go out this afternoon but need to stay in and now and keep an eye on it. Fed up of this cold now :-(

Bit confused about why the first 3 units did absolutely nothing tho!

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm in the same boat. I've stayed off work today because of it but I really need to go back in tomorrow

I wake up high and stay high all morning despite correction doses. Fine in the afternoon then start to creep up again after dinner. I've been taking a correction dose around 3 am too but it doesn't seem to do much! No ketones though thankfully

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Miklo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Still being a pain. This morning it went up to 21 after breakfast :-( then I took 3 units which usually brings me down. I tested 2 hours later and was 23!!!! So I took another 3 units. Tested keytones and it's 0.4. Texted sugar again 45 mins later and it's 19 so come down a little. Very stressful I wanted to go out this afternoon but need to stay in and now and keep an eye on it. Fed up of this cold now :-(

Bit confused about why the first 3 units did absolutely nothing tho!
I will give you an example why 3 units is nothing firstly your morning blood sugar levels are always difficult to bring down according to DAFNE rules even when well.

I tested my blood 1st thing in the morning and it was 9 however I was not well and with experience thought I will inject 10 units opposed to usual 6, I did not have my breakfast and waited 2 hours and tested again and with nothing to eat the reading was 14. This is when I get serious based in experience I pumped in 14 waited 1 hr and without testing gave my self 6 units as normal for breakfast. What I have done is attacked it and all my injections later in the day will stay more or less normal and I never adjust the Lantus. Its a method I have used for years this occasion it was a weekend and I use a similar techniue at work but usually cut the carbs as it is safer. That is just how a cold virus etc ups the dose but as said earlier be confident and be in control. Some illnesses are worse than others but the principle is the same I just get annoyed and hate missing breakfast even when ill.