I'm a Commuinity First Responder & last weekend I saved a life, feeling weird

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So I'm posting this here as there's not many other places online I could share this info.
I've been an active CFR for 8 years, we arrive on scene with the defib & the training when there's a 999 call in your locality.
We're activated if the caller uses the words chest pains, choking, stroke or cardiac arrest.

Anyway, Friday morning my phone went off, chest pains, ambulance call-out about 3kms away.
Made it in 8 mins, have to put on PPE.
Patient was in difficulty, we administered aspirin after doing checks, seemed to be improving then gone in seconds.

Got them on the floor, directed colleague to begin CPR, then got defib attached.
Shocked after 2 mins, nearly back, continued CPR for further 60 secs & got them back.
They were completely lucid, no knowledge of the previous 3 mins.

Ambulance arrived about 5 mins later, all good, recovering in hospital.
You train for this, you expect this but there's a rush & small PTSD afterwards.
Reminded me of blood sugar.

Family are euphoric on social media, made me out as a hero & there's been a huge pile on of gratitude.
I'm not a superhero, just did what I was trained to do.
Would do it again tomorrow . . . . feel weird, anyway, learn CPR & how to use a defib.

It was good to share.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Well done you!

I remember when a flat opposite me, the fire alarm went off, waking me up around 9a.m., I had just got to sleep cos I was on nights, I looked across, seen the smoke and my instincts took over, I put on my dressing gown as I raced across, climbed the stairs and I banged on the door and shouted, I heard coughing and pushed the door open, I can't remember how, took stock of the where the smoke was coming from and where the coughing was coming from, I put the hem of my dressing gown in my mouth and across my nose! I didn't see flames, so I just went into the bedroom cos the residents weren't in the living room, I opened the door, the handle of the door wasn't hot, the man was trying to open the window the woman was coughing in bed, I shouted at them to get out as the doors were open, I started coughing, I didn't know where the fire was, and pushed the pair of them out and down the stairs!
The fire tender arrived and the first fireman called me an idiot, the couple weren't happy because there was no discernible fire, just smoke! I never did get to find out what the cause was! When the wife found out there was a lot shouting and swearing at me!

No good deed goes unpunished!