I'm a newbie - please be gentle

manc603

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello.

I was diagnosed as Type 2 last Friday after a fasting test showed an hba1c of 8.5% (69). the fasting level was 10.4 average.
I already knew something was wrong after my vision started to become blurred some time ago. The test was carried out 2.5 weeks ago and between that 2.5 weeks and last Friday, I substantially increased my excercise from 1 -2 times a week to 5 times a week (30 mins rowing - distance 6km)

I have almost an obsession now with testing my blood with an Accucheck Aviva to see what I can, can't eat etc etc. I am following a really low carb diet and the weight is now starting to come off (6lbs in 2 weeks so far).

I have noticed a gradual waking level drop for me in this time from 10.9 using my Accuchek (doc said 10.4) to 7.2 this morning. On occassion my levels can go up to 11mmol after eating and then do reduce again to around 8 or lower during the day. At bedtime I am around 6.2 as that's post gym etc.

I do eat a few nuts before bed (brazil or walnut) but not sure if this is ok or not.

My blood pressure is high and anywhere between 135/75 and 170/96 although after the gym it is usually closer to the 135/75 or 140/75 area.

I am not on any medication at the moment for the diabetes and have an appointment to go and see the nurse to discuss plan etc. My GP said they will do another test in 3 months and see the hba1c reading before deciding on whether I can continue with just diet and exercise or whether I will need tablets.

The worst thing I am experiencing right now is the blood pressure 'stress and worry' and that of being diabetic. The more I think about it the more I can't sleep or I worry. which in turn I am sure raises my pressure. This is all compounded by both my mother and mother-in-laws passing away (unrelated illnesses to mine) in the last 5 months, so it's been a horrendously stressful time.

My points here I guess are that in the last 2 weeks or so, I seem to be reducing my BG levels and I think the blood pressure by a small amount. I am sure (as I am over weight still (230lbs and 5ft 11) th blood pressure will lower.

Does anyone here take Kwai Garlic tablets for blood pressure? Do they work?

Sorry for rambling on, but would like to say hello anyway....

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hi manc603 and welcome to the forum :)

Members will be along soon with advice on your specific points. In the meantime here is the information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find well over 30,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes ... rains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips
The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Carry on the good work with diet and exercise as I think you will continue to lose weight and the sugars and blood pressure will also hopefully reduce. Don't get stressed out. Type 2 resulting from being overweight should recede, but not go away, when you reach a normal weight. If you need medication you will probably be started on Metformin which is very safe drug which most of us are on and it has very few side effects (if you have bowel problems do ask for the SR Slow Release version).

kentish maid

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
people who tell me I don't need to test my blood
i am type 2 and when I saw the dietitian she said an ounce of nuts was good for you but don't have them in the evening because of the fat content.Hope this helps.

wendy52

Dislikes
Rude people
Foul language
most fruit
judgemental people
Hi manc603,
I`m new here aswell. So far i have found them all to be a lovely bunch of people with lots of great advise. If you have any other questions you may find somebody else has asked the same thing here at some time and there are lots of very useful tips and some things you hadn`t thought of ( if you are anything like me :) ) . I`m still livin in a blurr and confused about what i can n can`t have but i know i will get plenty of help here :) . Welcome to the best place to be.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hello and welcome to the forum :D

Best wishes RRB